Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having my windshield replaced I have what sounds like a screw rolling around whenever I accelerate or stop. After taking off the front of the dash the noise is still there. I am exploring the idea that a screw or something was dropped into the defrost vents while the windshield was being swapped. Any idea of how to get to this short of complete disassembly? I was thinking mini vac line but perhaps compressed air? Magnet on a string?

Does anyone have a picture of the air distribution system?

ahhhh

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Magnet on a string isn't a bad idea.

Where do you hear it? The common place to get stuff dropped in there is from the rear console vents (kids putting toys, etc. in there).

Chip H.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Noise is near the interior light switch (door/auto/off) but deeper. I had the front trim off and it wasn't there. Not really any other place for a screw or object to sit. It sounds like a screw rolling around in plastic plumbing. Hopefully it doesn't drop further and jam a mechanism or air door.

My only hope is to drop magnet on string from the defrost vents and perhaps from the middle vent.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Removed upper trim again and did a thorough evaluation. Noise is deep in lower console. Almost 100% sure from within air plumbing. I tried dropping disc drive magnet on string through vent but no dice.

Next step is removing the lower center console and going from there. I may use the disc drive magnet to see it can pin the object in place.
This is assuming the offending object is metal in the first place.

Does anyone have the process to remove the lower front console?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,598 Posts
Could also be piece of the glass from the old windshield if it shattered upon removal. I don't know the removal procedure but if you find out that it is extremely painful you might try using something like a borascope to locate it? You can get USB ones pretty cheaply or you might be able to rent one at the Home Depot etc. Locate the offending object and use flexible tube connected to your shop vac to suck it out (or a magnet if it is metallic.) The scope would be your eyes.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,873 Posts
Update: Removed upper trim again and did a thorough evaluation. Noise is deep in lower console. Almost 100% sure from within air plumbing. I tried dropping disc drive magnet on string through vent but no dice.

Next step is removing the lower center console and going from there. I may use the disc drive magnet to see it can pin the object in place.
This is assuming the offending object is metal in the first place.

Does anyone have the process to remove the lower front console?

Thanks,
Is this what you need?

2009-

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Try placing a rare earth magnet near the base of the ducting behind and at the bottom of the center console stack. Maybe the magnet will attract it and hold it in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts