Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

This is a simple post: I upgraded the OEM HU to a Pioneer DMH-2660NEX.

I followed the install tutorials here. I used the Metra dash kit, the Crux harness and steering wheel control adapters, and the Axxes micro bypass. Other than a couple of hiccups (forgot to reconnect the airbag sensor light when I put it back together :rolleyes:), it all went well, thanks in large part to RLOC posts by community members.

As far as the stereo, it is from the new series by Pioneer, with a glossy, capacitive screen. It includes HD Radio tunner. It is extremely fast and the screen is very responsive, visible even in bright sunlight. It is compatible with both AndroidAuto and AppleCarPlay. It is buttonless, so very smooth looking. This is my one compaint: when you want to lower the volume, you want to reach out to the screen, but it's not always easy to find the +/- "buttons".

I lost the subwoofer, as everyone in this forum knows. But I am not interested in getting super loud bass. That being said, I know that the G1 speakers are garbage, and my upgrade made that more than evident.

Overall, I am happy with the upgrade: modern stereo, Android Auto, better sound, I get navigation, etc. And the install is so easy on this car, it's well worth it. Pics below.

P.S. I was thinking of replacing the factory speakers with Rockford Fosgate R165X3. I welcome any thoughts on that.
20200703_170121.jpg

20200703_165917.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Those look like great speakers, especially for the price, but the problem is then your high frequencies will be coming from the doors, which won't sound that good and will get blocked by peoples' legs. It would be better to get separate woofers for the doors and tweeters for the dash (AKA: component speakers instead of coaxial speakers). This definitely a slippery slope: Treating the doors with dynamat or similar, speaker rings (Amazon.com: Road Kill RKFR6 3 Piece Foam Speaker Enhancer System Kit for 6" & 6.5" Drivers), mounting the new tweeters (A pillars is superior to stock locations), mounts for speakers, etc.

Nice looking stereo. That's too bad that they didn't put in buttons you can feel. Are your steering wheel buttons working?

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
481 Posts
I upgraded my speakers only in my 2019RTL-T (Focal ISS165 components in the front and RCX-165 2 ways in the rear). I have always done complete system upgrades in the past, but better speakers by themselves can make a significant improvement.
I agree with gg48gg that components in the front are probably a better option since you are already wired for the separate tweeters. I think the dash location is perfectly fine and would be simpler than trying to do a new install location in the A pillars. For the G2 systems, I have read more complaints than good things about too much treble with the A pillar tweeters. I think that has to do with the terrible stock tweeter, the systems themselves which seems to have a high end bias (seems to be true with all 3 trim level systems), and the fact that the tweeters are pointed right at your face.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I haven't found any issues at all with the stock speakers on my 2019RTL. The adjustments in the head unit are pretty sensitive and I have mine set very close to the default center of the range. You can make it sound very bad if they are adjusted very far from center. The first RTL I test drove I thought the sound system was terrible. When I test drove a second one at a different dealer I played with the settings a bit while I waited on the sales person and my impressions changed a lot.

Now having one I am perfectly satisfied with it except I wish it at least had siri eyes free or similar to handle the phone connection a bit better.

I'll probably end up upgrading it at some point after the warranty is out if I can find a good carplay head unit that doesn't have an overly obnoxious startup warning. My last aftermarket radio had a disclaimer that never timed out and I have decided never to make that mistake again. Every time I got in to drive somewhere that stupid warning would come up. Never again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts