Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've used the S-VCM for about 20K of my 30K total miles before my tranny developed a judder. I removed it before bringing it in for service. I believe I'm experiencing a bit of vibration at idle with it removed. I'm going to re-install it and see if it disappears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good deal. Maybe i should be a betting man ?! lol
Which VCM defeat device did you use ? I might be interested in putting one on too.

Steve
VCMTunerII. No complaints yet. Temp gauge on dash virtually unchanged, maybe the width of the needle itself difference. MPG less than 0.5 difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Please... I owned a 2016 Tacoma Limited, had it for 5 months before it started falling apart. Transmission was under filled, the differential was under filled and leaked, the u-joints had zero freeze in them, and there last straw was my headliner started to fall down. Not to mention their tranny engine combo was horrible and couldn’t stop hunting for gears on the highway at steady speeds. I have no faith in Toyota after that experience.
and is this your only experience with Toyota? In my experience (owned 3 toyotas) they all lasted 200,000 with no major issues (drivetrain/engine) besides body rust. This is my 3rd Honda and I've really noticed issues that I didn't have previously. My buddy purchased a 2017 Highlander the same time I purchased my RL and he hasn't had any recalls, check engine lights, or software "issues". I had to have fuel injectors replaced at 25k, and go in two separate times for recalls and now tranny judder at 45k with the "fix" being fluid change. so please defend honda....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think all newer model brands are suffering issues due to newer fuel, emissions and safety related regulations as well as heightened expectations for recalls over things that might have been left to linger in older years (tail lighting assemblies for example). I have experience with Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Dodge from model years 1994 thru 2017. All my Honda's prior to around 2000 were bulletproof. I was over 400k on an odyssey before trading in. Same for Toyota's, still have an old single cab 94 truck running at the farm. Rear shocks rusted off, but still runs :). I had a Maxima that the drive axle fell off of running down the street due to rust shortly after I sold it. And a 2001 Dodge that spent virtually every weekend in my garage having one part or another replaced (I did love that truck though). My later model Honda's ranging from 2003 - 2017 all seem to be having more issues than their predecessors, with the 2017 G2 RL unfortunately leading in this regard. I figured a brand new Honda would get me 400k or better. I see no way this truck is gonna make it that long. Toyota isn't any better, new vehicles with dead window motors, unfixable alignments, and other stories from friends (in addition to the crappy driving experience) are examples. To say Toyota is better than Honda or vice versa is splitting hairs. Oh, forgot to mention, when dealer was doing the torque converter replacement on my RL, they said the tie rod snapped as they were removing it. Wth? Newer Hondas and Toyotas are tin cans in comparison to how they used to be build their vehicles.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
and is this your only experience with Toyota? In my experience (owned 3 toyotas) they all lasted 200,000 with no major issues (drivetrain/engine) besides body rust. This is my 3rd Honda and I've really noticed issues that I didn't have previously. My buddy purchased a 2017 Highlander the same time I purchased my RL and he hasn't had any recalls, check engine lights, or software "issues". I had to have fuel injectors replaced at 25k, and go in two separate times for recalls and now tranny judder at 45k with the "fix" being fluid change. so please defend honda....
Lol, calm down buddy... Re-read my post, by no means am I defending Honda, they suck to. My 2017 RL also went through a full injector replacement. Thankfully still under warranty, and I’m hedging my bets and replacing my tranny fluid early and often to prevent the judder.
My point was that Toyota is no longer the bastion of quality and longevity. As you said 10 years ago they were somewhat neck and neck in all aspects. Unlike your assertion I would say they are still neck and neck, the only change is that both have reduced their quality over the years. Saving the mighty dollar and planned obsolescence has won over quality and reliability. I’m glad your old cars made it to 200 plus miles, I’m sure all of them can make it to that just not without issues, TSBs, and recalls.

·
Super Moderator
12,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
This issue appears to be heat related, I am wondering if we should have a transmission cooler installed into our 2019?

Bill
If it has AWD, it's already got an auxiliary transmission cooler, but you can add a larger or additional one.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Not doubting you, just confirming, when looking up the specs for AWD it shows "High-Capacity Radiator with 2 High-Power Fans", but I am not immediately finding that an auxiliary transmission cooler being installed?
Thanks,
Bill

Added note: OK, I found a different listing and it does show in addition to the High-Capacity Radiator with 2 High-Power Fans, a heavy duty transmission cooler as also being installed on all models with AWD. So, if I understand correctly by reading between the lines, having an auxiliary cooler does not necessarily improve on the failure rate?
bill

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Just for curiosity, I went out to find the heavy duty transmission cooler, and I am shaking my head for it appears to be only about what, 3"X9"?

Bill
If it's a stacked plate cooler, i recall that they are about three times more efficient than tube and fin coolers. Also, if it cools the fluid too much, it could throw a code. Thermostat could be key here.

Anyway, i believe the main issue is airflow across the heat exchanger. If the vehicle isn't moving through the air fast enough, then you need an auxiliary fan on that heat exchanger. It also needs to be mounted carefully to get good airflow to and from the unit. Small packaging could make for more and better mounting options.

·
Super Moderator
12,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
If it's a stacked plate cooler, i recall that they are about three times more efficient than tube and fin coolers.
The auxiliary transmission transmission cooler on the Ridgeline is a tube and fin design.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was experiencing a "rumble strip" vibration on very light throttle. It can happen anywhere from 1 to 3 times on a 30km commute.

I had installed the svcm device and the vibration has not come back. I ve only have 600km with the device.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The pulsing on the tach shown in video can also be felt in accelerator pedal. Is this what’s being referred to as a judder?

I'm not sure if this is judder, but I am also getting the same pulsing on the tach as shown on your video. This happens to me mostly around 45 mph, and when going up a slight incline. If this is a video from your vehicle, did you ever have this issue diagnosed and repaired? What was the outcome? Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not sure if this is judder, but I am also getting the same pulsing on the tach as shown on your video. This happens to me mostly around 45 mph, and when going up a slight incline. If this is a video from your vehicle, did you ever have this issue diagnosed and repaired? What was the outcome? Thanks.
The service technician captured judder on the attached snapshot and performed the applicable TSBs. Even though I am at 72K miles, the TSBs, if confirmed by a snapshot, will cover this under warranty until 8 years or 80K. Can a transmission expert please decipher this snapshot and indicate where it shows the judder?

101 - 117 of 117 Posts