Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
This really bothers me about dealers. Why is it you go in and mention something to them that all of us know about and they look at you like you are from Mars? I have had this happen also at my local dealer.
HEY HONDA! THE ROC SHOULD BE REQUIRED READING FOR ALL OF YOUR EMPLOYEES!![/SIZE] :act047:
And the dealers must make their "expert" service personnel to read every recall/service notice and how to fix it. I've called my dealer to make an appointment and question the tech about what it involves and how long would it take to service it. He practically hung up on me in a hurry after saying they'll do what ever it takes, it is dangerous that is why there is a recall. OK then... I took it yesterday and when I was checking in, I've asked again what they were going to do. He didn't know but asked someone who "knows". Answer was that they were going to remove the dash etc... Then, after the work done, I've asked again to the tech who processed my RL. He explained to me that they have installed a shroud "OVER" the blower motor to prevent condensation dripping into the motor and causing a short and potentially a fire. No idea how did he pulled that out of from his rear end without even blinking...:confused:
I've checked it out to see if they replaced the cover. Indeed, the cover "UNDER" the blower motor which is protecting the plug is the new type of cover but I cannot verify if they replaced the harness or the coupler. I'll take it out and check once I get a chance. It does NOT require taking anything off to have access to it except taking the plastic cover off. Call me a skeptic... Wonder why?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I called and made an appt for next Tuesday. No problems just told them I needed to get the blower fan wiring recall done. They said ok no problem and proceeded to take my info and arrange date.
So far so good.

And the dealers must make their "expert" service personnel to read every recall/service notice and how to fix it. I've called my dealer to make an appointment and question the tech about what it involves and how long would it take to service it. He practically hung up on me in a hurry after saying they'll do what ever it takes, it is dangerous that is why there is a recall. OK then... I took it yesterday and when I was checking in, I've asked again what they were going to do. He didn't know but asked someone who "knows". Answer was that they were going to remove the dash etc... Then, after the work done, I've asked again to the tech who processed my RL. He explained to me that they have installed a shroud "OVER" the blower motor to prevent condensation dripping into the motor and causing a short and potentially a fire. No idea how did he pulled that out of from his rear end without even blinking...:confused:
I've checked it out to see if they replaced the cover. Indeed, the cover "UNDER" the blower motor which is protecting the plug is the new type of cover but I cannot verify if they replaced the harness or the coupler. I'll take it out and check once I get a chance. It does NOT require taking anything off to have access to it except taking the plastic cover off. Call me a skeptic... Wonder why?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Joe,
thank you very much for the information. My blower seems to be working the air conditioner isn't blowing cold air. Do you feel that the recall could have something to with that?

Thanks...
Hugh

·
Administrator
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Joe,
thank you very much for the information. My blower seems to be working the air conditioner isn't blowing cold air. Do you feel that the recall could have something to with that?

Thanks...
Hugh
If the blower is working I doubt this recall will fix the A/C issue. Sorry.

-Joe

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is my first post although I've been a member for awhile. Anyway my 2008 RTL is experiencing similiar systems. The problem started this week. Driving down the road and blower motor shutoff for about three seconds. This happened twice. The third time the blower shutdown was yesterday afternoon and it did not come back on. This morning when I arrived at work and turned the lights off and put the truck in park the blower started working.

My questions are: 1. Could this be related to the blower motor TSB even though my truck is a 2008? 2. Can a problem such as this be diagnosed if the motor is working or does it have to be in a non-working status?

thanks

Bud

·
Registered
57 Posts
BUD0505, I noticed no one replied to your post. Could you let me know what they did to fix your problem? I also have an '08 RL and the blower went out over the weekend. I'll take it in to the shop tomorrow and let you know what they say.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Joe,

Thanks...
Hugh
Yes I do know it's the cause of the problem. I had mine replaced, but the air didn't work, so I brought it back after living with it for a month, and they discovered that one of the wires didn't get connected, so now WE-B-GOOD-TO-GO

·
Registered
30 Posts
BUD0505, I noticed no one replied to your post. Could you let me know what they did to fix your problem? I also have an '08 RL and the blower went out over the weekend. I'll take it in to the shop tomorrow and let you know what they say.
Yes, that should fix your problem if they had the same problem recall on the 08. I had mine replaced, but the air didn't work, so I brought it back after living with it for a month, and they discovered that one of the wires didn't get connected, so now WE-B-GOOD-TO-GO. Don't do what I did and wait a long time before you make sure all is working propertly after it has been fixed. I don't use my air condition much, but there was one time I needed it and it wasn't working, that's when I discovered the problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If the blower is working I doubt this recall will fix the A/C issue. Sorry.

-Joe
Yes, that should fix your problem if they had the same problem recall on the 08. I had mine replaced, but the air didn't work, so I brought it back after living with it for a month, and they discovered that one of the wires didn't get connected, so now WE-B-GOOD-TO-GO. Don't do what I did and wait a long time before you make sure all is working propertly after it has been fixed. I don't use my air condition much, but there was one time I needed it and it wasn't working, that's when I discovered the problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got the RL back and the problem was a bad transistor in the blower motor. They replaced it and it works fine now.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I got the RL back and the problem was a bad transistor in the blower motor. They replaced it and it works fine now.

Glad to know that this doesn't apply to the 2008's, yet anyway. The recall pdf file does state 2006 -2008 in a few places yet the recall notice is only for 2006 -2007 RL's. I looked at mine and it looks like the pictures in this thread after the recall repairs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Gee, perhaps my wife`s 08 RTL, which was manufactured in`07 got a bad connector! It caught fire two weeks ago, and now is a burned-out hulk at the wreckers! Very impressed. Not!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very interesting thread, mine is a US 2008 RTL imported to Canada by the original purchaser hence no warranty. Anyway, I lost HVAC blower control about a month ago, thought it was a fuse, it wasn't and upon inspection the service department informed me that the aforementioned in this thread connector had gotten loose, overheated and melted to the point where the blower stopped working, Yikes! The situation was rectified by cutting the entire connector out of the harness and soldering everything back together, way cheaper fix than a new wiring harness. I was concerned about this being safe as the original problem was due to the loose connection, however it has been a month, and being in Canada winter has only decided to retreat over the last week, so the blower has been on almost constantly with no heating up at the new connection (I don't know why it would with a continuous one piece connection).

Gerry G

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2006 has over 110, 000 miles, and the blower just stopped working yesterday. What do you think my chances are of getting the dealer to make this repair N/C. Is there a time limit on the recall? I never received a notice.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
My 2006 has over 110, 000 miles, and the blower just stopped working yesterday. What do you think my chances are of getting the dealer to make this repair N/C. Is there a time limit on the recall? I never received a notice.
I would just bring it in, just print a copy of the TSB, the harness and the motor are also changed if they find it faulty or have signs of some failure due to the wire over heating, check the wire too, if burned they should include it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This just happened to me on my 08 RTX. I am already dreading the hassle and haggle of trying to get them to honor this TSB on my '08...

The other day I could smell something melting just sitting in the thing in my drive way and a day later, no blower for the heat on the coldest day of the year thus far...

Am I able to self diagnose this without dropping the glove compartment at all? I am dropping it off tonight and they will charge me $50 just to diagnose the problem and Id like to be sure obviously if this is similar to the actual TSB scenario. Also, the fuses. Theses fuses are the fuses under the hood correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
If you are small-framed and flexible, you should be able to look up & under the glovebox to see the connector.

Chip H.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my blower go out on my '08 just before Xmas. Dealer said it did not come under recall because does not apply to '08 models. Wiring harness was replaced under extended warranty (for free). My Ridgeline was one of the last to roll off Canadian line in '08 (built April '08). So yes...the problem still exists on '08 Ridgelines. Good luck trying to get Honda to pay for repair if you don't have extended warranty though. BTW the value of the repair was about $900.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts