Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just got my judder fixed, Honda flushed the tranny twice and updated the computer, driving better than new, The truck seems to hold the gears better, especially on hills, doesnt drop a gear as quick...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just got my judder fixed, Honda flushed the tranny twice and updated the computer, driving better than new, The truck seems to hold the gears better, especially on hills, doesnt drop a gear as quick...
Mine felt better than new too after they did that.....and then a day later I got the “transmission system problem” warning. Hope you don’t!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am not sure if this has been answered before, but what is it with the Honda transmission that is making it overheat to the point of cooking the transmission fluid?

Bill

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I am not sure if this has been answered before, but what is it with the Honda transmission that is making it overheat to the point of cooking the transmission fluid?

Bill
I don't really know, but my guess would be that it is due to how the transmission is integrated with the engine and FWD-predominant layout. I'm not aware of any transverse-mounted engine/trans layout that is rated to tow more than 5k. There's just not much room in the engine bay to allow a lot of airflow around the transmission, so it must rely on what may be an undersized auxiliary cooler when conditions get tough. A larger cooler and/or cooling fan would probably help tremendously, but needs to be thermostatically controlled, as too much cooling could lead to problems, also.

In the Jeep Grand Cherokee, you have a traditional longitudinally-mounted engine and transmission, and that vehicle can be equipped to tow something like 7600lbs, despite it being a unibody. I think, aside from the extra D-pillars for body stiffening, that the trans cooling is the second most important difference between the JGC and the G2 wrt towing capacity.

Just my guess, though...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mine felt better than new too after they did that.....and then a day later I got the “transmission system problem” warning. Hope you don’t!

Now with the tranny out and the drive axles dropped they say they need to replace wheel bearing on one side.

Wires were torn somewhere in tailgate which crapped out my rear camera. Need that fixed too. They said I did it somehow..... it was broke prior to taking it in but how could I have torn the wires?

·
Super Moderator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Wires were torn somewhere in tailgate which crapped out my rear camera. Need that fixed too. They said I did it somehow..... it was broke prior to taking it in but how could I have torn the wires?
This is a known issue with 2017-2018 Ridgelines. The 2019 has a revised harness.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’m having issues almost daily with RPM fluctuations but the dealership said I have no codes and the typical The tech didn’t notice anything when driving, picked it up a mile later it started.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2017 Black Edition is in the shop now for a transmission swap. Started having major issues as described in this thread, ie 20-60km/hr thudding, rumble strip feelings happening in the week or so prior to that. They claim it’s the first one to have transmission failure without throwing a code though, and the flush method didn’t work.. so they’re apparently having the whole transmission sent to HQ for analysis. They’re also having trouble getting a replacement transmission in, claiming no eta beyond “November” — ouch.
Update - so they say they push a rush on it, and wound up finishing the swap on Friday. I’ve got it now, and all seems well & smooth-shifting again. Time will tell, I suppose!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Heading to the dealer to pick mine up now. New tranny, wheel bearing, and repaired backup cam. Fingers crossed

121 - 130 of 130 Posts