Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. I own a 2006 Ridgeline RTL. It came with the Honda 6disc cd changer/stereo head unit. I bought a Honda navigation unit & radio head unit which came from an 06 RTL. My wiring harness does not match the navigation inputs. What options do I have? Is this Honda to Honda head unit upgrade even possible? HELP PLEASE

·
Registered
45 Posts
I need help. I own a 2006 Ridgeline RTL. It came with the Honda 6disc cd changer/stereo head unit. I bought a Honda navigation unit & radio head unit which came from an 06 RTL. My wiring harness does not match the navigation inputs. What options do I have? Is this Honda to Honda head unit upgrade even possible? HELP PLEASE
I looked on Crutchfield and put in 06 Ridgeline and the first question it asks is do you have the navigation unit. The first time I answered no. Then I chose a stereo and looked at the wire harness they say works. The second time I chose the option that I had the navigation unit. Then I looked at the same stereo and looked at the wire harness they give you. Again, it's the same Metra harness That tells me the factory wire harness is the same for each, at least for power, ground, and front/rear speakers. Part of the harness should plug in regardless of which unit you have. But whether your truck has everything for a nav unit, I don't know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Blammo585. You’re right as far as the radio goes but I’m short 4 or 5 wiring harness inputs for the nav side.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,150 Posts
Navi ridgelines have the two piece head unit but they also have a remote unit for the Navigation CD and the instrument cluster is different. Wiring is different for the head units and absent for the remote unit. Simply put, you aren't going to be able to easily install the unit. It's 2005 technology so it is hard to justify the considerable effort it will take to install it in a non Navi Ridgeline.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL
6 Posts
You can possibly do it but it would take a lot of time and additional equipement.
You will need to buy the navigation unit and additional wiring harness. The navigation unit is actually located underneath the driver seat and looks like a DVD player. You will also need to install the GPS antenna and bracket which is located in the dash behind the instrument cluster panel (I installed an aftermarket Kenwood DNX994S and have posted pictures of the bracket and location).
If you go to a Honda OEM part web site and define your Ridgeline as one with Navigation, in the electrical components a new selection will be displayed for navigation. There you will find the part numbers for the nav unit, brackets, wire harness, GPS antenna, hardware and other items you might need. I bought the brackets and OEM GPS for my aftermarket radio, I just removed the OEM GPS antenna and used the one that came with the new radio.
The Navigation unit under the driver seat is very expensive and you might want to try ebay for one.
This is just for the navigation part, I did not mention the XM radio antenna, the microphone, or the additional buttons for the steering wheel.
If you are hard core and want to spend the money and time for a OEM factory system it can be done.
I ran into this problem myself with my 2006 Rdgeline that I inherited and decided to install a Kenwood Excelon DNX994S that I bought with a good deal from Amazon for $449. I had to buy a steering wheel interface and radio dash kit and the hardware to mount the GPS where Honda hides theirs. The only thing I do not like is the dash kit because it is plastic (but hey, my honda mower has a plastic deck).
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. It is very helpful. I’m going to try to do it. Not willing to spend to much money but I have plenty of time. I’m going to wait to find the right Ridgeline in a junkyard and scavenge the parts I need. Shouldn’t be too expensive.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL
6 Posts
Thanks for the info. It is very helpful. I’m going to try to do it. Not willing to spend to much money but I have plenty of time. I’m going to wait to find the right Ridgeline in a junkyard and scavenge the parts I need. Shouldn’t be too expensive.
Hopefully you have a good connection when going to a salvage yard a new nav unit was in the thousands in price but that model/series might be out of production by now. If you're just wanting to do the navigation part, hopefully it won't get to be too painful on your wallet.
I believe the unit you bought might have blue tooth capabilities and the microphone might be part of the map lights/sun glass holder.
There is also the capability to add the aux input...that is located on passenger side dash area on the far left side (almost by the radio and display unit).
If you need help with part numbers or something...just let me know.
Good luck and try to enjoy your OEM adventure.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,150 Posts
The instrument cluster is different on navigation models. I would suspect that there will be compatibility issues unless you get the Navi instruments although it might still partially work?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL
6 Posts
I don't think there is a difference for instrument control unit, 2006 Ridgeline Electrical Troubleshooting book is showing only one type. Might be additional connectors splitting off from the wire harness though (my guess would be for the reverse indicator light for use with the backup camera).
Attaching some pictures for you to look at (Instrument unit, nav unit, radio without nav, and radio with nav. 20200620_134317.jpg 20200620_134109.jpg 20200620_140508.jpg 20200620_140345.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts