Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the truck on a 4000 mile, 10 day trip from Illinois to Gulf Shores to far western Iowa and back to Ill. Only complaint? My silver side-steps are losing large chuncks of paint off of them. I've only got 8000 miles on the truck. The things look like S#/+! :eek:

·
Registered
171 Posts
05-10-2005, 09:54 PM
06RTLNAVBlue
Year: 2006
Model: RTL
Color: Steel Blue / Gray Join Date: Mar 2005

Side Steps Corroding (Sorry:STEPS, not "boards")

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally, This post said "running boards". That is not correct, I have the gray Side Steps. Also, sorry no picture available as I need a new camera.

So much for "corrosion resistant finish". I love the gray side steps on the blue truck and hope they can fix the problem someday. I have had the steps installed for 3 months (2,500 miles) and they are now corroding. Each step has a joint at the front and the back were the diff. sections are "butted" together. This is were the corrosion is starting. Both locations on each side of the vehicle are showing signs of rust/corrosion by a very small amount of "black seepage" that runs from between the joint. The gray finish is beginning to "bubble" and become brittle in two of these locations. It is not yet an eyesore (largest bubble is 1/4 inch) but possibly on its way to becoming one in a few months.
The dealer offered to replace them, I just had him document it since I know another set would just do the same thing unless modified. The dealer also had a set installed on a truck that is for sale. These steps are showing signs of the same problem. This truck has been on their lot since March (loaded with accessories and nobody wants to pay the price).
I will not get them replaced until I learn they are re-designed or have a better/more complete finish.
It seems like they are corroding from inside the joint were there is either not a good finish or maybe it has rubbed off from friction of the pieces being pushed against eachother. For now, I may paint the damaged area or put some kind of sealant into the crack.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
171 Posts
Jimmijo, The more complaints the better. Show all these posts to Honda, maybe the problem will get fixed someday...........I like the steps and hope they fix the problem rather than discontinue the steps.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Take your vehicle to the dealership. I heard Honda is aware of the problem and is working with the vendor that manufactured the side steps to correct the problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I purchased my RT/L, March 18th and in late April, noticed the corrison as has been stated, same place. In May the powder coating began to chip off! I contacted my Honda Service mgr. and he ordered a "new set" for me. Last week I noticed the same thing happening again! I contacted Honda hdqts. this time and got a "Case number", and was told a Case worker would contact me. I called Honda hdqts. again since I did not get a call. The party transferred me to the Case worker's Voice mail! I am still waiting for he or she to return my call. I also called my Honda Service mgr. again and explained that the same thing was happening again. He advised he had not seen any "recall" on the Side steps! I explained that I am bringing my truck back as soon as my first oil change is due, and "I want another NEW set of steps". Someone needs to contact the mfg. of these Side steps and get it corrected. I only have 3,000 miles on my truck, and at this rate, Honda will be replacing my Side steps several? times. Can anyone help? Maybe Gary Flint could get the ball rolling!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts