Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I decided to start a thread need some help/ tips...

First off i was looking at the USA Spec PA15-Hon2 and it looks great but i was curious if its worth the money and the trouble...

I have a FM transmitter for my ipod i mean it works but its not that loud cause it has to be played using an FM station so it kinda sucks... i dont know if the direct input for the ipod will make a differnece that is worth about 140 bucks...

Also i just bought the truxxx lift kit.. im def excited about it but i worried about the install... sadly i dont have a garage to work on it myself which means im probably going to have to pay someone to install it.. does anyone know how much that would cost? Also i was thinking of having to take it down to tj and have it installed there for cheap. i have a buddy down there who owns a shop but im not sure if i wanna use it becuase the kit is such a big deal...

All inputs and comments are welcome

So thanks for all the help guys and hope everyone enjoyed the holidays

-Hanley

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I have a FM transmitter for my ipod i mean it works but its not that loud cause it has to be played using an FM station so it kinda sucks... i dont know if the direct input for the ipod will make a differnece that is worth about 140 bucks...
Using a FM transmitter and direct input is the difference from AM radio and home stereo.

Do it, use whatever end product, (be it iSimple or USA Spec or one of many other products) it's well worth the time and expense.:act035:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Using a FM transmitter and direct input is the difference from AM radio and home stereo.

Do it, use whatever end product, (be it iSimple or USA Spec or one of many other products) it's well worth the time and expense.:act035:
Ditto. Opinions of which is the best adapter defer button there is no contest between sound quality of FM transmitters compared to "hard wired" solutions. Hell....even those old FM cassette adapters yield substantially better quality than FM transmitters. FM transmitters are truly the worst possible way to play an iPod or the like through a stereo. If you want something cheaper but much improved in quality, just get a cheaper AUX input adapter that just plugs in to the headphone jack of the iPod. You would have to get a car charger and would have no iPod controls via the head unit but you don't have that now either.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
I have the opinion that $150 for one of those is way too much considering some issues and bugs with them, but I am sure many here have no issues or put out with them. And if you get one, many here will help you get it to work somehow.

$150.00 buys a complete aftermarket receiver with install kits and so many options, ipod display without issues, usb ports for listening to music with memory sticks, aux inputs, digital radio, blue tooth, cd text display, better sound, crossovers, equalizers, better flexibility to add amplifiers and maybe I am forgetting some extras. Detachable face.

Things you loose, assuming you have it:
factory subwoofer
and wheel steering controls but you can get a device for $50.00 that will help you integrate your steering controls to your aftermarket receiver.

But again it is easier to just install one those rather than removing the factory radio and installing a new one. Just my 2 cents :D:D: take it any way you want it. :act047:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the opinion that $150 for one of those is way too much considering some issues and bugs with them, but I am sure many here have no issues or put out with them. And if you get one, many here will help you get it to work somehow.
Actually, this brings up the very reason I think the iSimple is the hands down winner of all of the add-on devices. It's the only one that has user upgradable firmware. With the others, you're just out of luck and forced to replace the unit to get new features or bug fixes. The sound quality of the iSimple is also far superior to that of the latest and previous USA Spec.

To your point of aftermarket upgrade, you have to be careful just saying it's just $150 for an aftermarket receiver that can do it all. Few aftermarket receivers offer full support for all iPod and iPhone models. Many don't allow for "passenger" control which is important for those with iPhones that want the ability to use Pandora or Slacker Radio. This is something you are able to do with the iSimple.

After saying all of this, I do in fact plan on upgrading to a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD when it's released but it's obviously far above $150. However, Pioneer units seem to be among the most flexible with iPod/iPhone compatibility.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys

Thanks for the great responses so far.... as far as install an aftermarket reciever i was trying to keep the interior/ head unit stock as much as possible... other wise a new head unit would be hands down a much better deal... i still have some thinking to do for it.. im leaning towards the screw stock look and just get a new head unit.... what do you think?

Having choices suck! lol

-Hanley:act035:

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Actually, this brings up the very reason I think the iSimple is the hands down winner of all of the add-on devices. It's the only one that has user upgradable firmware. With the others, you're just out of luck and forced to replace the unit to get new features or bug fixes. The sound quality of the iSimple is also far superior to that of the latest and previous USA Spec.

To your point of aftermarket upgrade, you have to be careful just saying it's just $150 for an aftermarket receiver that can do it all. Few aftermarket receivers offer full support for all iPod and iPhone models. Many don't allow for "passenger" control which is important for those with iPhones that want the ability to use Pandora or Slacker Radio. This is something you are able to do with the iSimple.

After saying all of this, I do in fact plan on upgrading to a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD when it's released but it's obviously far above $150. However, Pioneer units seem to be among the most flexible with iPod/iPhone compatibility.
I agree $150.00 not enough for decent HU maybe a gray market vendor or Ebay but you would have to add an extra cable or install kits, the blue tooth and other extras are just options to have extra features that will cost extra.

It's good to know you know about both brands and can recommend the better choice for all those reasons you mentioned. And good to know you like Pioneer, I am still undecided between Kenwood and Pioneer.

And I also agree with manley hanley it sucks to have a few choices and not knowing what to choose. But that is the great thing about this forum to have good views and opinions to help us make the choice that may be better for us and also get technical knowledge here from many experienced individuals in many areas that are willing to help and educate us with very fast replies also. This why I like this club/forum quite a bit. :cheerleader:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See im not to concerenced about the price i mean a decent head unit is about 200 bucks and has a ton of features... but to pay 150 for just an aux input for my ipod seems like its a better deal to go with a head unit..... my main conern is just keeping the the truck stock... my old man has always told me to keep things stock since my first car... but like i said earlier im def leaing towards a new head unit... just seems liek it would be more worth the money.... and i coulnt agree more this site and forums have been tons of help

-Hanley:act035:

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
I agree, a ton of options with a new head unit, I think now you have to decide if you want a single din or double din, single you will have a plastic hole pocket for storage below, may not match the trim (black) double will look like the original. If you buy from Crutchfield and you want to take a shot at doing it yourself they would be great with tech support and help you and you can always return it for any reason.

Now if you want an unit with DVD and Navigation if money is not an issue, that is in the 800-1200 range but you get a really nice System with extras.

If you are going to have a pro do it, go to a local reputable shop, Best Buy would do but many here are not such big fans of them. A good local experienced shop in your area while getting a deal may be the way to go.

Try to search for some installs here of how it looks, hofffam has a pic of a single din to get an idea. Shovelhd has a nice thread also with a Kenwood Navi, DVD and the whole thing, there many other good ones to see here.

You can save the old unit and put it back in and save the original wires, when you sell the truck if you want to sell it stock like your Dad said. Don't be afraid to go for it, it will work the way it should if done properly with no issues, no cutting no damage to anything, they give a wiring kit and it is pretty much plug and play man.

I

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.