Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to an Expert, but I felt the answers were too focused on sales. I asked a question on speakers and got a reply to upgrade my entire system. Yes, anything can happen. Speakers can crack, and dry rot, from parking in the sun.

My goal is not to have a ground thumping system. Happy with OEM. Over the years, it's hard to tell if I need new speakers because we get used to how it sounds.

Questions:

• Do head units wear out? So there's really no need to replace it, correct?
  • Speakers are the only thing that do wear out, correct?
  • Will getting new speakers improve sound (compare to Honda OEM)?

I did my research. Crutchfield's review generally note that some speakers do last as long as the car. Charting the decline of factory speakers

Meaning, as the first owner, replacing OEM speakers is probably not necessary.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2019 RTL
678 Posts
Head Units and Speakers do not "wear out" as such (i.e. slowly degrade over time) but both may fail or be damaged.

Upgrading either (and other audio related components) will generally improve sound quality as will other changes you can make (like adding sound-deadening material).

If you're happy with the sound quality then you don't need to change anything unless they fail or are damaged.

If you do want to improve sound quality, there is plenty you can do, including sound deadening, new door speakers, new tweeters, new head unit, add DSP, new amp, new sub enclosure, new sub, etc. How far you go depends on where you want to get to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I had the system done in my Accord coupe...the sound change was dramatic. He showed me the door/rear speakers and they were the cheapest paper junk you’d find. You don’t HAVE to change them but, you’d love the way some new 3-way speakers would make your music pop. I did nothing but change the speakers...keeping the factory amp and head unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a gen 1 and the original system was garbage, but it allowed for tweeters in the dash which was nice. The thing about head units is, they will become obsolete before they break. I'm tempted to update mine, again to get better Bluetooth connection and apple car play. Also Ive never heard of speakers breaking in less than 20 years, unless you push them too hard.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. A few more questions. If I was to replace the head unit with a double din (for a Honda, non-Ridgeline, Accord LX for example), sure I can change the audio settings in the new head unit.

1. The shop most likely will be able to wire back the steering wheel controls. Correct? (I've seen a pigtail wire connector for that.)
2. With a new double din head unit, I most likely will loose some of the settings. Meaning the Setting button will be gone. I would loose the vehicle info settings, the OEM clock settings, etc.

Correct on both statements above?

·
Registered
302 Posts
IMO, if you have the big head unit, it is so integrated with the truck, I would be leery of swapping it out. There have been at least a few on here who have done an Audio Control or JL Cleansweep to keep the stock headunit, take the factory amplifier outputs and run them to an aftermarket amplifier and speakers. If I were going to completely overhaul the system, I would most likely go with the Audio Control LC-6.1200.

Since I didn't want to go all out, I swapped the factory speakers out and added a JL sub box/amp combo. I stole the inputs for the stock sub and ran them through an audio control LC2i to feed it. For me, the sound is much better than stock and more than adequate for my needs in the truck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would be curious to know how many people with the 500-watt speaker upgrade are happy with it and how many are looking to replace.

I found that replacing the front speaker with a nice 3-way, Kicker for instance, makes a huge difference in sound quality. I also I had a WRX with the JL OEM integration which was AWESOME and highly recommended if you want to go to that extent, but it ain’t cheap. Mine was a special install by the dealer–hard to estimate price, but I’m guessing $1500-2000. But—you keep the OEM HU and all the integration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts