Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not see this issue posted anywhere here but i just went had it on my new 2019 RTL-E and service manage said there was a recent update to this TSB to include the Ridgeline ( at least the 2019 version) It concerns the receiver/ dryer cap and O rings. I picked my new RTL-E on a cool day and did not notice it was not blowing cold air until a few days later when it got warm. No cold/cool air at all. I bring it in and sure enough he's got the TSB pulled up on his computer and shows the 2019 Ridgeline was just added to the Pilot and I forget what else. I'll try to cut and paste if if I can find it on-line. They took the vehicle because they had the parts in stock, then told me there was a new part that had just come out for this fix and they had to order it. Part came in, they fixed it and it seems fine.

Anyone else with this issue. This vehicle is going to be used in Arizona so I hope the A/C system is stout.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Its TSB A18-080. ;)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,807 Posts
Apparently this TSB applies to all 2017-2018 Ridgelines and only some 2019s identified by VIN range.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Apparently this TSB applies to all 2017-2018 Ridgelines and only some 2019s identified by VIN range.
Apparantly this is an updated version of this TSB. Original version that I looked at had fewer affected 2019 Ridgelines.
My AC so far is working fine, but my VIN is now on the affected list.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For what it's worth the build date on my 2019 was 12/18. Last 6 of the VIN are 028282. There was absolutely zero cold air blowing with 26 miles on the clock and the service manager pulled the TSB that had just been updated to include the 2019 Ridgeline. I was concerned that they would have to pull the whole front end of the car to do the fix as the area in question is right behind the lower right hand grill. He said that they had fixed so many of these on Pilot's and other RL's that the mechanic found a "work around" and could replace the parts without pulling the front end apart. All I can do is hope all this is true and it's right and it works for a very long time.

This is my first Honda after 34 other vehicles and I bought it for many reasons but my confidence is shaken a bit with the early recalls and TSB's on this car. They did do the fuel pump well before I bought it as it was a recall but for Honda to have A/C issues on new cars is a bit concerning. I'm retired now and planned on this being a very long term vehicle but if there are any more "bugs" that show up it will not be. I sold a 2011 Tundra with 65k miles on it that never saw a dealer other than oil changes. I was expecting the same results from the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For what it's worth the build date on my 2019 was 12/18. Last 6 of the VIN are 028282. There was absolutely zero cold air blowing with 26 miles on the clock and the service manager pulled the TSB that had just been updated to include the 2019 Ridgeline. I was concerned that they would have to pull the whole front end of the car to do the fix as the area in question is right behind the lower right hand grill. He said that they had fixed so many of these on Pilot's and other RL's that the mechanic found a "work around" and could replace the parts without pulling the front end apart. All I can do is hope all this is true and it's right and it works for a very long time.

This is my first Honda after 34 other vehicles and I bought it for many reasons but my confidence is shaken a bit with the early recalls and TSB's on this car. They did do the fuel pump well before I bought it as it was a recall but for Honda to have A/C issues on new cars is a bit concerning. I'm retired now and planned on this being a very long term vehicle but if there are any more "bugs" that show up it will not be. I sold a 2011 Tundra with 65k miles on it that never saw a dealer other than oil changes. I was expecting the same results from the Ridgeline.
I have had at least 20 brand new vehicles and NONE of them have been perfect. They all leave the factory with some kind of defect. I honestly did not buy my Ridgeline because of Honda's reputation. I bought it because it fits in my garage and offers almost the same amount of storage as my 21 year old F150.
TSB's and recalls are a fact of life. Like taxes, they will never go away.

·
Registered
233 Posts
When I do a "Honda Recall Information for Safety & ....." and inputting my VIN, Honda says there are NO RECALLS for my 2019 RTL-E. I am currently having no issues with my AC, especially since I found a CLIMATE CONTROL setting that let me select a min and max temp for the climate control. The weather here has been hot and humid with a "feels like" temp in the mid to high 90's.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had at least 20 brand new vehicles and NONE of them have been perfect. They all leave the factory with some kind of defect. I honestly did not buy my Ridgeline because of Honda's reputation. I bought it because it fits in my garage and offers almost the same amount of storage as my 21 year old F150.
TSB's and recalls are a fact of life. Like taxes, they will never go away.

My experience has been quite different with the exception of a couple of company leased GM and GMC vehicles in the mid 2000's. ( Yukon and Envoy total garbage) most of the rest of my 30 some vehicles have been relatively trouble free or totally trouble free. Certainly never had a basic issue like A/C fail right out of the box. 2016 Mazda CX-5 no issues, same with a 2008 Miata, a few BMW 5 series, a 2007 911, Audi A8, 2018 Mazda CX-9, Tundra etc. No big issues or recall's that I can recall :unsure: . I guess I have for the most part been very lucky.

I've only had this RL for a few weeks and so far I really like it. It's very comfortable to drive, the engine and drive-train are very good, the premium features are great, decent sound system etc. I don't even mine the volume situation that much. It's a very practical vehicle and I've actually come to like the looks quite a bit ( mine is white) . Now if I could just figure out how to defeat the LKAS. I've followed the instructions but must be missing a step because even when defeated it still vibrates the wheel if I get too close to the lane line's. Not a big deal and actually a good safety issue.

Fingers crossed on the reliability.

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
When I do a "Honda Recall Information for Safety & ....." and inputting my VIN, Honda says there are NO RECALLS for my 2019 RTL-E. I am currently having no issues with my AC, especially since I found a CLIMATE CONTROL setting that let me select a min and max temp for the climate control. The weather here has been hot and humid with a "feels like" temp in the mid to high 90's.
The refrigerant leak is a TSB, not a recall. TSB's advise dealers about potential problems and how to fix them. The fixes listed in TSB's are only performed at no cost to the owner if the problem occurs during warranty and is confirmed by the dealer. Recalls are for safety-related fixes that are done to every potentially affected vehicle regardless of whether or not the issue has occurred and regardless of warranty status.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I like to choose from among the most reliable vehicles, but there are many factors to consider. My G2 Ridgeline has been way better than my G1 so far, and better than my Chevy's before that. We did get virtual perfection once, though--my wife's 2104 Mazda3 has gone 5.5 years without a single problem, except the navigation system freaked out once until it reset itself on the next start-up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like to choose from among the most reliable vehicles, but there are many factors to consider. My G2 Ridgeline has been way better than my G1 so far, and better than my Chevy's before that. We did get virtual perfection once, though--my wife's 2104 Mazda3 has gone 5.5 years without a single problem, except the navigation system freaked out once until it reset itself on the next start-up.
Mazda is making some great and very reliable cars these days. Probably because they are all built in Japan. Hugely over looked brand. Very good cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts