Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First off just wanted to say, these forums are awesome and there is a lot of valuable information here. Thanks to all.

Second, I'm very inexperienced with vehicles so explanations are best spoke in a beginners language.
I just bought a 2006 EX-L (Canada) I don't know which model that is in the states. I'm looking to upgrade my stereo deck. At this point I don't plan on doing any changes to the speakers.
What I am looking for is to be able to play my iphone, make calls from and still maintain the steering wheel controls. I've done reading on possibly using products such as the iSimple, but i feel if I am going to spend ~$200 I might as well look into a new deck for ~$300 - 400.
What should I be looking for when buying a new deck to ensure it will work with my vehicle and factory stereo?

Any information / feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
You need to decide if you go single DIN or double DIN, Single din will leave an extra storage space or pocket and they are more affordable. Add blue tooth if you want hands free and convenience.

Recommended reliable brands, Kenwood, JVC, Pioneer and a bit more expensive is Alpine.

You should probably get one unit from Crutchfield, they include the wiring harness, antenna conrvertion kit to hook it up and great directions. If you want to add steering controls you should buy the axxess one to have steering controls, it is easy to connect and make it work.

The downside is you will loose the subwoofer in your RTL, you will need to add an amp or replace the sub box and add an amp, because the Honda receivers has 5 channels with speaker wire output, the upgrade sound improvement will be worth it, but it will cost maybe an extra $350.00, you will need a 6 channel After market receiver also they have RCA connectors for the sub and you need an amplifier to use them.

If all you want to do is hook up your iphone and get calls, maybe you can get a Honda music link 2.00, it works with all iphones, you will not get text song display just track numbers and you may need to select a play list or artist before you hook it up to listen to it otherwise, it will shuffle or you have some channels you can scroll through to find the tracks you may enjoy. You can find these for $50.00 shipped on Ebay. Or get an AUX module port to control it from the phone, in both cases you will loose the XM.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
It is hard to give up a 6 disc changer also besides the sub, the nice thing about aftermarket Head units is, the aux ports, USB ports for pocket size or smaller flash cards or hard drives where you can store hundreds of music files.

Double Din, DVD player is also a benefit if the extra cash is not an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Right now I have no issues with the sound quality of the stereo when playing a CD. If I could simply maintain that quality when using my iPhone and keep the steering controls that would be my ideal scenario.

So if I go to a new Double Din, why would I lose my Sub? And im assuming losing the sub will significantly affect overall sound quality.

The music link looks like it may work for my needs, however its very tempting to get a new Head deck with bluetooth and on screen text for songs, etc. However the money tree I planted in the yard has yet to flourish :/

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Right now I have no issues with the sound quality of the stereo when playing a CD. If I could simply maintain that quality when using my iPhone and keep the steering controls that would be my ideal scenario.

So if I go to a new Double Din, why would I lose my Sub? And im assuming losing the sub will significantly affect overall sound quality.

The music link looks like it may work for my needs, however its very tempting to get a new Head deck with bluetooth and on screen text for songs, etc. However the money tree I planted in the yard has yet to flourish :/

The factory Radio has 5 channels all through speaker level outputs, 4 for the speakers and 1 for the sub, After market receivers usually have 4 channels for the doors, and have speaker level for 4 channels only meaning you will have the 4 speakers hooked up but no sub because there is no amplifier for the sub, only for the doors, in other words the factory receiver has a built in amplifier for the sub, after market ones do not, they have either a 3 ch configuration,( 2 front, and bridge the last 2 to form 1 ch for the sub, but you still need an amp and you loose the rear door speakers) or a 6 channel receiver, where you connect the last sub channels and the amp bridge them to become a 5 channel configuration).

The ideal set up is to have a 5 channel amplifier to amplify all the channels, through all rca connectors, you can save money by using a 4 ch amp in a 3 channel configuration bridging the last 2 and just have the receiver drive the rear doors while the 4 ch amp drives the front and the sub, or like other guys do, they just get a mono sub dedicated amp just to drive the sub. The factory sub only handles about25- 30 watts rms, that is is why when you replace the receiver you loose the sub and if you get an amp for it you may risk frying the factory sub since most mono amps put out over 200 rms watts.

You need to read a lot of the threads or search, some guys just get the bazooka, to solve the issue, but that is $160.00. There are some recent fresh threads in the mobil electronics section with this same scenario and subject now.

I think the Honda music link 2.0 or the options on this thread may be for you if you are happy with the sound you have right now.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=650341&postcount=2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts