Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL E
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL E and received a notice that an update to the navigation system was available to download. I formatted a 16GB flash drive to FAT32 but am unclear as to what I am supposed to do after inserting the flash drive into the USB port on the truck

Any advice would be much appreciate.

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gti16vman-

Thanks again for the YouTube video link on how to download the current map update from Garmin and install it onto the navigation system of my 2020 Ridgeline RTL E. Attached below is a photo that I took of the download in progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Glad to hear it. I actually decided yesterday to run my updates as well for my RL and Odyssey also. It had been about a year since I had done mine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Get a 16GB USB to plug into the USB so the USB can write to the USB. Then plug the USB into the USB, write files to the USB so you can then put the USB back in the USB....

(sorry, calling everything that has a USB port or USB connector a "USB" for some reason annoys me. It's like calling every vehicle a "gasoline".)

I haven't done the update on my 2020 RTL-E yet... I don't use the Garmin maps anyway, I use Android Auto. I will update it soon-ish. It'll be a good backup system should I ever have issues with my device.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FrayAdjacent-

What you wrote about:

calling everything that has a USB port or USB connector a "USB" for some reason annoys me. It's like calling every vehicle a "gasoline"

Finding this annoying to you is understandable. I am a retired general building contractor and it used to annoy me when people referred to a water heater as a
hot water heater.” Now that I am nearly 70 years old I have mellowed somewhat. At least now I resist the temptation to correct people who refer to a water heater as a hot-water heater. Now I just bite my tongue.
😬

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hehehe semantics. It's the same with "BlueTooth". Oh, I've got a BlueTooth! Yeah? A BlueTooth WHAT?

I'm doing the update right now. I've just learned that the Ridgeline doesn't like my old 16GB SanDisk USB stick. I formatted it twice, but the truck wouldn't write to it. I happened to have another 16GB USB stick in the truck that I had previously used in another vehicle for music. It recognized that one first time without formatting. Data is now downloading... we'll see if it goes well!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was planning on updating mine this week. The instructions for updating the system requires the truck to be running. Is this just to make sure the battery doesn't run low while updating for such a long time? What if I keep it on a battery tender instead???
  • The engine must be running while the vehicle is parked outside or in a well-ventilated area. Before getting started, familiarize yourself with and follow all applicable laws in your area.
Link for Garmin Instructions

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-T
317 Posts
I was planning on updating mine this week. The instructions for updating the system requires the truck to be running. Is this just to make sure the battery doesn't run low while updating for such a long time? What if I keep it on a battery tender instead???
  • The engine must be running while the vehicle is parked outside or in a well-ventilated area. Before getting started, familiarize yourself with and follow all applicable laws in your area.
Link for Garmin Instructions
I updated mine with it only in accessory mode while on a battery tender. No issues. Once you have the file downloaded on the memory stick, it shouldn’t take long and it doesn’t have to be running, although I did update mine once while going down the road, since I very seldom use navigation (primarily because everyone tells me where to go) 😳.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
605 Posts
Calling your water heater a hot water heater seems perfectly correct to me. The argument that it doesnt heat hot water, it heats cold water is less accurate. It is filled with hot water and heats it to keep it hot for 99 % of it's life. It is a heater that provides hot water and heats hot water to keep it hot. Therefore it is a hot water heater. And if you are 70, retired and that bugs you, it must be nice that that is one of the pressing issues on your mind 😁

1 - 12 of 12 Posts