Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2007 RTX.... and found out I got an elk tag (I'm in Arizona). I previosly had a RT, I took that hunting, and it did pretty admirably on forrest roads, which can get a little rough/rocky here in AZ. However in the interim I had a 2010 tundra that was very impressive on what it could do. I know I can't get the RL to the level of a tundra, but I wanted to look into some upgrades to improve the off road performance, though while not throwing away the better road manners.

What upgrades are recommended (if any)? My first through was ditch the OEM running boards I have, and add a grill guard. The big step would be a 2" lift. What is the general consensus on adding a lift? I've read both good and bad. Would it be a good idea if I do the lift to also do new stutts as they'll be coming off (my RL has 72k miles)?

Are there any shocks/strutts that are considered pretty good for the RL with off road driving in mind? I did bilstiens on my tundra and they rocked.

Sorry for the scattershot post, but I get excited whenever I get something and can start chopping and upgdrading.... which drives my wife crazy as she wonders why I buy a gun just to sell off 1/2 the original parts.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yes,ditch running boards. They will hit everything. Do the lift. New struts if you have the funds. Honda/kyb are only options. Depending on the condition of your inner axle boots...you can either have them replaced now while they can be easily accessed or wait until the tear...which could either be soon or in 20k.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2014 Sport and I am also looking at upgrading my Ridgeline so it is a little more offroad ready. I think first on my list is a front skid plate, the last thing I would want to happen is to have a boulder take out a critical tender underside part . Next up would be a 2" lift to get some clearance. Third and probably most expensive would be tires. The stock Michelin's are alright for everyday use and do reasonably well in the dirt but their sidewalls are paper thin. I know this from experience when the last time I went out to the desert, my right front took the thinnest of thorns in the sidewall that I had to replace at a cost of $340.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Subscribed as also looking for some tips. Tires are going bald but want to lift while putting new ones on. Considering shocks now given I'm almost at 70k.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well... a jagged nail gave me an unexpected flat today which put me at discount tire.

Ended up with 4 new cooper atp on/off road hybrid tires. Not the first upgrade I expected, but I will let you know how I like them.

Anyone interested in buying some used oem running boards? ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
2" lift, slightly larger A/T tires, skid plates, and an external trans cooler with a switched electric fan so you can control trans cooling from the cabin. That should cover everything. The first three cover your ground clearance issues and the last helps ward off overheating the trans which is the next hurdle do to the lack of low range 1st gear.

I've done a lot of the "jeep" trails in the San Juan mountains of CO and many around the Phoenix area of AZ as well.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Congrats on your elk tag!

I have had 3 RL's, 1 not lifted the last 2 lifted. I spend a lot of time on the forest service roads looking for elk and other critters and the lift kit is going to be the most important thing to get.

The non lifted RL did fine off road but the lift makes it look so much better and the extra ground clearance makes you feel a little more secure when going over the rocks.

I wouldn't ditch the running boards until after you get the lift, just in case you find you need them when your RL is 2 inches higher.

Here is my lifted 2010 with 265/65/17's:

polished metal.jpg

And my lifted 2013 with the stock Michelins. I know I need to get bigger tires it's just hard to toss Michelins with only 20k miles on them.

dcp.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Race - great looking RL's. What did the lift end up costing you on each vehicle?

Thanks,
Tony

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. The polished metal metallic was on the showroom floor with the lift so I'm not sure what the charge was. On my current DCP I got the lift from Fat Bobs, I think it was around $250 or so and I paid a neighbor/mechanic $200 to install it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I hunt. First season truck was stock and didn't have the clearance. Then lift and 245/70 Toyo ATII tires and good now. No running boards/steps needed or wanted, no complaints from my 5'7" better half.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I second what a lot have said... 2" lift, get the boots done while you're at it (learn from experience), front/rear skid plates, larger tires (I have BFG TA/KO2's 255/70/17's) and by all means get a full size spare.

I'm an elk hunter in CO... Live on the west slope with some great bulls... who love private land. :frown:

Good luck this year!

I was up on the cont divide this afternoon and what a difference those tires make after the lift.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts