Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Got the recall letter a few weeks ago and had the TSB 10-012 completed Tuesday.

When I got home I changed the cabin filter and while doing so I decided to looked under the dash to check out what was done.

Photo one shows the new blower motor cover they installed - looked ok.
Looks just like your photos.

But photo two shows the new wiring harness hanging down with a white round plastic fastener clip and a white oblong fastener clip attached to the harness and going no where.

WTH - they fix a problem where a passenger's foot could damage a molex connector on the blower motor BUT leave the new wiring harness tangling way down where a persons foot could pull everything loose!

I think I know why they didn't push the clip fasteners of new harness into their proper locations because it was HELL finding where they go.

I had to practically lay upside down on my back and twist this old body 90 degrees and look WAY up under the dash to locate where the clips go.
And I still couldn't see without a flash light so had to crawl out again and get one!
Get back in position and STILL can't see up there far enough to see where the round clip goes and had to crawl out and go get a mirror!

I finally got a glimpse of an ear, with a round hole, WAY up under the dash.
You can't get your head far enough up in there to see it and you can't hold a mirror with one hand and reach up there with the other hand to push the clip in.

The only way I could do it was by getting a general visual idea where the hole was and with one hand push the round clip into it by feeling my way to the hole.

The problem is the wiring harness is tight (short) in that area and has to be twisted about 90 degrees and pulled pretty tightly to get it fastened properly.

Photo three - the round clip in the proper location

The hole for the oblong shaped fastener clip is a little easier to see but I still had to pull the wiring harness tight and twist it 90 degrees in the opposite direction to get it to reach.

After I got those two clips in their proper locations the harness is hardly visible now and is up under the dash where it should be.

Note: Item #7 in the TSB Recall Instructions.

7. Remove the A/C wire harness, and install a new
one.
Make sure to securely connect all harness
connectors and harness clips.

I'll bet a dollar to a donut that some of you that have had this safety recall done also have the wiring harness hanging loose at these same fastener locations and risk having a passenger's foot possible pulling the whole thing loose.

It wouldn't hurt to take a look!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Got the recall letter a few weeks ago and had the TSB 10-012 completed Tuesday.

When I got home I changed the cabin filter and while doing so I decided to looked under the dash to check out what was done.

Photo one shows the new blower motor cover they installed - looked ok.
Looks just like your photos.

But photo two shows the new wiring harness hanging down with a white round plastic fastener clip and a white oblong fastener clip attached to the harness and going no where.

WTH - they fix a problem where a passenger's foot could damage a molex connector on the blower motor BUT leave the new wiring harness tangling way down where a persons foot could pull everything loose!

I think I know why they didn't push the clip fasteners of new harness into their proper locations because it was HELL finding where they go.

I had to practically lay upside down on my back and twist this old body 90 degrees and look WAY up under the dash to locate where the clips go.
And I still couldn't see without a flash light so had to crawl out again and get one!
Get back in position and STILL can't see up there far enough to see where the round clip goes and had to crawl out and go get a mirror!

I finally got a glimpse of an ear, with a round hole, WAY up under the dash.
You can't get your head far enough up in there to see it and you can't hold a mirror with one hand and reach up there with the other hand to push the clip in.

The only way I could do it was by getting a general visual idea where the hole was and with one hand push the round clip into it by feeling my way to the hole.

The problem is the wiring harness is tight (short) in that area and has to be twisted about 90 degrees and pulled pretty tightly to get it fastened properly.

Photo three - the round clip in the proper location

The hole for the oblong shaped fastener clip is a little easier to see but I still had to pull the wiring harness tight and twist it 90 degrees in the opposite direction to get it to reach.

After I got those two clips in their proper locations the harness is hardly visible now and is up under the dash where it should be.

Note: Item #7 in the TSB Recall Instructions.

7. Remove the A/C wire harness, and install a new
one.
Make sure to securely connect all harness
connectors and harness clips.

I'll bet a dollar to a donut that some of you that have had this safety recall done also have the wiring harness hanging loose at these same fastener locations and risk having a passenger's foot possible pulling the whole thing loose.

It wouldn't hurt to take a look!
Well Joe I just had to check mine after reading your post and I had gotten under there to take a look after they fixed mine and everything had looked Ok but went to check, mine is Ok and fastened correctly so you just got some shody workmanship from the stealership, like you I would have wanted to fix myself but sometimes sticking their nose in it might make them better?? But I am close enough to my dealer and still take mine there for service....thanks for the post....it's always let the buyer beware...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Honda can only go so far to guarantee quality. Eventually everything is gonna come down to the craftsmanship of a 20 year-old fresh out of tech school and little to no practical experience. For me, like others, they carefully placed everything back into my glovebox, and left the retaining clips in the glovebox. The first time I opened it, everything ended up on the floor. At least the important projects are left to more experienced hands....hopefully.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Burning smell... blower goes.

I'm glad I found this thread.

I have not received a letter from Honda and was unaware of the problem.

Yesterday, Friday Jun 12 2010, I drove 20 miles on the interstate to see a buddy. The temp was about 95 degrees so AC was on full.

After about 15 miles there was an acrid burning smell in the cab, not too strong, but unpleasant enough to wind a window down. I could not tell if it was coming from outside; perhaps a fire somewhere nearby?

The smell went away after a minute or 2, and I didn't think any more of it. Funny... the blower did not stop at the time, but I remember turning the fan speed down shortly after because it seemed extra cold air was being pushed into the cab. Perhaps the fan was running faster at that point?

I parked and visited with my buddy. I returned and started the truck about 2 hours later. But the aircon blower would NOT work. It was electrically dead, and did nothing when I turned the nob.

I checked fuses (man, that handbook is unhelpful for fuses), then on Googling the problem last night after arriving home I found this thread. Cool!

I realized the burning must have been the fan motor. I checked under the passenger dash, and sure enough the coupling is all charred and cracked and I think it has fused into the blower since I can't even detach it.

So this morning, I called my nearest Honda dealer at 8.30AM. They are 40 miles away. I explained what had happened, about the burning smell, the dead blower and the TSB on this thread. I asked specifically if they had the replacement parts on hand. They said 'Yes' they had the parts. I drove 40 miles to see them. They looked at it for 2 hours. They confirmed 'Yes' it was the repair under this TSB. But they went on to explain they only had a replacement coupling cable, NO REPLACEMENT BLOWER ON HAND.

So I had to leave, and I must return to them next Saturday for the repair (I work 8-5 m-f). By that time they should have ordered and received the part. But I wasted an entire Saturday morning, plus the gas and now have a week at 100 degree temps with no fan. Crap!

THE MORALS ARE...

1. If you suspect your motor has failed as part of this TSB, check that your dealer has the coupling AND the motor on hand before driving out to them.

2. Also, I read further back some people are not having this repair done because they can't be bothered or don't want techs under their dashboard unless they have to. To those people I say you are risking the clear and present danger of an electrical meltdown in the cab of your truck. Plus the inconvenience of not having a fan during the Summer months. Get it done!

Thanks for the thread,

b.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
You are a perfect example of why this should be done. I live in Texas and this is my only vehicle. It is already nearly 100 degrees and I'd be in bad shape if the blower went out. I realize all this. And yet, I'm one of those you talk about who does not want to have it done.

I live 40 miles from both Honda dealers in my area, one to the south and one to the East. Leaving the truck with either one would be a chore. I don't trust one of the dealers so that leaves me with but one option, and frankly, I don't care too much about them either. The thing is I don't want any "mechanic" fooling around and making matters worse. I've only had my truck in a dealer twice since May 2005 - when I got a free tire rotation coupon in the mail and the tranny fix, which I think was a TSB but don't recall now. It was free and all they had to do was punch some numbers into the computer. That aside, I do everything myself although I admit that this is beyond me.

Everything is working good right now on my truck and always has been. If there were mechanics around like there were when I started driving almost 50 years ago I might risk it. Now if I have the same experience you had, like you, I would have no choice but to take it in.

Although I admit it can be a coin toss, I believe the odds are probably well in my favor that nothing will ever happen to that part of the truck, at least not for the next year (or two at the most) when I will trade it in for a new Ridgeline. I've learned the hard way (and more than once) that the less your truck sees the "mechanics", the better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok I just had my ac fan stopped working after smelling a burned circuit mild smell for awhile. I parked and when I tried to turn on the ac NO FAN. All dials seem to respoind but the fan do not work. Of course on the hottest freaking day today. I called the dealer and will bring it in tomorrow. BTW may I state that my vehicle it a 2008 RTL. So you know this recall should be EXPANDED. I let you know what happens tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Aren't they suppose to remove part of the passenger side dash to gain access to the harness??? Thus making it easier to get to the harness and replace it along with securing it correctly.
They need to remove the lower console piece (where the 12v power points & heated-seat controls are) plus the glove box. Neither is a big deal, although when you get your truck back, make sure they reattached the dampener for the glovebox (if it flops down when you open it, it's not attached.)

Chip H.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Burning smell... blower goes.

So I had to leave, and I must return to them next Saturday for the repair (I work 8-5 m-f). By that time they should have ordered and received the part. But I wasted an entire Saturday morning, plus the gas and now have a week at 100 degree temps with no fan. Crap!
Dealer called yesterday (Tuesday) and they have the blower part so I will take it in on Saturday for the 2nd time.

b.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok I just had my ac fan stopped working after smelling a burned circuit mild smell for awhile. I parked and when I tried to turn on the ac NO FAN.
Just a suggestion... check your dealer has the wire harness AND the blower in stock before you take it in. Or you may have to take it again once they have ordered the part.

hth,

b.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just recently had my blower motor harness melt. I took a long trip in southwest Georgia and on the way back I smelled a funny burning/melting smell. I thought it was a stinky vehicle in front of me. Blower worked fine while the vehicle was running. I stopped and shut off the engine, but when I got back in later and started up - no blower.

I got out the service manual and ran the self-diagnostic. Segment Q showed up on the diag - meaning it was a problem with the blower motor circuit. I followed the troubleshooting procedure and the fuses checked out OK.

My Ridgeline was just out of warranty and I thought I was in for a costly repair. I noticed the passenger's map light doesn't work and the bed cargo light doesn't work right - it goes out at the wrong moment.

So for about a week I've been without A/C in the sweltering heat, trying figure out the best and least costly solution. I tried to check the 2P connector next, but could not remove it. Then I checked here and found others had experienced the same problem. I'm so glad HROC is here and so glad I checked.

I logged in to my ownerlink and saw the recall notice and printed the electronic letter. I called the dealer and told them about the problem and they said they would look into it and call me back. I called American Honda and after giving them my VIN and info they confirmed the safety recall. I asked about the letter (which I never got) and I was told I don't need the letter - I just needed to contact the dealer and it would be fixed for free.

The dealer hasn't called back yet, but I'm breathing easier. No costly repair! Yeah! I'll breath even easier when they fix the harness and blower and the A/C is blowing frosty air again.

I've had no major problems with my vehicle until now. I should have come here first.

Thanks HROC.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I've had no major problems with my vehicle until now. I should have come here first.
That's what you get for only averaging .75 post per month...:act060:

No really, glad it worked out for you! :act035:

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's what you get for only averaging .75 post per month...:act060:

No really, glad it worked out for you! :act035:
Lol!

I used to visit here and just read a lot. I guess I should spend more time here especially now that my vehicle is out of warranty. There are always lots of good tips, suggestions, and info from other owners.

On a side note: I'm still smiling about the A/C self-diagnostic. I found that one on my own in the manual, but it's just so ... cool.

·
Registered
21 Posts
UPDATE 3

They fixed the unleveled dashboard top, failed to clamp into a firewall retainer. Of course not without a minor scratch. Noise cured, unknown reasons, they probably screwed up. Plastic parts broken during the dashboard removal where by the most part replaced over many visits. There is still an issue withe the passenger seat heating swith that fails to light up at night. Knock it around a couple of times and it lights up, but if you use the switch it goes off again. I am supposed to bring it friday to fix it. I got to know the service guy so well that he is trating me very well and providing for me. He has approved rental replacement in a few ocassions, etc. So service has been ok.

UPDATE 2

Got car back friday. Whole dash removed to replace cable that burned and new blower. The guy said he also aligned the car cause the guy apparently had to drop the steering column. There are minor scratches and dents on the front doors frames paint and plastic parts. I guess when they replaced seats and stuff. The middle storage well in the middle, the flap on the driver side by the accelerators was broken and is loose. I noticed that the top of the dashboard is unleveled because I can see the foam strip from the windshield and is crooked and unleveled. When I get into a rough road dashboard is making a chirping sound from the passenger side by the glove compartment. Otherwise everything seems to be working fine operationaly speaking. So I will have to call the guy mondcay morning and give him my punchlist to fix all this collateral damage. Will keep you posted.

UPDATE

Took it to the dealer. I showed a copy of the recall. They said they had the all the parts. I received a call at noon. Instead of "the come and pick it up", the guy explained that the blower connector was melted and the recall apparently applies. But started to say that the secondary harness that connected to the main panel also got burned. He indicated that was not part of the recall blah blah but because i have extended warranty it is covered and also gave me a rental cause this job entails taking down the whole freaking dashboard. And they did not have the secondary wiring harness that got zapped. I later saw the guy at the shop to get something from the car, he was sweating and was probing behind the speedometed panel. The whole two front seats console and all the freaking dashboard was off...........he showed me the extra wiring harness plug that he also had to change. WOW!!! I am glad this is covered under warranty..............My mileage is 25,000 only. I am of course concerned about the possibility that if they do not assemble all this back together the way is supposed, things could be screwed up(noises,electronics not working properly,etc.). But I am thinking positive at this point. I will update aftr I get my RL back.

Ok I just had my ac fan stopped working after smelling a burned circuit mild smell for awhile. I parked and when I tried to turn on the ac NO FAN. All dials seem to respoind but the fan do not work. Of course on the hottest freaking day today. I called the dealer and will bring it in tomorrow. BTW may I state that my vehicle it a 2008 RTL. So you know this recall should be EXPANDED. I let you know what happens tomorrow.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm way late but got it done also before any melting started, I rarely have passengers and I never run the a/c I guess thats the only thing I like about Texas is the heat, no problems at all.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm way late but got it done also before any melting started, I rarely have passengers and I never run the a/c I guess thats the only thing I like about Texas is the heat, no problems at all.
The A/C and the heater do not run off of electrical power. This is a problem that involves the blower motor. If you use the fan at any temperature, it can put you at risk.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My blower died suddenly yesterday-no smell, no warning. I took my 06 RTL to the dealer this morning-in 5 years I have only been in twice for the warranty repair of the rear seat supports. I told the service advisor about the recall. He was not aware of it in spite of owning a Ridgeline himself. Mother Honda covered replacement of the harness and blower motor, though, and I picked the truck up this afternoon. They even detailed the exterior for me, all at no charge.

They also included a sheet of "recommended" service items, such as a set of $950 tires and $850 timing belt service.

My wife and I are taking a week-long trip in a few days. I am so glad this happened at home instead of on the road!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I told the service advisor about the recall. He was not aware of it in spite of owning a Ridgeline himself.
This really bothers me about dealers. Why is it you go in and mention something to them that all of us know about and they look at you like you are from Mars? I have had this happen also at my local dealer.
HEY HONDA! THE ROC SHOULD BE REQUIRED READING FOR ALL OF YOUR EMPLOYEES!! :act047:

Sorry, it was the biggest I could make the font.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yikes !!!! I have been so busy I still have yet to get mine done along with the element. I just set up for next thursday thank godness I saw this again.:act014:

141 - 160 of 186 Posts