Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a UsAcoustics USX-2080 amp (280 watts bridged-claimed) from my old boat, so I decided to use it to drive another JBL 8 inch sub. My plan was to remove the back seat and replace the stock driver with the JBL, put some stuffing material in the box, run the subwoofer leads to a speaker level to rca level converter, to the amp under the front passenger seat then the speaker leads back under the carpet to the sub. I had to cut out the plastic screen on the woofer's box because the JBL was about an inch and half deeper. So after grounding the system and running a test lead/remote lead from the battery, I found out the JBL was damaged, suck! So, I put the stock sub back in with the JBL's metal screen on the outside of the box for protection and ran the wiring the right way. I wired the remote to one of the 12 volt outlets in dash and ran the battery lead through a firewall grommet to the amp. So it was time to fire it and to my surprise, even with the lack luster stock sub, the output was drastically better. It can now push a lot more air, though it will start to bottom out way before the bridged amp reaches its limits. The sub also seems a lot less mid-bass heavy though it still can't go very low, I'm assuming it starts to drop off pretty quickly below 40hz. So, if you have a spare amp laying around you may want to wire it up. With just a simple modification or two, you make your stock sub sound much better. I have a ten inch Reference Bazooka tube that'll I'll try, just for fun. I'm sure it will dominate the stock sub, but I don't want to lose the back seat just for more bass. Thoughts?

·
Registered
265 Posts
TCW said:
I had a UsAcoustics USX-2080 amp (280 watts bridged-claimed) from my old boat, so I decided to use it to drive another JBL 8 inch sub. My plan was to remove the back seat and replace the stock driver with the JBL, put some stuffing material in the box, run the subwoofer leads to a speaker level to rca level converter, to the amp under the front passenger seat then the speaker leads back under the carpet to the sub. I had to cut out the plastic screen on the woofer's box because the JBL was about an inch and half deeper. So after grounding the system and running a test lead/remote lead from the battery, I found out the JBL was damaged, suck! So, I put the stock sub back in with the JBL's metal screen on the outside of the box for protection and ran the wiring the right way. I wired the remote to one of the 12 volt outlets in dash and ran the battery lead through a firewall grommet to the amp. So it was time to fire it and to my surprise, even with the lack luster stock sub, the output was drastically better. It can now push a lot more air, though it will start to bottom out way before the bridged amp reaches its limits. The sub also seems a lot less mid-bass heavy though it still can't go very low, I'm assuming it starts to drop off pretty quickly below 40hz. So, if you have a spare amp laying around you may want to wire it up. With just a simple modification or two, you make your stock sub sound much better. I have a ten inch Reference Bazooka tube that'll I'll try, just for fun. I'm sure it will dominate the stock sub, but I don't want to lose the back seat just for more bass. Thoughts?
I swapped the stock sub for an 8" MTX Thunder 4500, using the OEM headunit as a test project. I installed it exactly the same way you did, buy cutting away the OEM grille. The sub sounded great, but I lost approx.25-30% of its volume. More power is needed to run the MTX. Anyway, I though you should know that a 10" Bazooka WILL NOT FIT under the back seat without some modification. I tried the SAME THING, but you are an inch or so shy of clearing the tube. I listed my 10'' Bazooka on Ebay, and I'll buy an 8" to fit under the seat................

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No doubt that MTX will need much more juice than the factory amp to really come alive. I just tried the Bazooka and it sounds amazing, not boomy but tight with nice extension (probably good down to 30 Hz). I have an SVS tube in my home system so I'm used to quality bass in my music and the bazooka sounds similar, just can't go as deep. It is an older Reference series Bazooka with the single voice coil and in my opinion, sounds much better (musically) than the never reference bazookas. I have had the Bazooka in my Accord for about five years and have been happy with its sound. I will only use it in the RL for trips where no more than four people in the truck are required. I do have just enough room to lower the left-side back seats (60 split side). Also, I run the bass at -6 and the subwoofer at + 1, that way I keep as much of the bloated midbass out of the door speakers. It sounds surprizingly good, real good in fact. Anyway, it was a fun little project.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts