Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my 2019 RTL-E, and it's the first new car I've ever had, so I definitely have some "new father" emotions. My dealership has what I am thinking is a good deal, but I don't have much experience in this, so maybe you guys can help give some counsel. (FYI it's Klein Honda in Everett, WA. This dealership doesn't work on commission, and I genuinely like them and they have been good to me over the years.)

Here is what is included in this monthly cost, which must be activated within 5 days of purchase to get this lower monthly cost. (I'm on day 1):

My context: I don't know how often these types of services are needed. We will probably put on up to 10K miles per year for the foreseeable future. The part that has me most interested is the yearly detailing, as my wife works with gardening.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
You didn't specify which plan the 240/year gets you but if you drive 10k/yr probably not worth it. IMO better toward an extended warranty instead.

Year 1 oil change $50
Year 2 oil change/diff change $150
Year 3 oil change/brake fluid change $150
Year4 oil change/diff change $150
Year 5 oil change/trans fluid change $150
Year 6 oil change/brake fluid change $150
Year 7 oil change/brake/timing belt/coolant/spark plugs $1800?

You would' have to pay 240 time 7 years to have any chance or drive more than 10k per year. Their goal is to get the cash register ringing as soon as possible and hope you sell or total your car before the timing belt comes up. I'd pass on this one.. If you are any bit handy you could do the oil and transmission and diff fluid changes yourself for a small percentage of dealer charges.

However, if this pricing holds for the 9 speed it would be worth consideration.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Will they replace your water pump 1000 miles after they have replaced your timing belt for free. Most of us replace the water pump while they are changing out the timing belt. Many of us also change out camshaft and camshaft seals at the same time. I just don't agree with their schedule. What do I know, I only have 306,000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Here is what is included in this monthly cost, which must be activated within 5 days of purchase to get this lower monthly cost. (I'm on day 1):
Given that the price is "Starting as low as" $19.95/mo, it's only reasonable to assume that's for the "Basic Plan".

Considering the very limited list of services that provides and your stated driving estimate, I'm with @14v6 of the opinion that this is a money-maker for the dealer and a money-loser for you (for the reasons set-out nicely in his reply).

I'd suspect that the (higher unstated) price for upgraded plans would present a similar lack of 'payback' for the consumer.

IMO for maintenance needs, 'pay as you go' per the minder schedule is your best bet for both life-cycle economics and vehicle longevity.

Bottom line, I'd 'pass' on this 'offer'.

·
Registered
825 Posts
If you like having stable, predictable monthly payments enough, and you already said you like that dealer, then this might be worthwhile for you.

On a straight dollar cost comparison, it can’t reasonably be lower cost to you, given your annual mileage, than just paying for the maintenance as it comes due. If you drove 2 or 3 times that many miles per year, then it may also be more economical for you (maybe?).

It’s just a choice. Choose what suits you best.

·
Super Moderator
4,778 Posts
Will they replace your water pump 1000 miles after they have replaced your timing belt for free. Most of us replace the water pump while they are changing out the timing belt. Many of us also change out camshaft and camshaft seals at the same time. I just don't agree with their schedule. What do I know, I only have 306,000 miles on mine.
You make a great point, @feetdry. If you choose to have the water pump, tensioners, and belts replaced also - what extra cost will be incurred? Here are some of the normal parts involved in a timing belt replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to you all, I'll pass on the offer then! I really appreciate the supportiveness of the community. I'm home :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts