Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a new TSB 04-040 for all Ridgelines that says if you hear a noise and/or feel a judder from the rear when turning to replace the VTM-4 fluid as it's probably contaminated from clutch wear or condesnsation.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/1145948400000_1146553200000_04-040/1.html

(opps, just realized this is an old tsb but recently updated for effected vehicles)

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
got mine changes @ 14,000 miles,ran perfect before and after........ just follow what Honda says and your RL will be fine. Skip the reccommended service schedule, and you could be in trouble.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Interesting TSB procedure and worth a read to learn where the trouble could be caused from. There is a breather tube for the rear differential that can have water enter and contaminate the VTM4 fluid. Most susceptible trucks are those that launch boats or are driven through deep water puddles. The technician actually has to perform 2 VTM4 fluid changes to accomplish the decantamination.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had this same problem once in my CR-V EX at @ 30K miles. The rear diff fluid was dirty and had to be changed. As soon as it was changed, the problem went away.

Interestingly enough, it has gone a lot farther since then without a fluid change and is still running smoothly. Perhaps the first interval has to deal with "break in" of parts, which is why it got dirty so fast.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Kellcut said:
I have to ask... what is a Judder?
Origin thought to be j(erk) + (sh)udder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been having a very similar problem but I am almost certain its coming from the front. I usually have hesitation only when turning left and accelerating. Its also more noticeable when the engine is still cold. Do you think this could be from the rear?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
For a while now I have been hearing a sound like my rock tumbler tumbling, more at low speeds and especially when cold. I feel a slight gravelly feel in my backside, like I am driving over sand or fine gravel. Is this the judder TSB? If it is , I am going to take it in and have it and the transmission TSB done. I have 12,812 on the odometer.

·
Premium Member
8,121 Posts
For a while now I have been hearing a sound like my rock tumbler tumbling, more at low speeds and especially when cold. I feel a slight gravelly feel in my backside, like I am driving over sand or fine gravel. Is this the judder TSB? If it is , I am going to take it in and have it and the transmission TSB done. I have 12,812 on the odometer.
If the truck's rearend is generating the above described issue, yes it sounds like the TSB applies. You probably need to see the dealer asap.

If it is your rearend, well, see your doctor asap :D

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I took my truck in today for the judder noise. It is going on 12,900 miles on the odometer, I asked the mechanic if the noise is a common indicator that the vtm 4 fluid needs replacing, he did not think so and will do the TSB 04-040 as needed. I am also having TSB's 06-062; the transmission update and 07-028; a ping from the engine compartment. I have been hearing this ping from the engine for a while now and it only happens when I come to this one hill with a sudden steep approach from a slight down ward encline. Talking with the mechanic is the best way to go , much better than the service tech who usually translates the situation and cannot describe the manifestations. I hate it when they think it is in your head when you hear a change in your vehicle and they don't hear anything. I have accute hearing and have always heard a problem in my vehicles before it got serious. When I lived in a bustling city I used to have to wear earplugs at night to get to sleep.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
The judder TSB was done today along with the transmission TSB. I had been feeling what I would describe as a tumbler rolling along with small gravel in it and that is gone with the TSB. I am assuming that this will preclude the VTM fluid change at 15,000 miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts