Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few older threads on windshield wipes and with contradicting recommendations. I wanted to see if I could get some current information from some of you expert owners out there. I need to replace my windshield wipers and I don't want to pay the dealership to do it (it's so simple), I also don't want to go through the hassle or using RainX on my entire windshield. I simply want the best windshield wipers and in the correct sizes for driver side & passenger side. One old forum (listed below) says you need 24 inches for driver side and 22 inches for passenger side, another one says you should go an inch smaller than factory size, and online purchasing has both driver and passenger at 22 inches... so FIRST and foremost, what is the optimal windshield wiper size for my 2011 Honda Ridgeline RTL (for each side)? and SECOND, what are the top 1-3 brands I should get?

This thread claims you can go bigger in size:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068

This thread says 24 inches for driver, 22 inches for passenger:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-311.html

This thread says they dropped 2 inches on wiper size (half way down):
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39164

This thread just compares brands, everything from Walmart/Costco to RainX brand: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-36710.html

This website says 22 inches for each side (driver and passenger):
http://mywiperblades.com/2011-honda-ridgeline-wipers.htm

Much appreciated if anyone can give me some concrete answers and clear up this confusion!

Thanks!

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
FIRST and foremost, what is the optimal windshield wiper size for my 2011 Honda Ridgeline RTL (for each side)? and SECOND, what are the top 1-3 brands I should get?
1. 22" on both sides as specified by the engineers at Honda who designed the system to operate safely and effectively and to meet vehicle safety standards.

2. One of the least expensive, longest-lasting, best performing, and guaranteed-fit solutions is to purchase Honda OEM refills from a Honda dealer at a cost of less than $12 for a pair. The part number is 76622-SZA-A01.

·
Registered
118 Posts
1. 22" on both sides as specified by the engineers at Honda who designed the system to operate safely and effectively and to meet vehicle safety standards.

2. One of the least expensive, longest-lasting, best performing, and guaranteed-fit solutions is to purchase Honda OEM refills from a Honda dealer at a cost of less than $12 for a pair. The part number is 76622-SZA-A01.
That's what I do for all my Hondas. Every oil change, I add a new set of refills, and I am good to go. No skipping, screeching, or other issues I have had with replacements in the past. At less than $15 for both, and they put them in for nothing with the oil change, it's hard to beat.
Rob

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

Like he said +++

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
And... put rain-ex windshield washer fluid in the washer reservoir and all is well.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
And... put rain-ex windshield washer fluid in the washer reservoir and all is well.
That is exactly what I do with both my Honda vehicle. I find it to be the best solution out there.

A new product id about to hit the market. It's called Neverfrost. It's a Canadian company that has developed a transparent film to prevent frost, deflect snow, ice on windshields. It's designed to make the winter ritual of ice scraping a thing of the past. Designed by a group of engineering students from Waterloo, Ontario that came up with a way to ensure they never have to scrape another windshield again. Started as a pet peeve project which took two years to develop. Nano technology, or manipulation of objects on a molecular level. Also claims to be resistant to the impact of stones, and insulates the vehicle cabin from outside elements that will even lessen the scorching heat from the summer sun. I don't believe it's officially on the market yet, but I will be looking into this as soon as it does.

Something Honda should look into maybe applying to their future vehicles.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Neverfrost

I would give this a try just for the stone chips let alone preventing frost.This is something I'm going to try and get.

I just sent them a email to see if I can get this put on the RL.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Toyota part # 85222-06110 and #85212-0T020 for the blades themselves. Then #85214-0T040 and #85214-06140 for refills. I have had them on for 2 yrs and haven't touched them since and they still wipe perfect. Im not sure what the factory honda ones look like but the toyota ones are a fancy smooth plastic. I like the look over the metal ones that were on there. O and this is 100% because I work at toyota.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have used Silblades on all my cars and trucks. They are under warranty for 5 years. I have only had to 2 problems with these wipers. 1 set, after 4 years the paint started to flake off of the wiper, got them replaced under warranty. Just called them up and told them what was going on and they sent me replacements. 2 set, 1 of the wipers chopped / skipped a little right after I installed them. Called them up and they sent me 2 replacements. In both cases they just told me to toss the bad ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for bearing with me on this. I ordered the part listed in the original reply to this post (76622-SZA-A01), they arrived today and I realized it's just the blade refills. I thought it would be the full wiper blade insert which would require replacing the wipers like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6UzALVAXnM

My question is, do I need to return these and buy the full piece that clicks in/out of the wiper? I think this is the correct one... http://amzn.com/B00G9A8U2A

If not, does anyone have a video or how-to guide on how to just replace the rubber blade portion? I cannot find one on YouTube for Ridgelines.

FYI, This is the one I got in the mail today: http://amzn.com/B00BFDFZTC

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
My question is, do I need to return these and buy the full piece that clicks in/out of the wiper?
That's up to you, but it isn't necessary. If the wiper blade and wiper arm aren't damaged, then it's wasteful to replace them if all you need is the refill. Granted, it's a bit easier and quicker to replace the wiper blade assembly. Removing and reinserting the refills can be challenging at first. I remember thinking "this is impossible" the first time I did mine, but once I figured out how it worked it was simple. Unfortunately, I can't remember right this second how to replace the refills since I don't do it often enough - I'd have to look at it and I'm at work at the moment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I really don't know if what I'm about to share would help or worse, steal this thread away. I hope the latter won't ever happen.

Anyhow, though I just owned this 2014 SE model for only 4 months and I like it very much except the mpg, I have rarely been using the windshield wipers on this truck or on any other vehicles I ever owned. They bring distraction to me while I'm behind the wheels trying to get a better vision in the rain (Oregon, I love my state !!!). That is just me. So what do I do to avoid being distracted by the wipers? One might ask. Well, it is very simple actually. Every time I wash my car, which happens very often, I apply some wax solution on the windshield, wait a little bit to let the wax dried up, and then clean it up. The wax, as you might have already guessed, will help the rain drops being blown upwardly whether it is a heavy or light one.

And that is all, folks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anyone know where to buy the OEM wiper arms? I unfortunately ditched mine about two years ago when I decided to go aftermarket. All of the aftermarket brands I've used since haven't been as good as the OEM's, so I would like to get back to those. I would also prefer not to buy them through the dealer if possible.

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
Anyone know where to buy the OEM wiper arms? I unfortunately ditched mine about two years ago when I decided to go aftermarket. All of the aftermarket brands I've used since haven't been as good as the OEM's, so I would like to get back to those. I would also prefer not to buy them through the dealer if possible.
As with any other auto manufacturer, Honda OEM parts can only be purchased from Honda dealers. You can usually buy them online cheaper than your local dealer, but even then, you're still buying from a Honda dealer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts