Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through some old magazines from the late 80s this morning and came across an article on new automobile technology including the 4 wheel steering available on the the Honda Prelude and the Mazda 626. I had completely forgotten about this one. This is one of those things that never caught on possibly because of cost or otherwise. How many other new car technologies just didn't quite cut the grade over the years?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
There was that Trans Am model in the 80's that was completely computerized and could drive itself...:act030:

GM brought the 4 wheel steer to their pickups but it didn't sell well enough to keep. I test drove one before I bought the first Ridgeline, I could turn around in the street without doing a 3 point turn. I believe you could get a Dodge Stealth with all wheel steering too.

·
Administrator
20,683 Posts
Infiniti currently uses four wheel steering on some models.

I love reading about technology "firsts" in automobiles. GM had air bags (1973 Impala) and traction control (Max Trac - 1971). Chrysler had anti-lock brakes (Sure Stop on the 1971 Imperial). After decades of absence, they are now standard or federally-required equipment.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
The general public still seems to be aware of the trunk, or the truck, after five years on the market. Hey, Honda marketing: wake up!
I can give a little insight on this issue. When the Ridgeline trunk became known in the industry the competition spent a LOT of money to come up with ways to include a similar feature on their trucks.

The only manufacturer that actually put any of the plans into production was Chrysler/Dodge. The rest took a wait and see position despite having spent money to come up with a competitive solution.

After the sales of the Ridgeline started to falter and the economy tanked all the plans were scrapped.

Nobody knows how much money was spent on engineering and designs due to the Ridgeline, but it was much more than most people would believe.

For whatever reason Honda didn't capitalize on a feature that had the rest of the industry scrambling to address... so that alone would qualify the Ridgeline under-bed storage (trunk) as a major flop.

If a manufacturer were to introduce such a feature today it would be viewed as a validation of the Ridgeline design... nobody wants to do that.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I can give a little insight on this issue. When the Ridgeline trunk became known in the industry the competition spent a LOT of money to come up with ways to include a similar feature on their trucks.

The only manufacturer that actually put any of the plans into production was Chrysler/Dodge. The rest took a wait and see position despite having spent money to come up with a competitive solution.
I thought what Dodge did with their bed walls for storage was what Chevy did with the avalanche since its inception...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts