Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My 2006 RTS has developed two intermittent rattles I'd love to hunt down and silence, thought I'd run em by the group and see if anyone has any advice.

The first is a vibration inside the driver's side roof column right beside my head. The rattle itself sounds like metal-against-metal, like a thin piece of metal trim or something vibrating at a relatively high frequency. It seems to come from underneath the plastic doorframe trim, maybe around the seat belt hanger assembly. It seems to occur unrelated to rough pavement, so I don't know what causes it, but it's very intermittent. Has been occurring infrequently since I bought the truck in June.

The second vibration is more of a heavier mechanical rattle coming from somewhere in front of the passenger seat. Can't tell if it's from something inside the dash, or in front of the firewall. It occurs when I drive over rough pavement or asphalt patches on pavement, and a lot more frequently along gravel roads. It might be something suspension or steering related, or it may be something that wasn't tightened or was left inside the dash when the dealership performed the airbag fix.

I know it's a long shot, but hopefully someone on here has seen this before and might have an answer for me, thanks!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The second vibration is more of a heavier mechanical rattle coming from somewhere in front of the passenger seat. Can't tell if it's from something inside the dash, or in front of the firewall. It occurs when I drive over rough pavement or asphalt patches on pavement, and a lot more frequently along gravel roads. It might be something suspension or steering related, or it may be something that wasn't tightened or was left inside the dash when the dealership performed the airbag fix.
Check the windshield fluid container in engine compartment. The plastic pin is usually broken causing that annoying rattle.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
Not knowing what you've checked, the first order of business is to clean out the junk from your truck in all storage areas, including the trunk. That's typically been where I've found unwelcome noises as have others who just couldn't believe the noises they were hearing were coming from junk in the trunk. And yet, so it was.

Second, check the windshield washer reservoir. It may be missing the clip:

No clue about the rattle beside your head. But that should get you started.

Doh! I see e_piph_a_ny beat me to it!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the windshield fluid container in engine compartment. The plastic pin is usually broken causing that annoying rattle.
Thanks guys! I just ran out to the parking lot and checked. You're right! There is nothing holding the washer fluid neck to the wall of the engine compartment.

You mention it's a plastic pin; any idea what to ask for? I assume that's something that my local dealership might have stocked.

Also, if those plastic pins break frequently, has the ROC come up with a better replacement than the OEM fastener?

The other rattle, beside my head, is really almost a buzzing sound. Kind of like when a housefly or wasp gets caught between your blinds and your window in your house. But this one has been occurring infrequently since June, and seems to be somewhat temperature-related.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Two things:

1) I replaced the windshield jug fastener with the same OEM plastic fastener that was in there... got it from the dealer (they can look it up on their screen to get you the right one.
I Will say that it took some gorilla-leverage to get the holes lined up enough to get that pin inserted, but the 'misalignment' actually helps hold it firmly in position w/o any movement (once you get the fastener installed). It has held fine for me, but I'm in SoCal, and don't know if it breaks more easily in colder weather areas. I don't really recall anyone saying they've had multiple breaks with this. YMMV. (You could also just use a large diameter, short length sheet metal screw of appropriate size I suppose)

2) This may be a long shot on your ear-buzz... but sometimes sounds reflect. You might just check your sun visor clip (where is seats in stowed position). This makes a light buzzy rattle when it's not seated firmly (or not seated at all). Long shot, but thought I'd mention anyway.

If you're sure that "ear-buzz" is coming from behind that cover, you're just going to have to take off the trim pieces to see what's up. It's possible you have a wire harness or clip that's suspended in there doing funny things.
You also have the air-bag assembly in there that could be insecure. Did you get the side airbag done when they did the under-dash one? Might they have done a courtesy check of the side airbag when the did the driver's recall replacement? I'd follow those clues, and if dealer didn't go in there at all, it's just going to be "exploratory surgery".

Good Luck, and be sure to share whatever you end up finding. :)

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
For #2, try moving the adjustable seat belt bracket to a new location. Also try yanking on the belt to get the inertial reel to lock and see if that tightens things up.

Chip H.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dnick, the airbag recall was performed by the dealership prior to me purchasing it this summer, so I don't know exactly what they did or didn't do. Although I suspect they did no more than necessary. The buzzing was present during my test drive, but it wasn't a dealbreaker and still isn't.

I am kinda confused now, since I'm not sitting in my truck - is the side air bag in the column, or in the seat itself? I used to think it was in the column, then when looking at some seatcovers, they noted whether they were compatible with side airbags or not, so I started thinking the air bags are in the seat body itself. Kinda nervous to take off trim pieces if it's going to be in the vicinity of airbags.

chiph, I have already tried readjusting the seat belt bracket but that didn't affect anything. I may try engaging the inertial reel next as you suggest.

Thanks guys, and keep em coming!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Dnick, the airbag recall was performed by the dealership prior to me purchasing it this summer, so I don't know exactly what they did or didn't do. Although I suspect they did no more than necessary. The buzzing was present during my test drive, but it wasn't a dealbreaker and still isn't.

I am kinda confused now, since I'm not sitting in my truck - is the side air bag in the column, or in the seat itself? I used to think it was in the column, then when looking at some seatcovers, they noted whether they were compatible with side airbags or not, so I started thinking the air bags are in the seat body itself. Kinda nervous to take off trim pieces if it's going to be in the vicinity of airbags.

chiph, I have already tried readjusting the seat belt bracket but that didn't affect anything. I may try engaging the inertial reel next as you suggest.

Thanks guys, and keep em coming!
Yeah I think you're right on the side airbag being in the seat. Sometimes my mind just floats away.....

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Yes, side airbags are in the seat bolsters.

The side-curtain airbags are in the headliner, along the sides. The ignitor for them is also under the headliner, back by the back glass (there's a curved pipe that directs the gas/rocket-exhaust to the bags)

Chip H.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Thanks guys! I just ran out to the parking lot and checked. You're right! There is nothing holding the washer fluid neck to the wall of the engine compartment.

You mention it's a plastic pin; any idea what to ask for? I assume that's something that my local dealership might have stocked.

Also, if those plastic pins break frequently, has the ROC come up with a better replacement than the OEM fastener?
I got my replacement pin from Autozone. They have 3rd party clones at a cheaper price. I just eyeballed the reservoir and the fender hole for the suitable pin.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Sound can telegraph and bounce around in odd ways in vehicles. Maybe the noise near your head is the dash speaker cover. They are a known source of irritating noise. The cover can be pried off fairly easily with a credit card or something similar.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went by the local Honda dealership today and picked up the replacement pin. I gave the parts guy the part #, and he said it was $3.99 + tax. I said for that much, why don't ya'll give me a strip of double-sided foam tape for free so I don't have to go buy a whole roll I don't need.

They hooked me up with some tape from the Service manager, and the parts guy actually said, "Those pins pop out pretty easily and get lost alot, so I went ahead and put two of them in your bag."

Already did the fix in the dealership parking lot and had to go across some train tracks on the way back to the office. No rattle. :) We'll see how long the fix lasts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think I have the same rattles as you. I'll be checking the washer bottle to fix number 2, but I had thought the rattle #1 was coming from the dash. To me it sounds like a mechanical speedometer that is showing wear and making noise. I'll try the speaker grill, but could it be the speedo or the tachometer?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I think I have the same rattles as you. I'll be checking the washer bottle to fix number 2, but I had thought the rattle #1 was coming from the dash. To me it sounds like a mechanical speedometer that is showing wear and making noise. I'll try the speaker grill, but could it be the speedo or the tachometer?
Could be your air-mix doors (or whatever they are called) in your heater-A/C unit. They make a "soft" rattle when they get sticky.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts