Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok so I have put my truck on the hoist several times chasing this metal rattling noise. I want to believe it's this shield. I have checked it several times and it's in no way shape or form loose. Has anybody seen a bad one? Should it be obvious?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
165 Posts
I whacked mine lightly with a rubber mallet and the intermediate heat shield made a rattling noise. The dealer replaced the heat shield however the noise didn't go away. That was 7000 miles ago. Either I've gotten used to it or the noise has lessened some. Maybe it's the Mobil 1 synthetic I switched to? :act002:

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2006 sounds like spark knock, but only under accelleration under load at low RPMs... which is exactly when you'd hear ignition ping. Convenient.

If my noise is a loose heat shield (I know what that sounds like) I'll eat it.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
My 2006 sounds like spark knock, but only under accelleration under load at low RPMs... which is exactly when you'd hear ignition ping. Convenient.

If my noise is a loose heat shield (I know what that sounds like) I'll eat it.
For what it's worth, this intermediate shaft heat shield (subject of TSB) noise does not sound the same as typical heat shield noises, like the ones you'll get with the cat converters up front at exhaust manifolds.
So don't be so quick to rule it out based simply on the fact that it doesn't sound like what you think it would.
The cat converter failure is manifested by broken sheet metal at mounting fasteners, which rattles against itself. This is most likely the sound you are used to & would expect with something referred to as a "heat shield noise".
This intermediate shaft heat cover as it's called, is unique. It's mounted with special (vibration damping?) bushings that are built in to the cover itself. They have a sort of metal mesh between the bushing & the cover that suspend the cover in the bushing, (fasteners clamp on bushing, not cover if I recall correctly, working "sort of" like a shoulder bolt would). I'm guessing that's what fails, but on that I'm not entirely certain. The point is, this does not make the same sound as what you might expect. Too bad we don't have that sound file that accompanies the TSB in it's full form.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You might be right.

I wonder if I could add some different dampening fasteners without pulling half my truck apart to get the CV shaft out...

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I looked at that . . . ain't gonna happen. :(

I would try to find a way to get a listen to that sound file in the TSB before concluding this cover is the culprit. It's not something you want to change if you don't have to. I actually had one bought, but when considering how much work I was about to embark on, I decided on one more grueling inspection for any other possible source for this (I had been chasing it for months before concluding it "must" be this heat cover). I finally located a 'bad' place on my front cat, and after fixing that, all my noise was gone. 'Returned Int. Shaft Heat Cover for refund.
A little background: I did not realize back then that this intermediate shaft heat cover sound at failure was different from any of the other heat shield sounds at failure. While doing my inspections, I saw that I could 'move' the Int. shaft heat cover in it's mounts. For whatever reason (mostly 'cause I couldn't find the failure elsewhere) I jumped to the conclusion that this was not supposed to happen & that the cover mounts had failed; NOT the case. This is where those mesh vibration bushings are, and by design, they are not tight enough to keep you from pushing the cover around if you pushed it with a tool of some sort (it's designed with play in the mounting holes' diameter, and the mesh prevents rigid hold on cover).
So . . . mine was not this heat cover, thankfully. Maybe yours is, but if it was me I'd want to know for sure before swapping it out . . . or at least be certain I'd ruled out other potential sources that might be simpler to repair! Try to get that sound file! !
'Will be real interested to see what you find.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts