Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
****ty News,

Sitting at a red light and some phoneface bimbo rear ended me :(.

The truck fared very well to be honest. She never hit the brakes and was going around 15-25mph when she hit us. Her airbags went off and crunched her infinity pretty good, and we bumped the car in front of us.
We drove away with no airbag deployment but the bed was tweaked (see upper right gap at tailgate) and the bed to cab gap had changed :(

Dropped it off at the body shop who happens to be honda certified. Estimate is around 5k to straighten on a table and fix.

Who can tell me about diminished value? I'm sure insurance will report this to Carfax....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
grrr...can you sue for heart break also? Sorry to hear this, I say phoneface should do 6 months in jail. NOT joking.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt - sorry the same can't be said about your RL. People just don't get the fact that driving a 3k lb+ car without paying attention is little different than brandishing a weapon and it can be just as devastating. Anyone found guilty of causing an accident while on the phone or texting should automatically lose their license and be forced to pay damages for diminished value out of their own pocket. The only reason I'm against jail time is because we'd get stuck supporting their sorry @$$ for the duration. Hope your pride & joy is back on its wheels soon!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well, first off... this sucks and sorry you fell victim to that idiot behind you. Second, it's now illegal in CA to drive w/o a hands-free device, as of Jan 1, 2017. That being said, CA got really "tough" by making it a $20 fine for your first offense and $50 for every one after that. Are you kidding me?!?! Cali is tougher on guns and more people die from car accidents than guns in that back-ass-wards state!!!

GMAFB!!!!

The low down on California's newest cell phone law | ABC10.com

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
That being said, CA got really "tough" by making it a $20 fine for your first offense and $50 for every one after that. Are you kidding me?!?! Cali is tougher on guns and more people die from car accidents than guns in that back-ass-wards state!!!
That's it! I thought $124 in WA state was a light fine for using your phone...

·
Registered
6 Posts
You may want to ask her insurance company to compensate you for the loss of value of your Ridgeline which will probably be several thousand dollars.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt
You need a Super Bumper
Rubber mounted with big rubber donuts to absorb impact.. plus it looks nice. And you can use it as a step.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Sue Infinity. They probably never told her she could hurt or kill somebody or do damage, by not paying attention.and driving.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That's it! I thought $124 in WA state was a light fine for using your phone...
It's a little tougher here. You can't touch hold or manipulate your phone while driving or stopped at a light. $280.00 fine on first offense. $560.00 fine on the second offense plus the vehicle is impounded for seven days, regardless of who it belongs to. Third and subsequent offense, you must go before a judge and your vehicle is impounded until the judge releases it. Probationary drivers (first two years) cannot use hands free either.

There is even a move afoot to marry it with drunk driving laws, making it a criminal offense. I agree with the moves to make this such a serious offense sit people just don't seem to learn, but I do consider it a bit of a joke that they concentrate so much on phones, but that screen in the middle of the dash is just fine.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The problem is not that they don't see you it's the fact that they aren't looking freaking forward.

KWC-HondaNoob is that led light metal backed or double-stick tape? I have had a few in the past and they just don't last. I'm still looking for good one. When it blinks is it sequential or one whole side at once.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I agree that there need to be more penalties. OTOH, an a-hole is an a-hole and apparently they just ignore the laws:

HLDI study: Texting bans don't reduce crashes

Maybe well publicized truly heavy penalties:

https://bikeportland.org/2016/12/16...ng-penalties-on-par-with-drunk-driving-209757

And apparently you need to avoid Louisiana and Vermont, if it is that bad in Oregon (and it is), how bad must it be in those states!

https://bikeportland.org/2017/04/18...rivers-are-least-distracted-in-america-225536

Personally, I think the only solution is a tech one that will turn off all phones in all cars w/o a hands free system:

Three elements:

1) All cell phones must have a system that talks to the vehicle

2) All vehicles must have a system that talks to cell phones

3) The system would disable all phone functions that are not handled by the hands free system when within a few feet of the car. (except maybe 911 calls).

Would take awhile to get into large percent of vehicles but the sooner it starts, the quicker it helps.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Three elements:

1) All cell phones must have a system that talks to the vehicle

2) All vehicles must have a system that talks to cell phones

3) The system would disable all phone functions that are not handled by the hands free system when within a few feet of the car. (except maybe 911 calls).

Would take awhile to get into large percent of vehicles but the sooner it starts, the quicker it helps.
with
4) Does not interfere with the cell phones of passengers in the car, only the drivers.

·
Registered
970 Posts
with
4) Does not interfere with the cell phones of passengers in the car, only the drivers.
I would point out that using a phone in a car IS NOT, at ANY time, a necessity except for 911
(already dealt with in my suggestion). Which is more important, letting passengers use their phone or keeping them
alive? Making an technology based exception for passengers would be close to impossible to do.

Cars did not have phone for almost a century and we lived thru it, something that cannot be said
for many of the victims of these distracted drivers.

If the passenger wants to make a call, then they can connect THEIR phone to the hands free
or just plain stop and get out of the car!

Laziness is not an excuse for putting others in danger.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I would point out that using a phone in a car IS NOT, at ANY time, a necessity except for 911
(already dealt with in my suggestion). Which is more important, letting passengers use their phone or keeping them
alive? Making an technology based exception for passengers would be close to impossible to do.

Cars did not have phone for almost a century and we lived thru it, something that cannot be said
for many of the victims of these distracted drivers.

If the passenger wants to make a call, then they can connect THEIR phone to the hands free
or just plain stop and get out of the car!

Laziness is not an excuse for putting others in danger.
It is the responsibility of the driver to drive. People need to take responsibility for not texting and driving as much as people need to not drink/get high and get behind the wheel. Perhaps like repeat drunk drivers who have to blow into a key fob in order to start their cars, the driver must put their phone in a similar accessory? It would not be impossible, but it would take time.

For the most part, the people on the roads I see with phones in their hands have no passengers. A passenger can check traffic ahead, change radio stations, make calls, or work from their seat while in transit. People doing the daily commute in and out of the city are sitting in their cars 2-3 hours a day if not more, and that is often in the carpool lane.

Things like DUI's still happen and that has been illegal for a long time, prohibition didn't work, and for some reason the bars and smoke shops are all along major highways/roadways that people need to drive to. Those choices make no sense either and people die from those choices.

If we go the route of no phones in cars, we may consider removing the fancy infotainment systems in the cars of today so drivers are not distracted searching for songs or punching things into their in dash GPS either. I mean, we didn't have phones for as long, why even have the entertainment systems then. All serve as distractions.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I am against gines that claim to enforce laws that do nothing to encourage safety when all they do is raise revenue. which are MOST laws. And I am against laws that are for things that people, ADULTS, should already be responsible enough to know NOT to do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts