Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the way my truck drives but I wish it wouldn't understeer so much at the limit. Has anybody ever added a bigger rear sway or done anything to the rear spring rates Or, change the alignment to make it a more neutral handling vehicle.

For the record I think every passenger car is set to understeer at the limit becuase its safest for people that have no skill.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
LOL, it's a truck.

Try wider tires on the front :)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I agree. And for a truck it handles quite well as it is, especially relative to other trucks.

Might try a "little more" negative front camber but this will probably cause strange tire wear.

I would think playing with sway bars would help some but I'm wondering if anyone makes an aftermarket unit. Might be a custom design...I would read that as expensive.

Might try lowering the truck, but not a good idea if it is used to go off road or haul heavy loads. This will change the steering geometry and camber as well so some tuning will be needed.

Bigger tires would help but remember the truck has a much higher center of gravity than a car...wouldn't want to roll the thing by getting too frisky.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you played with tire pressures yet? When running around unloaded, I run ~36/32psi F/R. Dials back a bit of the understeer and improves front turn in. Costs nothing. With a heavy load, I'd bring the rear pressure up even with the front.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I sure think mine is "set up" to out preform every straight axle pickup out there and especially those that are lifted. I call them straight line pickups. I just love the way the Ridge can pass almost any pickup out there on a 4 lane curvy road.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
I just love the way the Ridge can pass almost any pickup out there on a 4 lane curvy road.
Agree 100%! Just this morning I got on an exit ramp to go from one highway to another and there was an older, lifted Ford pickup who also exited and drove right up on my on my tail. I was going about 40 and could see that there was no traffic coming on the highway I was merging on to, so I punched it 1/2 way through the turn on the ramp. By the time I had merged onto the highway I was going 65 and the Ford was at least 5 car lengths behind and seemed to have his hands full trying to keep up. :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've had many SUV's & Trucks in my day.
My RL is the most agile of them all by far.
Maybe inspect bushings, struts or other suspension components for wear.
Proper tires for current road conditions and driving habits is a large factor I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts