Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, since this is my first post I'd like to say "hi!" and thank the forum for helping me appreciate and learn more about my new G2 RTL-E. Took six months for my local dealer to get me one, and so far it's been worth the wait.

As an amateur astronomer I need to be able to kill ALL lights on the vehicle, mainly while parked. However, it sometimes becomes necessary to perhaps [drive] out of a parking space in the dark for very short distances (with guidance from outside the truck!), and not blind a field full of my buddies who spent the last hour becoming fully dark-adapted.

I understand that I can start the truck and the DRLs won't come on until the parking brake is released. Is there any way to temporarily disable the DRLs altogether? I don't think so, at least not without removing a fuse somewhere.

I'm well aware of DRL laws and I agree they are generally a good idea, and I don't want to permanently disable them.

Second question: It seems the bed lights automatically come on when the trunk is opened. I can then turn them off from the driver's seat but I can't seem to figure out how to keep them off as I open and close the trunk. I'll be keeping equipment in there with the lid closed to keep the dew off. I guess I could lower the lid until is is just above the limit switch, but I can see me hitting that and being blinded the next time I open it.

Thanks again for any help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome! I too will be taking my scope out with this vehicle.

While I dont have an answer for you, in previous vehicles lightly applying the parking brake would shut of the DRLs, but not prevent the vehicle from driving a short distance. Maybe that would work?

As far as the bed lights, maybe there is a switch you can hold closed with tape or something so the bed lights dont come on when opening the trunk.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'm thinking if you play around with your parking brake setting, like just a couple of clicks you can keep DRLs off temporally. You could backup or move forward a short distance, set that way.The bed lights, on the night you are going out just put some tape over the lens. Don't know how often you go out but that might work. I understand tape would kinda be a PITA. another idea would be make some could of cover and use heavy duty velcro to attach the covers. When your done star gazing pull covers off. If you use black velcro it won't show too much when the covers are off.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
...I need to be able to kill ALL lights on the vehicle, mainly while parked. However, it sometimes becomes necessary to perhaps back out of a parking space in the dark...
? Don't the reverse lights ALSO come on when backing up?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think i recall seeing a way to temporarily disable the DRL's. I want to say that it had something to do with the parking brake, turning the ignition either on or off, and possibly something with the transmission too. I never tested it out, though. I've been wondering about this too. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I found it. You must start the engine with the parking brake on. The DRL's come on as soon as you release the parking brake. Can't turn them off again without shutting down the engine. If you are going to move the vehicle, i would recommend only doing one click on the parking brake. I didn't try moving, or even putting my truck in gear, but I'm assumingthat the DRL's will remain off. Obviously I would avoid driving very far like this, especially if you can feel much, or any, resistance with one click of the parking brake. Also, make sure you have all of your other lights switched off first. Are the regular brake lights also going to be an issue?

·
Registered
995 Posts
What does everyone else in the group do?

For me I'd blank off the head and tail lights with blankets and plastic covers. I'd put red tinted film over the bed lights.

I would also be very careful with the lights when covered off since heat will build up underneath.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After I got home this afternoon I experimented a bit and found that the DRLs cut on when the parking brake reaches its full "up" position, so parking with it only slightly engaged will take care of that. I also like that once I'm out of sight of the telescope field, the DRLs will come on as usual. Of course, this would only be for a few yards typically, and never on any public roads.

The bed lights, though, always come on whenever the trunk lid is unlatched and opened. As others have suggested, I think some sort of temporary cover should take care of those. The best bet might be to simply leave the thing closed, but it just seems too darn handy to have that storage well begging to be used.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got RTL; hate DRL since inception. Honda made it easy, just pull 7.5 fuse in slot 21 under the dash on driver's side.:wink:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Maybe replace the bed lights with red LEDs. Keep the trunk closed, but open as needed for light that's acceptable.
Too funny, I went the other way. I work on a four lane state Road. Have to cross the two oncoming lanes to get into parking lots
All parking and brake and turn are V-LED leds. Headlights and foglights are PIAA EXTREME WHITE
Fogs are rewired to come on with running lights. So essentially I have four DRLs running all the time. I want the people in oncoming lanes to see me.

I drive a 2010 RTL

·
Registered
970 Posts
As another amateur (although seldom by truck now that I live at a dark site), I wonder if one could find lower intensity and maybe red LED bulbs that would fit the bed lights. Another possibility would be to wire an inline off switch to the trunk light switch so it had no effect. One could maybe put that in the recess for the AC outlet?

·
Registered
433 Posts
<Snip> Another possibility would be to wire an inline off switch to the trunk light switch so it had no effect. One could maybe put that in the recess for the AC outlet?
When I did my Honda online survey my one recommendation was to add an On/Off switch in the rear of the bed for the bed lights. A PITA to use the cab switch. Could be similar to the interior lights 3-position light switch. Like Honda is going to actually listen! :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have had my 2010 since new. And so far I haven't had an issue when I open the tail gate at night or day that the lights came on. Except in the OPs use where he doesn't want them to come on in a specialized occasion. The G1s even have a switch on the dash to turn them on manually. [Cargo Lights] Doesn't turn them off when the trunk is opened.

So my idea that I posted further up in this thread. Get black velcro and a couple pieces of black plastic and cover the lights when he goes star gazing. Much simpler and cheaper then trying to figure out how to rewire truck.
Or just take the bulbs out. Though the first-time to time he opens trunk to guickly get something out and the lights don't come on, he's gonna be pived. Or velcro a flashlight in easy access when he opens it.?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had my 2010 since new. And so far I haven't had an issue when I open the tail gate at night or day that the lights came on. Except in the OPs use where he doesn't want them to come on in a specialized occasion. The G1s even have a switch on the dash to turn them on manually. [Cargo Lights] Doesn't turn them off when the trunk is opened.

So my idea that I posted further up in this thread. Get black velcro and a couple pieces of black plastic and cover the lights when he goes star gazing. Much simpler and cheaper then trying to figure out how to rewire truck.
Or just take the bulbs out. Though the first-time to time he opens trunk to guickly get something out and the lights don't come on, he's gonna be pived. Or velcro a flashlight in easy access when he opens it.?

here's the light switch in my 2013..
Try this

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The bed lights are sealed units with LEDs. I know, because one of mine filled with moisture and had to be replaced. They come out easily. You can simply remove them or unplug them, if you don't want them coming on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts