Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the oem radio (no navi or subwoofer), with a pioneer FH-X700BT head unit. I now have terrible reception with the tuner, I used a Metra 40-HD10 antenna harness. The only thing I did not hook up is a blue-white wire from the antenna harness, I did not know where this should be connected. Does anyone have any suggestions, is it the wire, is it the harness or the headunit.

bbell

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
It is almost in-avoidable that reception will get worse when you go aftermarket, but your problem is most likely that wire. Connect the wire from the antenna harness to the power antenna wire on your radio harness. It powers an amplifier that compensates for our sub par antenna location.

I'll be adding an additional antenna sometime in the future, and will make a post if it significantly helps out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I replaced the oem radio (no navi or subwoofer), with a pioneer FH-X700BT head unit. I now have terrible reception with the tuner, I used a Metra 40-HD10 antenna harness. The only thing I did not hook up is a blue-white wire from the antenna harness, I did not know where this should be connected. Does anyone have any suggestions, is it the wire, is it the harness or the headunit.

bbell
This has been discussed before. Search 12v antenna in the Google search box above. The OEM head unit has an amp built into the radio. Non OEM units don't have this and the antenna in the RL is poor so no matter what you do the Radio reception will be weak. Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is what I posted after having the same problem.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72050

The antenna adapter should of had a blue wire and it needs to be hooked up to a "switched" power wire. (power when key is in the on position) It is yellow with a red stripe. You probably already have it hooked up to the red power wire of your new unit. That got my reception back. Ask if you need further help. It took me a couple of weeks to find the answer. And it was here on the forum all along.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Why don't you guys use the power antenna wire coming out of the back of the radio? Then when you change source on the radio (iPod/Sat/CD...) the amplifier will turn off, as opposed to just always being on when the truck is on. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
651 Posts
This has been discussed before. Search 12v antenna in the Google search box above. The OEM head unit has an amp built into the radio. Non OEM units don't have this and the antenna in the RL is poor so no matter what you do the Radio reception will be weak. Good Luck!
The highlited part is untrue. The OEM radio does not have the antenna amp built in. That antenna amp is located under the headliner above the rear center window. It is powered and if you did not reconnect 12v to that amp reception will be far worse than it was before. Put 12v to it and your reception should improve to pre swap levels. Admittedly not the best but better than you have now.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Why don't you guys use the power antenna wire coming out of the back of the radio? Then when you change source on the radio (iPod/Sat/CD...) the amplifier will turn off, as opposed to just always being on when the truck is on. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
In theory, that may be correct. However i believe that it depends on the output of the radio to the power antenna wire. If it is constantly powered the, yes, your idea should work. If it only powers on for long enough to raise the mast then it would only power the amp for a short time. If it sends a reverse voltage signal to retract the mast then you could easily destroy the amp.

I don't see how powering the antenna amp while the truck is on is that big a deal. It cannot be drawing al that much current.

As a side note, I wonder if the OEM radio turns the amp off when the HU is in other modes?

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
I believe the 12v is constant to power antenna motors, and it is the removal of the 12 volt signal that causes the antenna to go down. I've been out of the car audio game for more than 10 years now, though it used to be my entire life - LOL.

I have an aversion to leaving things on when the don't need to be (OCD), and also you could reduce the life of the amp, but I'm not sure it would truly matter b/c even being always on with the truck, the components of the amp might still out last the truck.

When I upgrade my head unit in a few weeks my multimeter and I will get to the bottom of this!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts