Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
This bulletin is being reposted because parts are now available.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
I may have dodged a bullet. I threw in a can of "3M Total fuel system cleaner" in with a half tank of gas and the check engine code P219A turned off at around 100 miles of driving - thank god.
I was in fear and anxiety over this as I was 300 miles out of warranty. I don't think I'll ever buy another new car again. Honda America can go ___ themselves.

·
Super Moderator
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I may have dodged a bullet. I threw in a can of "3M Total fuel system cleaner" in with a half tank of gas and the check engine code P219A turned off at around 100 miles of driving - thank god.
I was in fear and anxiety over this as I was 300 miles out of warranty. I don't think I'll ever buy another new car again. Honda America can go ___ themselves.
Fuel system cleaner doesn't dissolve metal shavings or repair premature wear caused by them. I'd put money aside for a new set of injectors or trade your Ridgeline for a Frontier before the code returns if I were you.

Did you take the vehicle to the dealer when you had 36,300 miles so that this issue could be documented? Each passing day and mile decreases the chances that Honda cover some or all of the repair cost.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm having a hard time believing metal shavings from manufacturing are causing this problem. It's more likely that operation of the injectors is producing metal shavings. GM is experiencing that with their diesels.

·
Super Moderator
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I'm having a hard time believing metal shavings from manufacturing are causing this problem. It's more likely that operation of the injectors is producing metal shavings. GM is experiencing that with their diesels.
Honda states, "...debris from the fuel injector machining process or high pressure fuel pump can cause internal wear or clogging in the injector."

"Debris" could refer to any material from metal to plastic to dirt to food crumbs, but "machining" is typically done to metal parts so we can infer from their statement that pieces of metal that weren't removed after machining metal components winds up in the injectors causing a poor spray pattern, insufficient fuel delivery, or excessive fuel delivery on a continuous or intermittent basis.

If you search Google for "injector metal shavings", you'll find complaints about about GM, Ford, Ram, VW, and others.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
This wouldnt have anything to do with the fuel pump inspection recall this year would it. Being it could corrode because of the drain hole location in the bed over the fuel pump.

·
Super Moderator
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
This wouldnt have anything to do with the fuel pump inspection recall this year would it. Being it could corrode because of the drain hole location in the bed over the fuel pump.
No.

1. The fuel pump issue didn't involve corrosion - it involved the potential cracking of plastic due to chemical exposure that could result in pressurized fuel leaks. Contaminants from external chemical damage wouldn't be considered "debris from the machining process".

2. The Ridgeline was the only model included in the fuel pump recall, but the Pilot and Odyssey also are experiencing injector issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The dealer told me that I needed a new fuel injection rail and it was on back order and decided to not have it done since I am out of warranty. I have over 42,000 on a 2018 Ridgeline and put an injection cleaner in it and drove 1000 last week and no light. Thought I was in the clear but today the light came back on. I did file a claim with Honda and they called me but refused to cover the entire cost since I was out of warranty and I refuse to pay for a problem that was created by them. Has anyone ignored the light and driven many miles with or without any problems. I am still getting great gas mileage and pulling power. I am afraid that if I give in and replace the injectors this problem with occur again. I do not have "top tier" gas in the small community I live in and the closest big town is 29 miles away. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I want to give the truck to my daughter in law but not if this is going to be a life long problem. She has a 2006 Accord with 190000 and still running great. How Honda has changed, and not for the better.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
If anyone is going to replace his/her own injectors, it appears that an injector seal tool kit is required to removed and install the new injector seals (if the injectors don't come with seals already installed). Also, the fuel pipe must be replaced as well. Those injectors are under a good deal of pressure, so the system must be depressurized before removing any fuel injection components. I'm not sure of the procedure to depressurize the Honda system. The part no. for the injector seal tool kit is 070AG-5A0A100. It runs $265.00. Unbelievable. With the cost of the injectors, the fuel pipe, and the tool set, the cost of replacing the injectors has just ballooned to around $700, even if you DIY.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
If anyone is going to replace his/her own injectors, it appears that an injector seal tool kit is required to removed and install the new injector seals (if the injectors don't come with seals already installed). Also, the fuel pipe must be replaced as well. Those injectors are under a good deal of pressure, so the system must be depressurized before removing any fuel injection components. I'm not sure of the procedure to depressurize the Honda system. The part no. for the injector seal tool kit is 070AG-5A0A100. It runs $265.00. Unbelievable. With the cost of the injectors, the fuel pipe, and the tool set, the cost of replacing the injectors has just ballooned to around $700, even if you DIY.
See below:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Well crap, I got the P0430 code again (2017 Black Edition). Initial code dropped at 28k miles, got the software update. Now the code has resurfaced at 33k, taking her in tomorrow to see what they’ll do.

@zroger73 maybe you’ll know the answer to this question, what would Honda do if I received the P0430 code again after the software update but say I pass the A/F test? What’s the next troubleshooting step or potential cause if not the fuel injectors?

·
Registered
288 Posts
OK, the cleaner was only temporary. The code came back 3 times. I made sure the dealer noted the millage "timer" going off at 36,360. When they ran a diagnosis it was the injectors... Great - thank you!

Honda was going to pay 80% and wanted 20% from me. They never told me the cost of the service. After a well worded letter to the service manager, the stealership picked up the 20% (or whatever).
Honda is not what is used to be - car or company.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well crap, I got the P0430 code again (2017 Black Edition). Initial code dropped at 28k miles, got the software update. Now the code has resurfaced at 33k, taking her in tomorrow to see what they’ll do.

@zroger73 maybe you’ll know the answer to this question, what would Honda do if I received the P0430 code again after the software update but say I pass the A/F test? What’s the next troubleshooting step or potential cause if not the fuel injectors?
Going from memory, it could be the O2 sensors. Try Googleing it.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Going from memory, it could be the O2 sensors. Try Googleing it.
Thanks but it was confirmed to be my injectors. Honda thankfully replaced them all under warranty.
According to my paper work they tested the injectors and they “failed rich”, I’m assuming this means the air fuel ratio was rich meaning injectors sprayed to much fuel. Which component of the injectors would need to fail to cause then to dump excess fuel?
Well anyway I hope these last more than 33k miles

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Thanks but it was confirmed to be my injectors. Honda thankfully replaced them all under warranty.
According to my paper work they tested the injectors and they “failed rich”, I’m assuming this means the air fuel ratio was rich meaning injectors sprayed to much fuel. Which component of the injectors would need to fail to cause then to dump excess fuel?
Well anyway I hope these last more than 33k miles

View attachment 396022
Good that you got this done before Honda could play hardball. On Bernardi, it shows injector set as a 305 or a 315 part number. You have the 315, so it should be the updated part as it is the part used on the 19's.

Curious if the rich condition diluted your oil and if the MM can account for a rich condition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honda has agree to replace the injectors at no cost. Taking it in today. Very happy with service manager at my Honda dealership.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you had your injectors replaced. Please participate in this poll.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts