Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed tonneau cover with internal bed rails. Although some bed truck access is lost, I still very much love my new tonneau cover (Retrax PronMX). However with the tonneau cover completely closed I lose the bed wall lighting to see in the trunk at night. With the tonneau cover pulled back, I still lose some partial bed wall lighting.

I have settled on a light for the bed trunk. I will keep it real simple and install two 3/4" LED eye lights (60 lumens each) on opposite sides of the trunk.

Here is where I need help. The bed wall lights turns on when you access the under bed trunk, so I would like to wire the new 3/4" LED eye lights to these bed wall lights. My question, how might I obtain access to this electrical wire? Thank you for any suggestions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Attempt to change the bed lights' bulbs and you'll quickly find out how the whole housing comes out. You can access the wires very easily.

Now...running new wires into the trunk...that's a whole different can of worms.

Installed tonneau cover with internal bed rails. Although some bed truck access is lost, I still very much love my new tonneau cover (Retrax PronMX). However with the tonneau cover completely closed I lose the bed wall lighting to see in the trunk at night. With the tonneau cover pulled back, I still lose some partial bed wall lighting.

I have settled on a light for the bed trunk. I will keep it real simple and install two 3/4" LED eye lights (60 lumens each) on opposite sides of the trunk.

Here is where I need help. The bed wall lights turns on when you access the under bed trunk, so I would like to wire the new 3/4" LED eye lights to these bed wall lights. My question, how might I obtain access to this electrical wire? Thank you for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Just mount the lights on the bed walls, in the rear corners, shining down and forward. You might need brighter lights, though. I would prefer dimmable.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts

No need to use wired lights just Bed Bath & Beyond or other retailer and buy a Click N Stick LED light strip 2pack $10 mount stick them were you want. When we purchased the 2007 Ridgeline new had Tonneau Cover on. I purchased the click and stick single lights and stuck 2 of them inside the trunk. They have the light strip now with 2 or 3 led bulbs per strip. I have two single Click & Sticks under counter. About 9yrs ago they were putting in a lot of new shopping places and building new condos everywhere. I think it was to much for the area and we started to have power outages anytime. So I had some extra Click & Sticks and mounted along wall under kitchen counter for light if power went out. They are still up there. See if the strips will work for you instead of wiring anything you just press them to turn on.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
I bought one of these lights for my locking mailbox at the street, there are no street lights and reaching into a dark mailbox and feeling around for my mail is a little unnerving.
https://www.amazon.com/Architectura...id=1483675145&sr=8-3&keywords=Locking+mailbox

I stuck the light inside the box with industrial Velcro, it's very bright and the batteries last about a year. Now they are selling them in two-packs for about what I paid for one light. I will definitely get a pair and put one in my trunk.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beams-MB7...1483675024&sr=8-10&keywords=Mr+Beam+led+light

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the lighting suggestions for the underbed trunk. For a stop-gap, I placed one Stick n Click battery operated LED light (the five LED light bar) on the side of the trunk. It works very well.

However, I may decide to install a Maxxima (MWL-33)12v 6"x2" 1/2 amp 400 lumen light inside the trunk tied to the in-bed sidewall cargo bay lights.

Nothing wrong with the Stick n Click, I just prefer accessories that are wired and work automatically as you need them.

http://www.maxxima.com/products/pro...-400-Lumen-Scene-Load-Light.html#.WG8c4IE77YW

I won't be installing the 12v light for a while, probably a month or two down the road.

I think that between undoing the in-bed sidewall light and removing the plastic rear tire wheel shield, I should gain access to the lights, wiring, and trunk.

I will probably drill just one small hole in the trunk for the wiring, and hang light with 3M adhesive tape. If all goes well, no problem with the trunk light, I may then permanently install the light with four 5/32" screw holes.

That is my idea for gaining light at night while accessing the under bed trunk with the tonneau cover completely closed.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts