Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find this anywhere here and thought it was interesting, so post now the link to the Service Bulletin describing in detail the inflator replacement procedure:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM463966/RCRIT-14V351-7970.pdf

What is curious to me is that nowhere (that I can see anyhow) is mentioned or shown the manufacturer of the replacement inflator.

I've had my 2006's inflator replaced, but continue to wonder (and worry) if it's just another Takata. Don't have much confidence in that company these days!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I read or heard somewhere that we (2006 owners) might have to have the replacements replaced. Maybe this indicates that they installed the same (but more recently produced) version of the inflator just to buy time until a true fix is available. <shrug>

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I read or heard somewhere that we (2006 owners) might have to have the replacements replaced.
Mirrors my recollection for the '06 recalls. They were replaced with Takata brand inflators. The '06 RLs will have to do this dance again. :surprise:

Just glad I live in a low humidity environment.

·
Administrator
14,530 Posts
I read or heard somewhere that we (2006 owners) might have to have the replacements replaced. Maybe this indicates that they installed the same (but more recently produced) version of the inflator just to buy time until a true fix is available. <shrug>
Mirrors my recollection for the '06 recalls. They were replaced with Takata brand inflators. The '06 RLs will have to do this dance again. :surprise:

Just glad I live in a low humidity environment.
From what I've read, you two are correct. The 2006 recall used newer, but same Takata inflators. The 2007-2014 recall uses Autoliv inflators.

Based on this information, the recalled 2006s will almost certainly be included in one of the new scheduled recall groups by 2019. I suspect Honda will not use Takata inflators in 2006 the second time around.

The use of an Autoliv inflator on a Takata airbag could potentially be the source of fitment issues in the 2007-2014 that lead to the stop order, but this is speculation on my part.

·
Registered
679 Posts
same with my 07, recall has been performed, but now have to have it done again...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I've read, you two are correct. The 2006 recall used newer, but same Takata inflators. The 2007-2014 recall uses Autoliv inflators.
It would be nice if you or anyone else could find a definitive statement on this question. To this point it's been all speculation or heresay, at least as far as I've been able to surf on it.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
A quick search found this.

2006 Honda Ridgeline Recalls - Cars.com

Excerpt:

What Owners Should Do: Honda will notify owners, and dealers will replace the driver frontal air bag inflator, free of charge. The recall began on July 1, 2015. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-888-234-2138. Owners may contact Acura customer service at 1-800-382-2238, select option 4. Note: Vehicles that have had their driver frontal air bag replaced previously as part of a recall remedy prior to September 12, 2014 need to have their air bag replaced under this recall as well. Vehicles that, on or after September 12, 2014, received a remedy for a prior driver frontal air bag inflator recall already received an inflator of a different design, and therefore are not included in this recall and do not require additional servicing. Note: This recall fully supersedes recalls 08V-593, 09V-259, 10V-041, 11V-260, 14V-351 and 15V-153.
Read more at 2006 Honda Ridgeline Recalls - Cars.com

·
Registered
73 Posts
Received my notice in the mail. The letter states they won't have the parts until late summer/fall. In the meantime they suggest that nobody rides in the passenger seat. I regularly have passengers. So is Honda going to give me a rental until said time? Nope. So that means if I get into an accident & my passenger is seriously injured due to their issue, that's on me?

·
Administrator
14,530 Posts
Received my notice in the mail. The letter states they won't have the parts until late summer/fall. In the meantime they suggest that nobody rides in the passenger seat. I regularly have passengers. So is Honda going to give me a rental until said time? Nope. So that means if I get into an accident & my passenger is seriously injured due to their issue, that's on me?
Honda are not committing to rentals/loaners for the passenger airbag recall at this time like they did with the driver airbag. However, there are reports that Honda are working with owners on a case-by-case basis. At least one owner here got a rental/loaner for the passenger airbag. Call Honda and explain your situation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts