Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about trading in my 02 Tundra TRD..on an RTL..but the mixed reviews have me reluctant regarding water leaks, windsheilds, etc..Also can anyone tell me if at least p265X70X17's will fit w/o causing problems..I put down a deposit on an RTL..but have cold feet..any suggestions? :confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
do not be scared it is a great vechile I almost bought anew tundra but wanted to test drive my new ridgeline first.the ridgeline rides nothing like atruck I think what you are hearing about leaks is a fluke on some.I was in a major rain storm raining so hard I could barely see checked the ridge the next day no leaks anywhere.Are they giving u a decent trade on your tundra they paid off my 97 bravada and it had no air the compressor went bad.go and get the ridgeline you will be very pleased

·
Registered
40 Posts
It really depends on who you are... I'm a semi-old guy. This truck fits my needs. I really have no extreme off road needs, but I make alot of Home Depot runs. The sound system is more than adequate, the vehicle is as smooth and comfortable as I could ever ask for, and the milage is better than my old Ford van. My wife is comfortable driving it, and likes it as much as I do. It tows my three thousand pound boat well enough and still drives as well as an Accord.
Our RTS had to have the windshield fixed, but there have been no other problems. Honda fixed the assembly problem with the windshields, so it shouldnt be an issue any more.
Tire size change would'nt be a good idea because of the computerized control systems for handleing.
If your a young guy, and need to play really really hard, this may not be you best choice, but for over-all utillity and comfort, Ridgeline cant be beat.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not sure about the p265X70X17's fitting?? I traded in a 3 month old 05 Tacoma double cab 4x4 for a Ridgeline. THAT'S how much I like this vehicle!! Regarding water leaks, my VIN is in the supposed danger zone for this problem. I wash it every weekend, no leaks. Last week I was pelted with sheets of rain from Hurricane Cindy driving 40 highway miles to work and then the truck sat in the parking lot in the downpour all day, then the drive home and I do not have a drop inside anywhere! If you've driven the Ridgeline you know about the superior ride, driving and handling.

I don't know what your needs are for a truck but I feel as though this truck was designed for me.

Good luck!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jch said:
Not sure about the p265X70X17's fitting?? I traded in a 3 month old 05 Tacoma double cab 4x4 for a Ridgeline. THAT'S how much I like this vehicle!! Regarding water leaks, my VIN is in the supposed danger zone for this problem. I wash it every weekend, no leaks. Last week I was pelted with sheets of rain from Hurricane Cindy driving 40 highway miles to work and then the truck sat in the parking lot in the downpour all day, then the drive home and I do not have a drop inside anywhere! If you've driven the Ridgeline you know about the superior ride, driving and handling.

I don't know what your needs are for a truck but I feel as though this truck was designed for me.

Good luck!
What is the VIN# that I should be looking for regarding the leaks?

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Unless you live in an area where there's been no turn over on the lot, you are probably not going to get a low VIN number. Do a search of this forum and you will find the posts about VINs.

Our truck has none of the issues some have had problems with and we love it. We'd love it even if it had to be repaired if our dealer treated us right.

Go drive the Ridgeline again and sleep on it. If you are not sure about this, back out. It's a lot of money and you should get the vehicle you want.

You will see on this threads that owners love these trucks, but as Thumper said, the truck has to fit your needs and lifestyle.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thumper said:
It really depends on who you are... I'm a semi-old guy. This truck fits my needs. I really have no extreme off road needs, but I make alot of Home Depot runs. The sound system is more than adequate, the vehicle is as smooth and comfortable as I could ever ask for, and the milage is better than my old Ford van. My wife is comfortable driving it, and likes it as much as I do. It tows my three thousand pound boat well enough and still drives as well as an Accord.
Our RTS had to have the windshield fixed, but there have been no other problems. Honda fixed the assembly problem with the windshields, so it shouldnt be an issue any more.
Tire size change would'nt be a good idea because of the computerized control systems for handleing.
If your a young guy, and need to play really really hard, this may not be you best choice, but for over-all utillity and comfort, Ridgeline cant be beat.
I am basically a "Weekend Warrior" and have two young boys..just poured money into the tundra tires/rims, lift, a.r.e cover, but i could use the extra space in the back of the ridge and dont need such a large bed...i would really be pissed though if i had any problems..never had one thing wrong w/toyota..but i was getting 15k on a trade..any longer i won't get as much on a trade..now or never..

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a 2002 Tundra Access Cab that I loved. However the back seat was too small to carry passengers comfortably for any distance. I traded in my AC for a 2004 DC. I loved the DC on the road and it had more than ample room for passengers. However, for my needs of driving and parking mostly in heavely congested area, the DC was just too big. Since I never used either Tundra as "a truck" I'm hoping that the Ridgeline gives me the best of both worlds.

I had no problems with either Tundra. I loved them both and would highly recommend both the AC and DC if they fit ones needs. Since I have owned 11 Honda's since 1984 and currently own a 1999 Prelude and a 2003 Pilot I feltl very comfortable buying another Honda product. I have had my Ridgeline about a month and have driven it only put about 500 miles, but so far I love it. I don't think you will go wrong by buying the Ridgeland.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am living on the GulfCoast of Florida where rain is a part of the lving experience here, especially this time of year. Dennis just passed by and dumped about 6 inches of it and no leaks. i think there will be some problems along the way , (replaced my power steering rack 3 weeks ago) but the overall of what you get in this vehicle is terrific.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can't help but comment on post #4 on this thread where jch says he traded in a 3 month Toyota Tacoma double cab 4x4 on a Honda Ridgeline.

Fortunately for us, after looking at the Toyota Tacoma product and almost buying one, we decided to take a look at the new Ridgeline we caught a glimpse of had while driving by the Honda dealership. Once we saw, examined, and took a test drive, there was a compoete turn around in our thinking. We now own a Ridgeline. So thankful we saw the one Ridgeline on the lot while driving by. This is one outstanding truck design.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
When I started my truck hunt it was let's go buy a Colorado but let's try everything else first before we actually buy it. We knew we wanted a compact truck, not a full size truck. So I went out to look around. We first tried a Colorado, it was nice, had interesting features and was comfortable. We like the leather seats in that better because of the added power seat features. And we were pretty much sold, it was during Employee Pricing month so it was a significant reduction in price without the need to haggle my way there. We then went to a Nissan dealership, and still the Colorado was well in advance. I really didn't like the Frontier at all, it wasn't very comfortable, and the sales guy was a gnat (which means he talked about what he wanted to at the annoyance of myself and my wife) and he only let us take maybe a 2 mile test drive so he was useless, when I asked how does it handle on the highway, instead of suggesting I take it 1/2 mile away to the highway to try out, he said fine. So he lost even a chance of Nissan getting a sale. We then drove down the street to the Toyota dealership, the guy was nice and the car had interesting features. The Tacoma has the ability to have the nice outlet in the bed, the composite bed was nice, and the truck rode okay. The problem was that it was hard to get into, and the rear seat room was the least of the three trucks we had tried to that moment. I am not sure how Toyota says they have more leg room than they do. When the driver has his seat back in place there is no room. I was able to fit somewhat comfortably behind the driver's seat in every other truck with the driver's seat set so I could drive. But when I tried to get behind the driver in the Tacoma it just didn't work, I could sit there, but maybe only for 10 to 15 minutes before I would have to get out. I looked at the Dodge but had no interest in it at all, I can't even explain why, I didn't even take a test drive. The Ranger is the same Ranger it was 5 to 10 years ago, it just isn't even current. I tried one before and didn't bother to try one this time out. Then we went to the Honda dealership to try out the Ridgeline. I had tried one before when I was out getting my wife's car serviced but I just took it for a quick drive. This time I tried sitting in the back, sitting in the front, and all that. Also the first time out I took an RTS for a ride. I really disliked leather before this. I have to say in the test drive with my wife she was impressed. In fact it is the first time I have ever gone shopping for a vehicle and my wife actively tried to convince me to buy the most expensive vehicle in the list.

I bought the Ridgeline because it was the best equiped by default without adding extra accessories, the most comfortable with 4 adults in the car (I have yet to find any vehicle I would put 5 adults in and call it comfortable), it was the smoothest driving vehicle, and had the most unique storage features. And probably the biggest reason, my wife seemed interested in all the stuff that went into buying this truck. And we have done 3 trips to Home Depot and gone canoeing already with it, something we haven't done for a while before getting the truck. So we are doing more now that we have the new toy, but it may just be the newness.

If the Ridgeline meets your needs you will not regret the purchase.

·
Registered
275 Posts
AMLEO said:
What is the VIN# that I should be looking for regarding the leaks?
I don't recall anymore the number range, as Truckin' stated in his post, there is at least one thread that goes through VIN stuff. I just know that after I read the thread I checked and my truck was just inside the VINs. Not sure as to the validity of this. With any new vehicle you purchase, there is a chance there will be issues with it. If you purchase a Honda I believe the odds are strongly in your favor that you'll have a great vehicle. If there is a problem...my Honda dealer (and I've seen countless others with the same comment) is great and will do what it takes to make it right.

·
Registered
82 Posts
captmiddy said:
The Ranger is the same Ranger it was 5 to 10 years ago, it just isn't even current. I tried one before and didn't bother to try one this time out.
The Ridgeline doesn't really compare to the Ranger. You should have looked at the Explorer Sport Trac. Four door mid-size 4x4 with a small bed. I spent all weekend looking at them and came really close to buying.

But... the Ford is based on the old Explorer and is on it's last legs due to be redesigned next year as an '07. Also found out that it gets horrible mileage and has had tranny troubles. I started looking at an XLS but the base model cannot be bought with Cruise Control. So that was out. When I moved up to the XLT it was tough even finding one that was not loaded out with the option packages or as an XLT Premium. Long story short, a base XLT came out to $23K+ even with Employee pricing AND $2000 cash back.

Well folks, you can likely get an RT for $25K and change. The base Ridgeline offers more than the mid level Sport Trac. And... it's a Honda.

For crying out loud Ford, if you want to compete with Honda you've got to beat it by more than $2000 during your super blow-out sale.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The theory is that the VIN #s w/o issues will be 16,000 or higher.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Crispy said:
The Ridgeline doesn't really compare to the Ranger. You should have looked at the Explorer Sport Trac. Four door mid-size 4x4 with a small bed. I spent all weekend looking at them and came really close to buying.
Well four door trucks weren't a requirement when I first started looking, we tried both extended cab and crew cabs. The Explorer was out because of its horrible emissions rating and general age as well. Also I have a relative with a Sport Trac and that took it out of the running as well. We don't have any kids, and seldom really have more than 2 people in the car. I wanted the ability to have more if necessary. This wasn't anything against Ford, I have owned two Ford vehicles in the past 10 years. Given that in 12 years this is only our 5th vehicle and we keep 2 at a time Ford is tied with Honda.

The Honda just left everything else in the dust thus the fact we have it now. Of course it is put away again for the week while we drive our hybrid for commuting each day.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
It was love at first sight. We didn't look at anything else or drive anything else. We love our Ridgeline!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Truckin' said:
It was love at first sight. We didn't look at anything else or drive anything else. We love our Ridgeline!
Same here. It was Ridgeline or stay with a car for me.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I have to compare my Ridgeline to a Ranger because I traded one in for for it. I'm not alone. There are a few of us here who did.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
AMLEO, my VIN is 503237, and have no problems...I picked it up in March and have 3300 miles. It's undoubtedly the best vehicle I have ever owned in my 58 years. This is also my first pick up truck. I would have never have thought of owning one till now. My last three vehicles were Grand Cherokee's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts