Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
I was gonna say Hell Freezes Over, but the Eagles did tour again, didn’t they?

I don’t see any market for a high-performance truck from Honda, much as some people would like one.

That said, what I would like to see if I were in charge (thank goodness I’m not LOL) is a turboed performance version AND a legit lifted offroad version.

I’d have the following trims: Base, Sport (with turbo), Off-road, and Limited (with upscale appointments). I have never understood car manufacturers calling the base model a “Sport”. IMO a “Sport” should have some performance upgrade over the base model.

Another way to go would be like Volvo with a turbo AND electric assist motor on their highest performance trim (T6).

·
Registered
131 Posts
how about making the ridgeline capable to towing 6500 to 7000 pounds? I don't need or want rock crawler capabilities, but I really NEED is the ability to tow a camper that has a dry weight of 4500 to 5500 pounds. The Nissan Frontier does it, as does the Ford Ranger.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS AWD, White Diamond Pearl
125 Posts
how about making the ridgeline capable to towing 6500 to 7000 pounds? I don't need or want rock crawler capabilities, but I really NEED is the ability to tow a camper that has a dry weight of 4500 to 5500 pounds. The Nissan Frontier does it, as does the Ford Ranger.
There are plenty of trucks that tow 6500 to 7000 pounds. If the Frontier and the Ranger have the towing capability you need, go get one.

From what I read on the forum, very few people tow with the RL. It would likely not benefit Honda to go after such a small segment of the Ridgeline market by increasing tow capacity.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
There are plenty of trucks that tow 6500 to 7000 pounds. If the Frontier and the Ranger have the towing capability you need, go get one.

From what I read on the forum, very few people tow with the RL. It would likely not benefit Honda to go after such a small segment of the Ridgeline market by increasing tow capacity.
I know a few RL owners who own 4500-5500Lb+ trailers. They pay someone to haul them up to their seasonal spot in the spring and then back to their storage spot in the fall....lol

I work with a guy who bought a 3500 that he brags about how great a truck it is for towing. He only runs it 2-4 times a year to haul his trailer. Some people have more money than brains!

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
1,154 Posts
All Ridgelines seem to get is leftover pieces from other vehicles in Honda's lineup. The Canadian versions are better equipped than ours, why?

·
Registered
596 Posts
All Ridgelines seem to get is leftover pieces from other vehicles in Honda's lineup. The Canadian versions are better equipped than ours, why?
Because us Canadians pay more. $63k out the door for the zero option touring I just bought.

I think the turbo 2.0L with electric assist is the ticket.

• Wow
Reactions: DOC7769 and CNC1

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
You paid too much.

Reactions: lbjgh

·
Registered
596 Posts
Reactions: Jimaa66

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
So then you're talking taxes in then. Got it. I've seen dealers in Ontario listing them for near that before taxes. I paid MSRP for my BE, which was in the 56k area.
And that trade in value- hard not to move with numbers like that.

Reactions: lbjgh

·
Registered
866 Posts
I think Honda should do what they do best. That's not making offroad or towing trucks. They need to make a sport truck that has no equal. Take the Ridgeline, drop in a hot engine, give it the SH-AWD, lower it, put on an electronic controlled suspension. They'd sell all they could make provided they didn't jack the price up so high no one could afford it.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
1,154 Posts
^+1, in order to tow more, you have to weigh more. A Sport model would be more practical, and easier to make. Obviously, Honda isn't into off road, except for their one-off Baja trucks which have nothing in common with ours in terms of construction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
New 2022 RTL-E owner, with about 2000 miles on it. I love this truck. Honestly, the only thing I really want to see is possibly an AWD hybrid version. The payload and tow weight is perfect for my needs. I would like slightly better gas mileage, especially with prices right now.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,819 Posts
When can we get the 3.0-liter turbocharged V-6 from the Acura mdx type s , on a Ridgeline? and call it a Type R?
The Type-S more than just an engine swap bud. At best, after the swap, you would call it an engine swapped Ridgeline. It is a sight to see, but for the average folks on here, that aint happening.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think Honda should do what they do best. That's not making offroad or towing trucks. They need to make a sport truck that has no equal. Take the Ridgeline, drop in a hot engine, give it the SH-AWD, lower it, put on an electronic controlled suspension. They'd sell all they could make provided they didn't jack the price up so high no one could afford it.
Do able…….at $20k price increase……RTLE “Sport“ @ say $66k ????

·
Registered
866 Posts
Do able…….at $20k price increase……RTLE “Sport“ @ say $66k ????
Much of that would be profit. They already have the engine. They already have the SH-AWD system. They already have the suspension. No massive R&D effort. It would be a parts bin special like the legendary GMC Syclone was. The Syclone got it's AWD system from a minivan. The engine was the standard 4.3L with a turbo bolted on. The transmission was from a Corvette.

Sure, it would cost more. But there would be ZERO competition. And it would still be every bit as practical and capable as the current Ridgeline.

·
Registered
22 Ridgeline Touring
148 Posts
Yeah, and didn't they sell like uhmm...
Production1991 - 2,995 produced
1992 - 3 produced

Nope, doubt that'll happen with Honda.
While I would love a modern day Cyclone/Typhoon, yeah, in this days of people winging about gas prices and crap, I doubt it would sell to anyone but us connoisseurs of automotive brilliance. I mean look at the Toyobaru BR86, light, cheap, rwd car with decent amount of power, something every enthusiast group was saying they wanted since the 240SX went out of production...its selling like bucket of lukewarm manure. Us enthusiast types don't like breaking out our wallets at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts