Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current '05 Taco owner who is looking hard at the G2 Ridgeline. I was really disappointed with the new generation of Tacomas when they came out and am now looking hard at a new Ridgeline RTL-E.

I have a couple of random questions that I'm hoping that someone can help me with. I've read through a lot of the threads, but haven't seen these addressed:

1.) I know the back seats fold up, but are they supposed to stay up on their own? When I went to the dealer, one truck did and one didn't, and I'm looking to understand what I can hold the dealer to. I would think that they should, but manufacturers aren't always logical.


2.) Can the truck pop a (road) curb as is? I know that is probably a stupid question, but I'm worried about the low ground clearance. The off-road videos that I've seen weren't conclusive and I can't see a dealer letting me borrow one of their trucks to test it out. I would hope so, but...

Thanks a lot for your help (and thanks to all of you posting on the new model.)

Todd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
The seats do stay up on their own. If you push it all the way up it will lock into place. To release, you pull the same handle you used to lift it.
The other question, Yes it can, but you have to be careful. When I went to look at the sport it was up on the curb in front of the doors. When the salesman pulled it off for the test drive he went straight off instead of an angle and it drag a little. Had he let one wheel down first, then the other it would have been o.k. The RL was parked next to the gray car when I got there, and this is the curb he pulled it off of. 20160622_185734_Film2.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
By the way, I too was looking at the Tacoma and have decided the RL will better fit me. And, you won´t see this feature on the Tacoma. If you are looking at the upper trims they will have power seats, which you will still won´t see in the Tacoma.
20160622_185558_HDR_Film2.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The seats do stay up on their own. If you push it all the way up it will lock into place. To release, you pull the same handle you used to lift it.
The other question, Yes it can, but you have to be careful. When I went to look at the sport it was up on the curb in front of the doors. When the salesman pulled it off for the test drive he went straight off instead of an angle and it drag a little. Had he let one wheel down first, then the other it would have been o.k. The RL was parked next to the gray car when I got there, and this is the curb he pulled it off of. View attachment 241193
I like a lot of things about the RL, but I wish they had made it about 5% more truck. It's been 20+ years since I've had to pay attention to how I get one/off a curb. Would another inch or two hurt MPGs that much? Oh well. Worse things to have to deal with. Thanks for the information on both questions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way, I too was looking at the Tacoma and have decided the RL will better fit me. And, you won´t see this feature on the Tacoma. If you are looking at the upper trims they will have power seats, which you will still won´t see in the Tacoma.
View attachment 241201
Yeah. There are a ton of positives on the RL versus the new Taco. I was really disappointed when I drove that truck. The Ridgeline looks exactly like my wife's Pilot and I'll get laughed at from all of my redneck friends for having one, but I don't even care. The RL fits 95% of my needs extremely well and I can make it work for the other 5%. Now if someone can figure how to lift it an inch or two, I'll be really happy. Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
The OP's question is a good one, and a simple test of any trucks' capability. If a truck can't overcome a simple curb in a parking lot or road, how can it be expected to perform in other less-controlled areas? Most concrete curbing (depending on the local codes) is 5 - 7 inches. I usually figure a maximum of 8". In winter, snow obscures curbs. In my current 2nd Gen Tacoma I never had a worry of doing damage while confidently traversing the roads/parking lots. The possibility of a lift being made for the GII is important to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've heard of mall crawlers and rock crawlers, but this is the first time I have heard of Kerb Krawlers.
When you live in Florida, a curb is the biggest "rock" you see. I was hoping that it would give me a good idea of how bad the low clearance was going to be. Most of the rest of the "issues" that I see with the truck are easily worked around. If we can't put even a small lift kit onto the truck, clearance as is, gets a lot more important to me. Need to be able to climb over those gators somehow. ;o)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I've had a lot of different trucks and I made fun of my buddy when he bought a G1 back in 06. Then I went on a road trip with him. It was so smooth and the trunk was a game changer. I bought an 07 a few years later and it was the best truck I've owned. I have no idea what I'd do without the trunk. I keep tools, a tackle box, tow straps, some crazy creek chairs, my climbing gear and golf clubs in that baby. It felt exactly the same when I traded it in as when I first bought it. After owning one for a bit I didn't give a rats ace what any of my hillbilly friends said about my truck. It did what I needed and did it better than all the other trucks I owned before. I traded it last week for a new RTL-E and am psyched.
 

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
Joined
·
22,591 Posts
Colefo, how do you find the trunk space in the G2? My eyeball says it looks a lot narrower (North - South) than the G1... and thus looks smaller... although it might be deeper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Colefo, how do you find the trunk space in the G2? My eyeball says it looks a lot narrower (North - South) than the G1... and thus looks smaller... although it might be deeper.
Visually and physically it is about 1 cu.ft. smaller. However, Honda claims it has more usable flat space.
 

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
Joined
·
22,591 Posts
Interesting. As I currently use my trunk, I think it would restrict my space. But I probably could work around it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Colefo, how do you find the trunk space in the G2? My eyeball says it looks a lot narrower (North - South) than the G1... and thus looks smaller... although it might be deeper.
From my look over, the depth was the same. Front to back, the G2 was either 3 or 5 inches narrower I can't remember the measurements but I personally consider it significant. The trunk looks much smaller and I personally feel there is less usable space. I don't know how Honda can say it is one cubic foot smaller but has more (usable) space...I'm going to miss that cubic foot. I also liked the ledge on the right side. My golf clubs still fit just fine in there (with the ledge I mean).
 

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
Joined
·
22,591 Posts
Hmm. Being irregular in shape, I measured my G1 at ~48.25 inches E to W at the top narrowing to ~47.75 down by the tool tray. N to S down by where the spare tire tray connects measures about 20.5+ or so. Depth looks like it's just under 18 inches from the lip to my carpet on the bottom.

It's a bit complex so you'd almost have to see where I'm measuring to compare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Yeah. There are a ton of positives on the RL versus the new Taco. I was really disappointed when I drove that truck. The Ridgeline looks exactly like my wife's Pilot and I'll get laughed at from all of my redneck friends for having one, but I don't even care. The RL fits 95% of my needs extremely well and I can make it work for the other 5%. Now if someone can figure how to lift it an inch or two, I'll be really happy. Thanks again.
Well, when your redneck friends with Tacomas laugh at you, just reach down there on your left and adjust your seat up or down:grin:
Or, walk to the back and open the trunk filled with ice and cold drinks and grab one for yourself and don´t offer them one. Or even better, (if you frequent the tacomaworld forum you will know what I am talking about) pull your dipstick for the transmission fluid. The Tacoma has a sealed transmission and there are several members having issues with the truck coming from the factory low on fluid and dealers aren´t checking because of the long process.
I am not afraid to say it, I really like the new Ridgeline over the Tacoma and I will be happy to purchase and drive my RTS or Sport, which ever one I get a better deal on. Give it a little time, there will be a lift available from someone.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top