Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel dumb for asking this, but how do you unlock a (2007) Honda Ridgeline with the key? Is there a separate key besides the one that starts it? I bought mine used in December '14, and I was given a spare to the key that starts it but that's all I've got. When I put either key in with the door locked, they won't turn clockwise, and they will turn a little counter-clockwise but it doesn't unlock the door. I looked in the manual, and I didn't see anything about unlocking the door with the key.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
*scratches his head *

The key that starts the truck SHOULD be the same key that opens the doors.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
If it was original regular key it would unlock/lock door trunk glove box start truck.
The valet key would unlock/lock door & start truck.
So something was changed on vehicle new ignition or door lock.
Does your key work trunk & glove box.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The keys unlock the glove box, the trunk, and starts the truck. They won't unlock the door manually. Counterclockwise should unlock it? Does it just turn and unlock or do you have to hold it a certain amount of time?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Sounds like the lock was replaced on the driver's door and they didn't bother to re-core it to match the ignition. A locksmith should be able to help.

Also, you should have gotten 3 keys. Two remote keys, and a non-remote key that is the valet.

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Remember with the key you can roll the windows up as well as down.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Lefty locky.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I would give an update on this issue. This is the craziest thing I've ever seen. Two Fridays ago, after reading you guys' answers I figured the lock was bad and I'd have to get a locksmith as suggested. But I read the thing about the windows rolling down if you hold the unlock button on the key, and I thought, "Neat! I didn't know that." I didn't really know why I'd ever use it but I tried it out just to see if it worked, and it did.

The crazy thing is I went over to roll them back up and I decided to try the key in the lock. What do you know; the key turned it easily and unlocked the door as if it had been working all along. What the heck?? I don't think rolling the windows down had anything to do with it but I don't know why all of a sudden the lock worked. The window had been rolled down before by using the button inside the truck so I don't see why using the button on the key would have anything to do with the lock on the door (other than locking or unlocking as normal).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thought I would give an update on this issue. This is the craziest thing I've ever seen. Two Fridays ago, after reading you guys' answers I figured the lock was bad and I'd have to get a locksmith as suggested. But I read the thing about the windows rolling down if you hold the unlock button on the key, and I thought, "Neat! I didn't know that." I didn't really know why I'd ever use it but I tried it out just to see if it worked, and it did.

The crazy thing is I went over to roll them back up and I decided to try the key in the lock. What do you know; the key turned it easily and unlocked the door as if it had been working all along. What the heck?? I don't think rolling the windows down had anything to do with it but I don't know why all of a sudden the lock worked. The window had been rolled down before by using the button inside the truck so I don't see why using the button on the key would have anything to do with the lock on the door (other than locking or unlocking as normal).
Saw your thread from a couple years ago.....I have the same problem with my ridgeline and am going to try what you did. Did the key keep working (manually locking and unlocking) for you? I have called Honda and they say minimum $120 just to look into what's wrong. I'm the original owner and never had anything done that would prevent the key from working manually. Geez.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick update. Tried as outlined above and key still does not work in lock. Has anyone tried to fix the lock by taking the door panel off? Not sure what I'll find. Honda said maybe something fell off the locking mechanism that would allow the key to manually lock/unlock the door. My key does not turn either way when I try to manually unlock. Now if the battery in the key fob goes I'm stuck with a locked door.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
If the key in the lock doesn't turn at all - that's the cylinder (either the tumblers have rusted, or the key has worn over the years).

If the key rotates, but the door doesn't unlock, that's the mechanism - perhaps a rod fell off the movement.

If you want to lubricate the cylinder, go by the local Mercedes dealer and order some lock grease, p/n 002989065105. It's a small spray can with a lock-shaped nozzle. You don't need much.

Chip H.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts