Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this may seem silly but I wanted people's thoughts on what a fair cost should be to upgrade from a 2019 RTL-E to a 2020 model.
My 2019 RTL-E has 5000 miles, garaged, hardly driven in rain and twice in snow. Babied!!
I offered my dealer $4k to upgrade in April and they held a laugh and practically said sorry we're busy, go away.
How much do you think someone should pay to upgrade one year?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Considering that RL supply is tighter and used values have dropped no buyer advantage right now. KBB shows a trade in range of 29.3 to 31.4 for a mint example. I suspect it will cost you 7-10k. In the past I believe some folks did the switch for like 5k. IMO, why not wait to see what the next Pilot will be like which should dictate the direction for the RL if there is a next generation.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm no stranger to buying and selling - I've done it about once a year for the last few decades.
Maybe you've answered this before, but why do you buy/sell your vehicle every year?

Is there a reason you change vehicles so frequently, especially when buying the same model?
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to do short-term leases instead of buying/selling?

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Maybe you've answered this before, but why do you buy/sell your vehicle every year?

Is there a reason you change vehicles so frequently, especially when buying the same model?
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to do short-term leases instead of buying/selling?
Everybody needs a vice... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For me, I was just thinking if only $4k, jump up a year, get the new 9-speed trans, wide open rear doors, and locking tailgate. Plus I would get some back with a higher value.
Maybe the Covid-19 got my brain and I just dreamed on too much. I rarely need a truck but the Ridgeline rides and drives so nice, I enjoy it. I have a 2017 Corvette for fun but harsher ride.
I also have a 2015 Civic(14k miles) that gets the rainy days so I can keep the Ridgeline clean in the garage. I love cars... I am 64 and have had 49 different vehicles in my lifetime.
You can say it, I'm a crazy old bas-tard. Most joy in my life is the grand-kids and driving back country roads.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
That beautiful black RL depreciated that much when you drove it off the lot. But you knew that already. From the dealership's perspective, if they take that one in on a trade, they need to make $3-4k when they sell it to the next person. Add the depreciation and their profit margin to figure about what they think your RL is worth.

Looks great - I'd keep it.

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts

There are lots of reasons - some of which may require a psychologist to reveal.

Part of the reason is habit. My father traded often and I've traded every year on average since I became old enough to drive.

Part of the reason is satisfaction. I can't stand seeing any signs of use, wear, or damage on a vehicle. If a vehicle doesn't appear and operate just as it did when it rolled off the assembly line, I'm not satisfied.

Part of the reason is peace of mind. The older a vehicle gets, the more problems it tends to develop or that I discover and I HATE warranty repairs. Humans can't put things back together as precisely as robots can and vehicles are often damaged or soiled when left in the hands of others.

My brain is wired to like new things. I replace a lot of items unnecessarily simply to have a newer, cleaner copy - this makes me happy.

The shortest leases are typically 2-3 years. Anything less is hard to find and basically a long-term rental and would cost me more than trading. Also, I like having a clear title in my hand.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,307 Posts
For me, I was just thinking if only $4k, jump up a year, get the new 9-speed trans, wide open rear doors, and locking tailgate. Plus I would get some back with a higher value.
Maybe the Covid-19 got my brain and I just dreamed on too much. I rarely need a truck but the Ridgeline rides and drives so nice, I enjoy it. I have a 2017 Corvette for fun but harsher ride.
I also have a 2015 Civic(14k miles) that gets the rainy days so I can keep the Ridgeline clean in the garage. I love cars... I am 64 and have had 49 different vehicles in my lifetime.
You can say it, I'm a crazy old bas-tard. Most joy in my life is the grand-kids and driving back country roads.
I feel your new car pain. I just sold my 2018 Mini Cooper S, which pained me as I have always had at least 2 vehicles. The Ridgeline is basically the stop gap vehicle between my former Ram 1500 and the Mini and will be a more pleasant daily driver than the Ram, as towing is on the menu, which the Mini won't do. We are picking up a Kubota Side by Side which will be our new "3rd vehicle". I have had so many cars over the years that I don't think I could remember them all. My first was a 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88. Long ago I asked my wife, "cars or women". She said she'd rather I swap cars. Makes sense to me as the cars definitely cost a lot less. 😊

1 - 9 of 9 Posts