Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2006 and am looking to upgrade the maps so I bought a disc off eBay. It turns out I can't use it because I need a software update first. I obviously didn't do enough research on this purchase. I called my dealership and they don't have a copy. Here Maps won't sell it separately.

I am looking for a copy of the software update disc to borrow. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
Paul

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Let me see if I still have my "transition" disc around here somewhere. I had to do that when doing my first update (because I had skipped a couple along the way).

·
Administrator
16,797 Posts
Chances are, the disc you purchased off eBay is an illegal copy unless it happened to be an older, genuine version (yet newer than the one you had) that someone decided to get rid of after they upgraded to a newer version. There is only one official outlet to buy genuine navi updates. If you bought it from them (likely at a higher price than what you paid on eBay), you would have gotten both discs you needed to update.

http://www.hondanavi.com

All year models of Ridgelines come with the same map DVD. Only the 2006 requires and comes with the second DVD used to update the software. The price is the same. The version purchased for 2006 will also work for 2007-2014 except you don't need to use the update DVD.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Let me see if I still have my "transition" disc around here somewhere. I had to do that when doing my first update (because I had skipped a couple along the way).
Thanks for checking Dnick!
Sorry, but after rummaging around, I am unable to find that disc. 'Might have tossed it out, but more likely it is somewhere around here requiring "deep dive" searching. Can't help you.
BUT, you might try calling the disc source phone number, and see if they won't just send you the "transition" disc gratis. Just tell them you have whatever disc you have (you'll be able to identify it from markings on the disc), and if it's a legit disc, they might be helpful with the transition disc, given you need it to install the newer version into a "non-updated" 2006 system. I know when I did it originally, there was no extra charge for that extra disc, so you might get lucky & get it from the source for free. Good Luck. You ARE going to need that disc.... it re-configures the system or something like that, so that all future discs are compatible. That was unique to the 2006 system I guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dnick, thanks anyway, I appreciate your time!

Does anyone else have a transition disc laying around? I might just return the disc to the seller. I initiated a return because it didn't come in retail packaging, and they claim the disc is legit and the copies they have are OEM that don't come with said packaging. So I can either return it or get a 20% discount. Seems iffy, still no idea if this is a legit disc. It's a moot point anyway, as I can't use it.

I did call the Honda Navi folks, they won't sell me just the transition disc. :-( Maybe I'll just skip it altogether.

Thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
16,797 Posts
Personally, I'd get a full refund if I could then buy the legitimate upgrade kit that you know will work.

WARNING: I since remembered a situation a while back where at least one member here purchased a "questionable" navigation DVD that ended up damaging their system. Not only did the disc not work, but it resulted in them having to pay the dealer to repair it. If I find the post, I'll add the link.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd be willing to pay for this "transition" disc if anyone wants to sell it to me. That way I'd be ready to update if and when I come across a legit used maps disc at a decent price. I don't need 2015, but a little more recent than 2006 would be nice.

I've decided to return the one I bought. Even though the seller makes it sound legit, I just can't trust it and don't want to brick my navi.

·
Administrator
16,797 Posts
I'd be willing to pay for this "transition" disc if anyone wants to sell it to me. That way I'd be ready to update if and when I come across a legit used maps disc at a decent price. I don't need 2015, but a little more recent than 2006 would be nice.

I've decided to return the one I bought. Even though the seller makes it sound legit, I just can't trust it and don't want to brick my navi.
I think that would be a wise decision. I'll sporadically purchase a new update and put my previous update on eBay. I try and catch the updates when they are "on sale" for $99-149 and free shipping from hondanavi.com (the official source). I usually get around $85 for the older versions on eBay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts