Discussion Starter #1
Applies To: 2006–07 Ridgeline – ALL

BACKGROUND
The 2P wire harness connector on the HVAC blower
motor can become damaged if a front seat passenger
accidentally kicks it. Over time, a damaged blower
motor connector could overheat, causing it or the
insulation on its wires to melt. A melted blower motor
connector causes the blower motor to stop working.
Melted wire insulation on the blower motor connector
can create a short circuit that blows the blower motor
fuse, causes a failure of the HVAC control unit (blower
motor operates only on high speed) or, in rare cases,
may cause a fire.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Check the blower motor 2P connector, its coupler, and
its wires. If the connector, the coupler, and the wires
are OK, install a blower motor kit. If the 2P connector,
its coupler, or its wires are damaged, replace the
blower motor, and install a blower motor kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
What is the range of 2006 Ridgeline VIN numbers included in this safety recall?
Thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thanks Joe--

Appreciate you posting this information. I got confused when I read under the Customer Notification the VIN number eligibility on the TSB. I have moved a couple of times since we bought the Ridge new and doubt I will see the letter. I can hear my local Honda service center now, stalling to complete the work without the letter.

"CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of affected vehicles will receive a notification of this campaign. An example of the customer notification is at the end of this service bulletin.
Not all vehicles in the Applies To range are affected by this campaign. To verify vehicle eligibility, you must check at least one of these items:
• The customer has a notification letter.
• The vehicle is shown as eligible on a VIN status inquiry."

Thanks

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Thanks Joe--

Appreciate you posting this information. I got confused when I read under the Customer Notification the VIN number eligibility on the TSB. I have moved a couple of times since we bought the Ridge new and doubt I will see the letter. I can hear my local Honda service center now, stalling to complete the work without the letter.

"CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of affected vehicles will receive a notification of this campaign. An example of the customer notification is at the end of this service bulletin.
Not all vehicles in the Applies To range are affected by this campaign. To verify vehicle eligibility, you must check at least one of these items:
• The customer has a notification letter.
• The vehicle is shown as eligible on a VIN status inquiry."

Thanks
You can update your address with Honda @ www.ahm-ownerlink.com.

·
Administrator
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reality is that I'm told this applies to ALL 2006 Ridgeline's and some early 2007's, but I don't have access to further info.

I'm thinking Honda may want to inspect all 2006 - 2007 units.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Dan, got it completed, Thanks!

Joe, Thanks for the note. I will let you know how I make out. Do you think dealers will have to order parts, or do you think they will be in stock?

Best,
Duane

·
Administrator
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joe, Thanks for the note. I will let you know how I make out. Do you think dealers will have to order parts, or do you think they will be in stock?

Best,
Duane
I have no idea on dealer inventory on the replacement parts. I assume they wouldn't schedule an appointment unless they had the parts, but you never know.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
My wiring, blower motor and related electronics were replaced, no charge, last summer after my meltdown. I wonder if the replacement parts now need to be replaced? I guess I'll call the dealership tomorrow to find out whats' what!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Applies To: 2006–07 Ridgeline – ALL

BACKGROUND
The 2P wire harness connector on the HVAC blower
motor can become damaged if a front seat passenger
accidentally kicks it. Over time, a damaged blower
motor connector could overheat, causing it or the
insulation on its wires to melt. A melted blower motor
connector causes the blower motor to stop working.
Melted wire insulation on the blower motor connector
can create a short circuit that blows the blower motor
fuse, causes a failure of the HVAC control unit (blower
motor operates only on high speed) or, in rare cases,
may cause a fire.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Check the blower motor 2P connector, its coupler, and
its wires. If the connector, the coupler, and the wires
are OK, install a blower motor kit. If the 2P connector,
its coupler, or its wires are damaged, replace the
blower motor, and install a blower motor kit.
Thanks for posting this. Do you have any idea of how soon the recall will show up for a particular vehicle on the Honda Owner's Link? I just checked mine and it is still showing "no recalls." I have a 2006 RL and the blower fan started acting strange about six or eight months ago. It started speeding up and slowing down by itself and now it just doesn't go at all unless I thump the knob. Then it operates only on high speed.

I looked at the part of the wiring harness I can see and pulled the connector and there doesn't appear to be any damage. But I will do a more thorough check based on your attached bulletin.

Sure would be nice if I could get a dealer to do the right thing and work with me on getting this fixed. But the one I went to to look into the problem a couple of weeks ago wasn't very responsive - they wanted $900 to replace a "transistor" and the "climate control unit." Then I found out about this impending recall and thought that might help. But I'm wondering - assuming my vehicle is recalled - if they will say "nope, no damage.." and just put on the required new cover and tell me my blower problem is not related.

It just doesn't seem right that a "reliable" Honda vehicle would develop this kind of problem at 50k miles.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Your A/C control unit problem and this wiring harness problem are likely not related. But ask them (nicely!) to take a look anyway - maybe they'll pick up the costs.

Honda makes hundreds of thousands of vehicles a year, and sometimes you just get unlucky. Sucks, but that's how it is.

It's the difference between "Nearly always reliable" (99.999% reliable) and "Always reliable" (100% reliable).

(GM vehicles in the 80's? Defect rate was around 1.2, meaning every owner had at least one defect.)

Chip H.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm taking mine in Thursday. I have an 06 that I bought brand new. I have smelled the burning wire smell before. I even inquired with the techs at my dealership. None of them were able to figure out what the issue was. Nevertheless, thank God and KInock on wood, that my Ridge has not had any major issues. I do remember my led button light for the heated seats once went out.

Now if there can be a recall for the map lights :act047:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
A copy of the customer notification letter is attached to the TSB.

This TSB will be issued to dealers tomorrow (3/15/2010).
Joe, as always, you have demonstrated to all that you are truly in a class of your own!;)

I thank you, sir!:cool::)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
It's very interesting that the problem is attributed to the passenger "kicking" the blower motor connector, but Honda is changing all affected wiring harnesses regardless of visible damage. Hmmmm. Seems like a defective harness to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What are the odds? My blower went out completely on the 14th, two days ago. 'Was working, then quit, no speeds at all. I did have a large passenger that day. Possible he kicked the wiring?

I tried inspecting the wiring connector, but can't get it to come loose, and haven't gone to the extent of removing the cover. The wiring does look brownish like it may be burnt. I checked some fuses under the hood, nothing looks blown. Would this problem result in the blower going out w/o blowing a fuse?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was talking with my service department manager (Don Wessel Honda, Springfield, MO) on Monday and he told me there was a recall issued Friday, 12 March 2010 for my 2007 Ridge and it was for the blower motor relay, which could overheat. He did not have the parts in yet, but when I go in Friday to get a new key he will see if they have it by then. He also stated that if it was not in he would call me when he received a the new part.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I just received official notification via owner-link that my RL is included in this campaign. Will be scheduling an appointment!! Those of you that are signed up through owner-link might want to check your status.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your A/C control unit problem and this wiring harness problem are likely not related. But ask them (nicely!) to take a look anyway - maybe they'll pick up the costs.

Honda makes hundreds of thousands of vehicles a year, and sometimes you just get unlucky. Sucks, but that's how it is.

It's the difference between "Nearly always reliable" (99.999% reliable) and "Always reliable" (100% reliable).

(GM vehicles in the 80's? Defect rate was around 1.2, meaning every owner had at least one defect.)

Chip H.
Thing is, Chip H., there is nothing wrong with my air conditioning or heat as far as I can tell. When the blower works, it blows hot air if I turn the temp knob to red and cold air when I turn the knob to blue. The A/C turns on when I push that button. So I don't get why their computer analysis would tell them the problem is with the "climate control unit," unless that unit is misnamed and actually has something to do with the blower.

Anyway, my vehicle is in the recall according to the Honda Owner Link. I will take it to the dealer and plead my case. I may get nothing more than a cover for the harness and still have a blower that doesn't work. It doesn't get that cold here in Virginia and I can roll the windows down in the summer. I drove a Ford Ranger for 12 years before the RL, so I know how to adjust.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts