Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Ultragauge EM came yesterday. Very interesting device. Sadly, it won't coexist with the existing Garmin ecoRouteHD device. Or rather, the ecoRoute HD won't coexist with the UG.

With both devices connected to my OBDII cable splitter, The UG takes precedence and the ecoRoute HD will not connect. If I have the UG disconnected and the ecoRoute HD connected and operational, on connection of the UG the two devices alternate trying to connect and I get intermittent ecoRoute HD data and comm lost/restarting from the UG.

I bought the UG primarily to use with the wife's Pilot since I have no other means to check and reset the CEL should it ever occur (short of dismounting the ecoRoute HD and moving it over... which would be somewhat of a PITA). Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. ;)

But I'm liking all the info the UG presents so I will likely keep it on the RL and move it temporarily to the Pilot should I need to diagnose an issue. ;)

Meanwhile, I'm just getting familiar with the UG-EM.

The UG found protocol 9141 on the RL (I expected it to find 11 bit CAN or 29 bit CAN).
UG found 39/85 gauges. I have some work to do to sort all this out!

I'll post more here as I see fit.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I still have no idea what that is, or does, even after reading your whole post!!!!! :act002:

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
I still have no idea what that is, or does, even after reading your whole post!!!!! :act002:
:D

I only understood about half of it, because it covers 2 or 3 different topics. But have to admit, speedlever did a great job (as usual) of explaining it anyway. Go figure!

"I'll post more here as I see fit." Ya think?

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my. Sounds like the operation was a success but the patient died!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just watched the video on their website. Uncanny similarity to the honey badger narrator...:act006:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Speedlever,

How do you like the look of the product. Size-wise, is it something that can mount near the instrument cluster (since routing cable to OBDII would be least intrusive there)? Is the unit heavy? Does it look cheap or well constructed. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ultra-gauge EM:

ecoRoute HD bluetooth device:

sample output of ecoRoute HD as shown on GPS display:

Both the UG and the ecoRoute HD device connect to the OBDII data stream via my OBDII cable splitter:

The OBDII data port is found under the dash by your right knee.

I would like to get both devices to operate at the same time. I don't know how to do that. With both connected, only the UG will function normally at start up. I don't know if that's because of the OBDII protocol the UG discovered (9141) or if the data stream simply cannot support two such devices.

If I connect the UG after the ecoRoute HD is connected and functioning, the two devices seem to battle for data with neither providing any useful info.

I've had the ecoRoute HD connected leaving a spare port (via the cable splitter) and the last time the RL went in for inspection, the tech said he had no trouble pulling the data. So I was hopeful that I could run both of these devices at the same time too. The UG provides much more data than the ecoRoute HD provides.

Is that better? :D

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Speedlever,

How do you like the look of the product. Size-wise, is it something that can mount near the instrument cluster (since routing cable to OBDII would be least intrusive there)? Is the unit heavy? Does it look cheap or well constructed. Thanks in advance.
I haven't had it 24 hours yet, so take this for what it's worth.

The unit appears to be well constructed. The rebate/start up routine has you jump through some hoops largely to educate the user as to potential hazards associated with mounting issues. The typical sort of thing that someone who doesn't read the manual before installing might run into... and if there's breakage, it won't be covered under warranty .... kind of thing.

Hopefully the pics above give an idea of the device. Check Google Images for more pics of the Ultra-gauge EM and you will get a better idea how the size compares. Someone has apparently put their calipers to the device:

The display is wonderful and fully configurable. That's up next on my to-do list. Control buttons are on the rear, so that might affect mounting options. Right now I'm using the windshield mount, but in general, I'm not crazy about them

The cable is fixed and not removable. Which likely removes a customer service issue.

I just need to take some time and configure this thing.

Here's a pic I found that puts the UG next to a SG for size purposes.

And another perspective:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
This is just a guess but I think the OBD2 port is read/write capable, hence the ability to erase a "check engine" warning. It follows that it can only communicate to one device at a time.

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That could well be the case. Still, I was able to run the ecoRoute HD and the shop could pull the data they needed for the inspection from the spare port, so I was hopeful. ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And surprisingly, I just found out that the rebate info I submitted last night (which I screwed up initially and had to resubmit)... has already resulted in a paypal credit back on my card.

Quickest rebate I've ever encountered!

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
I've considered this one. I like it, especially for the price. My only complaint is that the cable does not detach from the unit. It would give you some more mounting options and ease installation if you could thread the cable first.
But it is compact and should work well in most locations.

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is just a guess but I think the OBD2 port is read/write capable, hence the ability to erase a "check engine" warning. It follows that it can only communicate to one device at a time.
Word from the UG folks is that this is a limitation of the 9141 protocol which was supposedly laid to rest in 2007. Not sure how my 2008 RL came up with this protocol. Must be lucky, I guess.

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here's the info on why I'm only picking up the 9141 protocol. That's all my 2008 RL is wired for. I have a bone to pick with Honda since according to what I read, all 2008 and newer vehicles are supposed to support CAN protocols.

http://pinoutsguide.com/CarElectronics/car_obd2_pinout.shtml

From here:

ISO 15765 CAN (250 kBit/s or 500 kBit/s). The CAN protocol was developed by Bosch for automotive and industrial control. Unlike other OBD protocols, variants are widely use outside of the automotive industry. While it did not meet the OBD-II requirements for U.S. vehicles prior to 2003, as of 2008 all vehicles sold in the US are required to implement CAN as one of their signaling protocols.

pin 6: CAN High
pin 14: CAN Low

And from here:

My OBDII port does not have connectors for pin 6 and cannot support CAN bus protocols.

You can clearly see that my OBDII port has pins for 4,5,7 and 9,12,14, and 16.

Per the pinout spec above, my OBDII port is not wired for the CAN bus.

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I truly don't know what additional gauges (if any) would be supported by CAN protocols. I do know that 9141 won't support multiple devices on the port at one time. But CAN should allow that. I have both the ecoRoute HD device connected to the port (via splitter) and the UG.

Moreover, the CAN protocols are significantly faster than the older 9141 and support much faster data refresh than does 9141.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts