Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came out to my truck at the gym last night and when I started it, it jumped forward a little bit. It felt like something had stuck a bit in the trans...anyone else have something like this? Also, one time when I passed it would not shift back up to 5th...it took about 15 seconds...The trans seems a little funky. It seems like all these little things only happen once.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ick. Keep us posted -- I'll try to keep an eye out for issues as well (as I'm sure everyone will!).

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thanks guys....It may be one of those one-time things...like my NAVI freezing..just once. I'm going to the dealer for an oil change this week, I'll have them take a look.

I was hoping somebody witha little more mechanical knowledge could give me there opinion on if this is even a possible scenario..

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
maybearidge said:
I came out to my truck at the gym last night and when I started it, it jumped forward a little bit. It felt like something had stuck a bit in the trans...anyone else have something like this? Also, one time when I passed it would not shift back up to 5th...it took about 15 seconds...The trans seems a little funky. It seems like all these little things only happen once.
The part about not shifting back up to 5th after passing, happened to me last weekend. I don't think lasted 15 seconds, but it was long enough for me to noticed that something was not right. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
wow, this thread MADE me register. This delay is Honda's Grade logic working! It waits a bit to upshift when it senses you are travling uphill. It isn't a perfect system, but if you drove a honda automatic before this you would know exactly what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've experienced a hesitation too, when going up hill. I think your right, pat2k8.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been watching for a post like this, I had a problem with mine but it only happened twice and I didn't want to start a big slagging/negative thread if it was a fluke or freak incident on my truck only.

Description:
My truck makes a significant lurch forward instantly after engaging starter and firing engine, I'll list the exact conditions in detail in case someone can explain this to me. I can duplicate this often but not as severe everytime and I'm not sure if its a problem or not..??

- Truck parked inside garage on nearly level floor, it might be slightly uphill as the truck just rests against the rear park lock. (not sure whats you call this)

- Temp 5-10'C, open drivers door and started truck by reaching inside. I did not climb in, this is important, as I have only noticed this while doing it this way. First time I noticed this it felt like the truck was trying to take off, it moved ahead and bounced of the park lock mechanism.

- It appears like it only happens if I start the engine without getting into the truck, I'm a big guy (260lbs), so getting in does move the truck around a bit.

As far as holding a gear or not shifting into 5th, I feel like the grade logic of this tranny will hold a gear for a long time if your on any kind of incline or have even a minimal load (intake vacume) on the motor. Mine seems sensitive to this but is ok IMO.

I would like to know if anyone else can replicate the same thing......find a level parking space and let me know.....??

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
gormleyflyer2002 said:
My truck makes a significant lurch forward instantly after engaging starter and firing engine
Mine has done that a couple of times too, when I didn't have the parking brake on, but I usually have my foot on the brake pedal now as space in my garage is so tight that a lurch forward of a couple of inches puts me in a wall. I think that in reality it didn't move but just rocked forward and then back a little. Definitely something in the transmission not disengaging.

I wonder if turning the ignition off before putting the truck in park can cause this?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have noticed a problem with the transmission not wanting to shift into 5th gear. It only happened once, but I was on the interstate, and the truck just din't want to go into 5th gear, regardless of if I sped up or slowed down. I think I even had the revs up to nearly 5k, and still no upshift. It eventually shifted, and I haven't had any issues since.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Grade Logic will not cause your vehicle to jump forward a bit.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm not very savvy when it comes to car mechanics, but I always engage the parking brake before I put the Ridge in Park. When starting out, I put my foot on the brake, start the engine, disengage the parking brake and then put the Ridge in gear. I haven't experienced any problems when I do this.

I read somewhere that by putting the parking brake on first (on any vehicle) will take pressure off the transmission. I don't know if this is true or not, but I do it anyway.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I read somewhere that by putting the parking brake on first (on any vehicle) will take pressure off the transmission.
It takes the pressure off the pawl (the device that prevents it from being shifted out of Park unless you pull up on the shift lever) when you put the transmission in Park. If you have ever parked on a steep incline without putting the parking brake on and then had difficulty putting it in Drive, you know what I mean. I don't necessarily use the parking brake on level ground, but I always use it on a slope, which around here is most of the time.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Webwader said:
It takes the pressure off the pawl (the device that prevents it from being shifted out of Park unless you pull up on the shift lever) when you put the transmission in Park. If you have ever parked on a steep incline without putting the parking brake on and then had difficulty putting it in Drive, you know what I mean. I don't necessarily use the parking brake on level ground, but I always use it on a slope, which around here is most of the time.
Thank's for the explanation, Webwader. You're right about parking on a steep incline, but the habit of putting on the emergency brake has become so ingrained I engage it no matter where I am parked :).

·
Registered
41 Posts
WhiteRTLnav said:
I have noticed a problem with the transmission not wanting to shift into 5th gear. It only happened once, but I was on the interstate, and the truck just din't want to go into 5th gear, regardless of if I sped up or slowed down. I think I even had the revs up to nearly 5k, and still no upshift. It eventually shifted, and I haven't had any issues since.
Eric, I had the same thing happen once, at about 1,500 miles. On a fairly level interstate, accelerating to about 70 mph, the trans just wanted to stay in 3rd gear. The problem resolved in a half mile or so and never returned.

I later guessed that it might have happened because I had the cruise on and set at a lower speed. I believe the Ridgeline cruise control will downshift to slow the vehicle on downgrades. By driving faster than the set speed, I may have made the system downshift to control my speed. Any other theories?

Bob in Nashville

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
mcneon said:
I later guessed that it might have happened because I had the cruise on and set at a lower speed. I believe the Ridgeline cruise control will downshift to slow the vehicle on downgrades. By driving faster than the set speed, I may have made the system downshift to control my speed. Any other theories?

Bob in Nashville
Bob, The RL will downshift to control your speed, but I've never had it downshift to control my speed when I increase speed via the throttle. It has only done this when going downhill and the speed increased on its own by 5 mph.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts