Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far Honda hasn't responded with a way to make the Ridgeline unlock all doors when putting in park or turning off the key, so I have spent a little time working on a mod to make this happen. I have two possible solutions:

(1) I have a prototype circuit working that unlocks all doors when the transmission is shifted into park. Fairly easy to install; tap into 4 wires, all in the same wiring harness, accessible by removing a single screw. Thinking I could probably put together a kit with install instructions for like $30 or so, if there is interest in it. (I could continue developing the circuit to unlock with key off if there is interest in that as well.)

(2) Another possible mod would involve removing the door panel and connecting a couple wires and parts there. This mod would unlock all doors whenever the drivers door is unlocked. Parts to do this would be less than $3. I haven't tested it yet, but I don't know any reason it wouldn't work.

Does either mod interest anyone here?

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is my first Honda but I am curious if other Honda's already have this feature to unlock all doors. If so, is it possible they simply did not put the procedure in the owner's manual? Just a thought...

--AJ

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow, that is what I am working on too! Your route is my second choice. I am taking a deeper, more technical approach as it will help me do other hacks if I succeed.

I plan on tapping into the B-CAN buss and reverse engineering the protocol to decode the command given to unlock each door (or all doors) In this way, I could make a simple little device that would only require a few low power connections --likely under the hood. No relays.

Of course, I don't know if I will succeed yet as this is a bit more involved than adding a few diodes and relays! I am thinking I will be able to tell the difference between when the Park unlock command comes over the buss, and when the driver is simply hitting the "all unlock" side of the door switch.

Anyway, I can't find ANYTHING that directly documents or pertains exactly to the B-CAN protocol out on the .Net yet. Well hidden secret I guess. I have order a few parts to make a standardized CAN tranceiver node. The service manual only indicates the bit rate. I figure I'll try to snoop the buss and then if successful at that, replay the command/s to unlock the other doors!
It could be feasible to make only the Front doors unlock instead of all too.

Any B-CAN info would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My techique is pretty straight forward... When the transmission goes into Park, send a 1/2 second unlock pulse. A 555 timer, a few transistors, diodes, and other supporting components. All the signals are on the "P" connector (30-pin connector facing the rear of the truck) going into the MICU.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kd4z said:
I plan on tapping into the B-CAN buss and reverse engineering the protocol to decode the command given to unlock each door (or all doors) In this way, I could make a simple little device that would only require a few low power connections --likely under the hood.
If you ever figure out how to talk to the B-CAN buss please let me know. Lots of cool stuff could be done then.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Empyrean said:
This is my first Honda but I am curious if other Honda's already have this feature to unlock all doors. If so, is it possible they simply did not put the procedure in the owner's manual? Just a thought...
It seems like a programming error. If you call and talk to a support tech at Honda, the copy of the owners manual that they have indicates that it is supposed to unlock all doors. The steps to program it to do this are identical to the programming instructions in our manuals for unlocking just the drivers door, so, obviously, it doesn't work. The manuals were changed when they got printed for distribution with the trucks. It doesn't seem to matter anyway, though, because I can't get any of the available options to actually "take" -- the truck confirms it is programmed properly, but then it doesn't behave the way it is supposed to.

·
Registered
146 Posts
djdj said:
My techique is pretty straight forward... When the transmission goes into Park, send a 1/2 second unlock pulse. A 555 timer, a few transistors, diodes, and other supporting components. All the signals are on the "P" connector (30-pin connector facing the rear of the truck) going into the MICU.
Yea, pretty simple. Now adays, I use PIC micros to make timers :) I like the abliity to do more than just count secs. The PIC is the 555 of current decade. You should look into them or start playing with a BasicStamps. I have a PIC doing a little delay on and off chore to keep my hard drive based MP3 player from flashing on/off/on as the ignition key is turned from off to on to start and back to on. It delays for 10 seconds for ON and waits 20 before turning the unit off. It also spits out IR to put the MP3 player in pause before removing power!

·
Registered
616 Posts
milt96 said:
I'm very interested in the door lock mod. I would prefer all doors unlock when put into park.
Me too! Thanks!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
csimo said:
A standard 452T door lock pulse generator module will take care of the problem.
If you don't mind me asking, where do yoiu hook this up? The wires I'm seeing for detecting the park position are actually switched to ground when OUT of Park, not in it. If I'm reading the info for the 452T correctly, this won't work. I can see how it would work for the ignition, but not moving into Park.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Haven't looked at the wiring diagram in that respect. I use the ignition to unlock all the doors. I know another person who uses the parking brake switch. I just want ALL the doors to unlock when I shut off the ignition.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
maybe this was addressed later on, but in my 08 RTL you can program the behavior of the locks to do this. it just doesn't do it by default. it's in the owners manual.

If this wasn't the case on earlier models, my apologies.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
maybe this was addressed later on, but in my 08 RTL you can program the behavior of the locks to do this. it just doesn't do it by default. it's in the owners manual.

If this wasn't the case on earlier models, my apologies.
Not sure about this GeNeRal it may have been a issue for the 2006 models 07 can be programed for Park Unlock. I got rid of this setting I do not like it.
If you go to a bad area & do not your doors to unlock at that time.
I have it set to RPM auto lock only.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,781 Posts
Didn't the early 2006s have issues with the programmable door locks? I seem to recall reading something here about that. I think the dealer has to upgrade a component somewhere in the system to enable that feature (programmable door locks).

Personally, I like it when the driver's door only unlocks, but the family outvoted me and want all their doors to unlock and not wait for me to switch off the ignition. ;)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
The early 2006's that didn't have the feature to unlock all doors in Park feature required a new fuse box, Part# 38200-SJC-A12.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 09's have the feature to unlock all doors with lever in Park. You have to follow instructions in the manual because it is not in the factory default.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The 09's have the feature to unlock all doors with lever in Park. You have to follow instructions in the manual because it is not in the factory default.
My 2008 is set to unlock when I go to park... I was sitting in the VA hospital parking lot waiting for a friend... with nothing to do. So naturally I read the owner's manual.

It took a bit of careful reading... but the "programming" works exactly as described in the owner's manual. And i've left it, preferred over the default.

Also, as far as the concern over the "danger" of an unlock in a "bad area"... just leave it in drive. Or be quick on the autolock to relock after putting it in drive. Or don't go to "bad areas". This has not been a problem, and is overridden by the handy feature of unlock when into placed into park. Keeps passengers from fumbling with the unlock on their door, for instance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts