Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my ridge is pushing just under 6000 miles and just had oil changed (at dealer). Started noticing at about 4000 miles that when I turn over the ignition its not firing up right away like it normally would. Thought it was all in my head so I've ignored it, but it seems like its getting worse. The first turn over in the morning and I have to hold the ignition for 3-4 long seconds and if I dont it bogs out like its going to die. It hasnt actually died yet from not holding the ignition long enough but its a recognizable lag that wasnt there originally. My beamer now and my civic before this fired up right away just turning over the ignition, no holding the key for 3 seconds before letting go. Seems like something could be up or maybe bigger engine need more electricity????. Any comments.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Haven't heard of this problem. Sounds like a weak battery or bad terminal connection. I'd get it checked ASAP!

L

·
0 Posts
steveberger said:
Haven't heard of this problem. Sounds like a weak battery or bad terminal connection. I'd get it checked ASAP!
Ditto!! Don't delay.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the same problem, I even turn power on, so pump kicks in. Still, like about 1.5 seconds

·
Registered
165 Posts
your not alone, mine does the same thing from time to time.

this was posted and discussed an another post, people had some different ideas. (cant recall now, try a search on starting maybe)

My Ody would do it every now and again but not as much as my Ridge. I would say mine does it once every 25-30 starts and even in normal condition it doesn't start as fast as other Honda's I have owned.

OBTW......mine is just a longer lag and is probably only an extra second or so and has never taking 3-4 extra seconds to start so I'm thinking you better have them have a look under her dress....!!! good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My Ridge does not do this, of course I only have 4000 miles right now and my windshield did not whistle until 3000 miles. :rolleyes: The 03 accord we had did what you are talking about BIG TIME. Had it into the dealer a couple times, checked battery ect..nothing :confused:

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had an S10 blazer that did that. It turned out to be a bad fuel pump not producing enough pressure to completly open the injectors. Get it checked...it under warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
set it up with dealer to leave Ridge there Sun night so they can duplicate it first turn over Mon morning and I will video record it Sat and Sun morning to also help them. The day after posting my intitial post and again today it actually wouldnt even turn over with the first turn of the ignition and then the second turn gave it just barely enough to start revving. I'll post what they find and thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
hmmmm.... I came across this thread this morning and it describes a similar sympton I've had since "day one".
It takes my RL 1 to 2 seconds to turnover while holding my key turned in the ignition, but since it's happened since the first time I started it, I thought that it was a "normal" condition. And when I mentioned it to the salesman, he said they were all like this.
But apparently not?
Is it normal to hear it turning 5 or 6 times before it turns over? Sorta sounds like "va-ra-ra-ra-ra-rooom". (the "rooom" part being the turnover sound) [c'mon now... I can hear you laughing... :rolleyes: ]
I initially thought it was strange, but because my last three vehicles had engines about half the size of the RL's, I shrugged it off as being something I'd have to learn to put up with - bigger motor, longer crank-time.
With my 1.9L Saturn, I could just bump the start position, it would crank 1 or 2 times, "va-rooom", and the engine was IMMEDIATELY turned over. I don't get it... am I harming the starter having to hold the key in the start position for so long?
Being that it's been like this since I got it, wouldn't you think that someone else would have noticed it, and had it taken care of before it got into my hands? :confused:

edit: There's another thread dealing with this same "problem". Looks like it's more widespread than I first thought...
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687&highlight=ignition

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sounds like a weak battery or a weak battery connection. Do you do many short-drives?

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
gonzo's rt said:
Sounds like a weak battery or a weak battery connection. Do you do many short-drives?
Yep... usually 5-10 mile trips back and forth to work, to the grocery store, the gas station...

I checked the battery connections and will have the battery checked next time I'm at the dealer. I've had no other battery-related problems. Seems like the amperage is there. Spins the starter quick enough, just doesn't turn over as quickly as I'm used to.

The other thread that I mentioned in my last post has some differing opinions if anyone else is affected by this and would like more info...

thanks gonzo :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts