Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the archives and still can't find the answer to these two questions posed to me by my SigOther:

1. Where is the sensor for the Outside Air Temp located?

2. What are these vortex generators (triangular dimples) on the top of the outside mirrors for? Noise reduction (HIGHLY unlikely) or to slow the accumlation of ice?

Inquiring Minds want to know.

::::

Ah-HA! It's a Goldwing Pickup Truck!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
W7LV said:
I have searched the archives and still can't find the answer to these two questions posed to me by my SigOther:

1. Where is the sensor for the Outside Air Temp located?

2. What are these vortex generators (triangular dimples) on the top of the outside mirrors for? Noise reduction (HIGHLY unlikely) or to slow the accumlation of ice?

Inquiring Minds want to know.

::::

Ah-HA! It's a Goldwing Pickup Truck!!!!
1. The sensor for the Outside Air Temp is located behind the plastic bumper cover.
2. Triangular dimples on top of the mirrors are for wind noise reduction.

Believe it or not.

·
Registered
62 Posts
5S Dude said:
1. The sensor for the Outside Air Temp is located behind the plastic bumper cover.
2. Triangular dimples on top of the mirrors are for wind noise reduction.

Believe it or not.
Absolutely right. The same vortex appears when the moon roof is opened (RTL with SR)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to one and all. My SigOther asked these things of me. After explaining that Triangular Dimples are vortex generators and assuming that they were not to kill the lift created by the mirrors (but, ya never know with Honda) nor to keep the bug hits down, a la Burt Rutan on VOYAGER, that only left Noise Abatement and Ice Accumulation Reduction.

Now I know.

STILL giving demonstrations of the trunk, the dual-swing tailgate and the transverse engine every time I visit Harbor Freight, NAPA or Home Depot. I feel like a missionary.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lingered_I said:
I think that you should volunteer to drive around with some "Blue Angel like" smoke cans on the mirrors so that we can all learn what shape the vortex is? My vote is for flat rather than spiral. Now that would wow the folks when you show up at Napa. :D
Ah, great idea, except...around here, Blue Angels is a cuss word. The Las Vegas Valley (and Nellis AFB) is the home of the THUNDERBIRDS!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lingered_I said:
I think that you should volunteer to drive around with some "Blue Angel like" smoke cans on the mirrors so that we can all learn what shape the vortex is? My vote is for flat rather than spiral. Now that would wow the folks when you show up at Napa. :D
Thinking about it a bit more (after being a smartass), and looking at the mirrors, I'd bet that without these vortex generators there'd be a serious burble just aft of the mirrors - maybe 3" back from the glass - about the size of an orange that would be significantly noisy above 50 MPH and real close to Driver's and Passenger's ears.

I did like my Ice Accumulation hypothesis better, though...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lingered_I said:
Ha ha - my first instinct was to say "Red Arrows" as I'm a Brit.
Saw Red Arrows at RAF Lakenheath (might have been Farnborough Air Show, too) many years ago. Very smooth and elegant, versus a T-Birds or Blue Angels "Yank and Bank" show.

Neither US team has been as much fun to watch since they got away, many years ago, from the F-4 Phantom II. Though not the most Elegant airshows, they were certainly the LOUDEST airshows in the world!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts