Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

221 - 240 of 248 Posts

·
Administrator
18,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
I've got a 2019 with 26K miles that I purchased 4 weeks ago that I took in to dealer today for the trans judder issue that has been occurring since the week I brought it home. Dealer verified judder on test drive and is "recommending" a trans flush to be paid by me for $132. Dealer said tech "did not find any bulletins related to 2019 model year," so that this point they "recommend at trans service." Since there is no TSB 17-025 or TSB 17-026 related to 2019 model years, am I out of luck trying to get this covered by Honda, even when I bought the vehicle as a CPO?
No bulletin is needed since your vehicle is still covered under the 3/36 New Vehicle Limited warranty. Your CPO warranty hasn't started yet. The only way I see that you can be responsible for the cost of the fluid change in this situation is if you failed to change the fluid when code 3 appeared on the Maintenance Minder. We know from owner reports that code 3 typically first appears closer to 45,000 miles then about every 30,000 miles. The transmission fluid life is calculated based on actual driving conditions. If the previous owner did a lot of towing or abused the vehicle, it's possible that a transmission fluid change was previously prompted and not performed. If the previous owner kept resetting the oil life before it reached 15%, they would never have known it needed a transmission fluid change because the MM only prompts for maintenance once the oil life is allowed to reach 15%.

$132 is suspiciously low for a 3x flush which requires quarts of fluid at $8.25 per quart and 1.4 hours of labor (typically $150/hr.). Normally, this is a $300 job (which you can do yourself for $82.50 except you don't have the ability to reset the transmission fluid life in the Maintenance Minder like the dealer does).

·
Banned
0 Posts
Don't pay dealer prices for ATF flushes ("flush" is probably the wrong word for these as that just refers to draining, refilling, and driving a few miles 3 times which gets you close to around 90% new fluid in the transmission). Buy fluid by the case at whichever dealer is closest to you that charges $8-9 per quart. If they quote you $12 (dirty thieves), walk away and go elsewhere or even find it online. Then just do it yourself as it's 1 easily accessible nut underneath the vehicle. No messy filters to change either. Just make sure to put back in what you take out which is going to be ~3.3 quarts after every drain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So if you look back in this thread, you’ll find that I’ve already had my 2017 serviced for the judder, and a subsequent transmission failure. The judder came back recently, so I took it back. They did yet another (new) software update and 3 flushes. Judder still present right after; though not as rough.

So.. We’re giving up with the 2017, as it’s clearly too much hassle - especially when we expense it anyways. Have a new one order, now. Here’s to hoping we get more of a proper “Honda” experience this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Maybe it's the injectors, there was a guy that posted last week and took it for the trans and as it turns out a misfire was causing the judder.
I already had the injectors replaced, so hopefully it's not that again. But I had different symptoms, and usually a warning light, with the injectors.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Can you describe the "judder". I laughed when I read the TSB with that word. If your judder is a feeling of driving over rumble strips but much lighter / fainter, and it only happens under light load (throttle) such as when re-engaging at the bottom of a small incline, your issue is almost certainly the VCM, which has no OEM fix (honda would be in hot water with their EPA certification). Gotta resolve it with aftermarket (vcmtuner or similar).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can you describe the "judder". I laughed when I read the TSB with that word. If your judder is a feeling of driving over rumble strips but much lighter / fainter, and it only happens under light load (throttle) such as when re-engaging at the bottom of a small incline, your issue is almost certainly the VCM, which has no OEM fix (honda would be in hot water with their EPA certification). Gotta resolve it with aftermarket (vcmtuner or similar).
For me, right now.. it always happens at 95-120ish km/h hovering around 2,000rpm, I believe. I just hope the new one doesn’t have the same trash experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL AWD
109 Posts
I had what I would call surging. The RPMs would rise and drop at certain speeds. Heating in the transmission supposedly caused the fluid to deteriorate and cause the surging. They did the 3X flush with 10 quarts and software update to reduce the heating and the surging disappeared. A year later I took a look at the fluid and it was dark red almost brownish color. I did one drain and fill and it got some of the redness back. I have since installed a transmission cooler so I know the transmission is running cooler. We'll see how long the fluid takes to lose its redness. I'm probably going to do a drain and fill once a year to keep the fluid fresh as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My 2018 is currently at the dealer for the typical symptoms of the judder or surging at 71k kms. I gave a copy of the TSB for 2017's. They called me back, and said that they would do a transmission fluid change and software update. I asked if it was a 3X transmission flush, they said that was unsafe to do with the sealed transmission units on the RL and would possibly cause damage, so just a 1X fluid change. They said since the transmission fluid was a normal maintenance item around 80k kms, and due soon to be changed anyway, that it wouldn't be covered under the powertrain warranty. I'm not sure what the total bill will be, but I'm annoyed. Dealer has been very good to me in the past. This seems like it should be entirely covered under powertrain warranty.

I'll spend the afternoon deciding how aggravated I should be about it, or just be happy if it is fixed. I'll cover the fluid cost as long as I'm not charged some ridiculous amount for diagnostics. It is frustrating that, if this is a recognized problem, that Honda corporate doesn't give clear instructions about the problem, the fix, and make it covered under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
When you go ask SPECIFICALLY the software update that was done (I don't believe there is one for your 2018 as the one for 2017 update is already on it). Ask for the version it had and the one they installed. I bet they don't answer. As for the fluid change, it may help it. But the question will be is it long term or just for another 10k miles.

On my 17' I have not had the software update but did the fluid r/r at 30k. I now have 41k and IMO the transmission shifted better after i changed it and still does. Long term will tell.

Steve

·
Registered
167 Posts
You’re right, they thought they’d have to update but found my 18 already had the updated software. $175 and truck seems to be driving much better. I didn’t fight it re the warranty. Hopefully a long term fix.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Sport Crew Cab Pickup AWD - Black
41 Posts
I just got my RL back from the dealership for these same symptoms but also when going from park to reverse the gear would lock and after tapping the gas the vehicle would jerk hard and then move. Turns out I had a bad Valve body. It was replaced at no cost. I'll check in again if I my problems return. They didn't do a software update, but I assume they had to flush the ATF when they repaired the valve body.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I just ran out of confidence and patience at 69k and traded for a 2020 to escape the Honda 6 spd. I had done a 1x and 3x drain and fills, replaced the 2nd/3rd pressure switch myself and had the software TSB done.

Then the fuel injector issues (which Honda covered as part of the NY 7/70 warranty requirements). Just lost long term confidence and with the high trade values and low prices of 2020s, it was a minimal investment to update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Thanks.

I am from Costa Rica , i bougth a rigeline 2017 16 weeks ago to Honda dealer en Costa Rica, i had the same problem, at the firts time that a gave the car, i said to the people of FACO (Honda Dealer) that i gess the problem come of the trasmition, went i was about 70 mph, i feel movement and noise.
At this moment teh dealer
months have changed, the two front shock absorbers, all 6 injectors, and until the previous week they told me if it could be the transmission.
It seems that the transmission is going to change.
But the question arises ... the automatic transmission H6 came out with many problems and that is why after three years they changed it for the ZF.
I no longer trust that the transmission change is reliable, do you know if any representative in the United States has proceeded to make changes or returns of cars for 2020 versions that do not have the new transmission?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased a new RTL-T in March 2017. Just had the Judder problem and service at 46K miles. Seems to be fine now. Dealer knew the problem and were great to work with. Hope this is the last time for this problem. This is the only problem I have had with the truck. Been very pleased with it so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Ridgeline : just had the firmware update and the trans flushing. No more "judder" but the gas mileage seems to be worse. Anyone else having this issue with the fix?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well guess what happened to my transmission.... Crapped at 61,100 miles. Went to drive my 2107 awd Ridgeline after work today and after leaving the neighborhood noticed hard shift from first to second and that it wouldn't shift past second. Turned around and hit a few lights and the shifting from first to second got worse. Transmission system problem and emissions system problem popped up on dash. I'm at 61,100 miles and the drivetrain warranty is 5 years 60,000 miles... They better warranty it. At 48,000 I brought it in because of the judder issue and they replaced tranny fluid and claimed software issue. I voiced my concern about "now what if the tranny goes out just after warranty". Well I'll be damned, it happened. Unreal. I'll be calling service manager tomorrow morning

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Well guess what happened to my transmission.... Crapped at 61,100 miles. Went to drive my 2107 awd Ridgeline after work today and after leaving the neighborhood noticed hard shift from first to second and that it wouldn't shift past second. Turned around and hit a few lights and the shifting from first to second got worse. Transmission system problem and emissions system problem popped up on dash. I'm at 61,100 miles and the drivetrain warranty is 5 years 60,000 miles... They better warranty it. At 48,000 I brought it in because of the judder issue and they replaced tranny fluid and claimed software issue. I voiced my concern about "now what if the tranny goes out just after warranty". Well I'll be damned, it happened. Unreal. I'll be calling service manager tomorrow morning
Hoping Honda steps up for you. It should help that you reported an issue earlier with the transmission.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I hooked up my scanner and it showed code P0843 transmission fluid pressure sensor/switch. Read a post about someone saying a mouse chewed through the wiring for his...I park my truck outside. I took it all apart. First 4 trans sensor wiring looked good. Last one is way backside of motor. Reached and felt, sure enough connector with a little bit of wire on it and the wire hanging down. Damn rodent going to cost me a lot of money. View attachment 407361

·
Registered
38 Posts
The saga continues. Had the truck towed to local shop. They called after digging into it and said it's bad. Need to get insurance involved because going to cost a lot and recommended having the dealer do the work...

221 - 240 of 248 Posts