Applies to 2006 - 07 (ALL) Ridgelines

[FONT=Helvetica,Bold]
SYMPTOM​
[/FONT]
While driving under light acceleration, you hear an
intermittent pinging, rattling, or squealing from the
engine compartment. The noise can easily be mistaken
for an engine ping or spark knock. In some cases, the
noise happens only during engine warm up.
[FONT=Helvetica,Bold]
PROBABLE CAUSE​
[/FONT]
The intermediate shaft heat shield is loose in its
mounting bushings.
[FONT=Helvetica,Bold]
CORRECTIVE ACTION​
[/FONT]
Replace the intermediate shaft heat shield and, if
needed, any specified nuts or gaskets.​

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Thanks Joe.... this is one for me... :D

·
Administrator
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a link or copy of the actual TSB?

TIA
Yes, I have a copy, but it's too large to post here and too big to email. The actual TSB has a sound file attached (as an example of the unusual sounds) and is nearly 10MB in size.

I will post more info as time allows.

-Joe

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
For something as important as a full copy of a TSB, isn't there something the site managers can do to defeat the size restrictions so we can all share in this information fully? Maybe create a special topic area to only house the full TSB files and only one version so that space is not compromised on the entire site.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I am having the TSB 07-028 done today along with TSB 06-062 and TSB 04-040; transmission and judder.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Hey Martin, how did the fix for TSB 07-028 work out? :confused:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
They replaced the heat shield, bolts and gasket and the sound is gone. Every time I approached this one hill from a down slope to an incline on a good 9 % grade , I could hear a pinging from the engine compartment when the rpms went up. It never happened when accelerating under other conditions. It has not repeated itself on that road since and I take it twice a week to go to two yards.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Appreciate the update. I'm due for an oil change so I may try and schedule this in the next week or two myself. Thanks !! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been noticing this sound myself for a while now, why didn't I look here first?? Will update how the fix went....thx

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I had this TSB applied yesterday for what I would describe as a very high pitch screech that could barely be heard unless a window was open. To me, it sounded more like a belt that was slipping and it was most noticeable at shift points. I haven't driven the truck more than a few miles since the fix but, so far, the noise seems to be gone. :)

I have to comment that my service writer was somewhat taken aback when I whipped out the printed TSB and began discussing the issue like I knew my stuff. She wrote it up as if ordered to do so by a supervisor. ;)

Being well informed is priceless and I appreciate it greatly when csimo and/or others offer these bulletins. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a metallic noise for the last week that I could only hear while accelerating. I could hear it at 15 and 25 MPH (shift points?) Took it to the dealer and found that the heat shield over the front catalytic converter had corrosion and was loose. He said it was probably from road salt. I have Honda Care, but he said it was not under warranty (the catalytic converter would have been). I am going to get it replaced ($170) at my next service. Meanwhile they rigged it up so that it won't fall off anytime soon, and the noise is not there anymore either.

This wouldn't by chance be the same heat shield as that covered under TSB 07-028, would it?

I actually travel through the Western Maryland mountains on a weekly basis. They use a liquid chemical there that is probably more concentrated than regular road salt. I have been very bad about washing my Ridge. Now I'm worried about other possible damage. On the good side, it stays outside in the cold all of the time.

2006 RTL
63,000 Miles

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey buddyweiser,

Unfortunately your service advisor is correct. No exhaust system parts are covered under the HondaCare service contract. Any TSB can be covered under HondaCare provided it is applicable to a covered item. The catalytic converter is covered under the federal emissions 8/80 warranty.

Remember a TSB is not a warranty extension. A TSB is simply a bulletin to assist techs in diagnosing and repairing common issues. The bulletin even says "These repairs can be completed under the new car warranty..." or something to that effect.

Also HondaCare is not an extended warranty or an extension of your factory warranty. It is in fact a service contract administered by HondaCare a subsidary of Honda Motor Co. So they have have their own rules as to what is covered and what is not covered. The things listed in your new car warranty booklet are not the same things listed in HondaCare service contract booklet.

When you go to have your Ridgeline repaired, ask to see the service manager and use these words "I would like to have goodwill coverage on this item." (Silly I know, but you have to request goodwill coverage for any to be offered.) He can call the Honda DPSM (District Parts and Service Manager) and see if Honda will extend any coverage for you. You may luck out and get some or full coverage on this.

Good Luck!

Fred

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the info Fred. I guess I was a little confused about the specifics of a TSB. In my only experience with one a while back, Toyota fixed something for free that they said was "covered" under a TSB, so that's what I've always thought about them. But I guess that's what Recalls are for.

I won't ask for any goodwill. My dealer has been very good to me. But again, thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem with my 93 Explorer. Easy to repair. Use the longuest stainless stell pipe clamp the one with the screw on the side that when you turn it slide on and thigten. Wrap one at each end and you good. You find these in any plumbing supply shop.

The main problem is that protector (sstell)is welded to stell and the result is poor ssteel that will corode fasther.

P.S. excuse my poor english

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wish I knew what shield the tsb is referring to. I put my truck up on the hoist and found there to be no heat shields anywhere near the intermediate shaft. I banged in all the ones I could find and no rattle. I would love a copy of this tsb also if anybody has it. I'm stumped on this one.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
For something as important as a full copy of a TSB, isn't there something the site managers can do to defeat the size restrictions so we can all share in this information fully? Maybe create a special topic area to only house the full TSB files and only one version so that space is not compromised on the entire site.
I've had this issue trying to upload multiple page .pdf files ( Pages from FSM).. increasing size permissions would be a blessing !
:act030:

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,190 Posts
Let me see if I can attach it to this message.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts