Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have begun this month what may be a lengthy sabbatical and have decided to make some improvements to the truck prior to shipping it back CONUS (to take the truck and wander for several months). While most of these improvements involve adding/upgrading electronics, it turns out the truck requires some additional love as well to forestall falling - actually rusting - apart. This forum has been a quite valuable source of information and inspiration, so I figured to share my progress here.

Currently on the list:
  • Add front and rear cameras (”wireless”).
  • Add front and rear parking sensors.
  • Replace current aftermarket Clarion head unit with Pioneer AVH-1550 NEX and restore at least some steering wheel controls. The cameras will plug into this head unit.
  • Replace current aftermarket speakers (no discernible brand) with JBL Club 6500C (front) and JBL Club 6520 (rear).
  • Restore OEM subwoofer by installing Kicker PXA200.1 mono amplifier.
  • Restore operation of rear sliding glass (assuming it is only the obviously broken door switch).
As part of the stereo upgrade, I got Noico SNL1 deadening mat and Noico RED 150 mil insulation to add to the doors, roof, panel behind the rear seats, and perhaps the decking if enough is left over.

Unfortunately, after removing (completely) the rear seat and subwoofer I removed the rear insulation/cover and discovered quite a lot of rust deterioration on the rear panel. So abating that is also on the list. There is also significant rust under the top of all door seals, so that is on the list. And after dropping the headliner, the interior rust corresponding to the driver side roof rack channel also makes the list. So a lot of grinding, rust converting and at least priming is in order.

It has been rather rainy here for the last week that I’ve had the rear passenger area stripped and I’ve not had any water in the cabin, so discovering the source of the apparent leaks may be mostly conjecture. It may be that it only leaks during typhoon season when strong winds are driving the rain. The rust patterns seem to indicate that the water came through at the rear glass and at either side rear corners. I’ll probably be pulling the roof rack and the upper brake light panel to see what’s going on there.

Also, upon removing the headliner it turns out the only thing holding the fabric up were the light fixtures, hardware, and a few staples I had put in to temporarily tack the fabric down at the driver door. So restoring the headliner is also on the list. I’m probably going to just clean it up, hit it with some undercoating (Evercoat 1348), and then paint with some Dupli-Color medium gray Vinyl and Fabric Coating. That way if it looks too off I can just re-coat the moonroof sunshade, visors, and other headliner hardware and fixtures to match.

Hopefully I’ll be complete with all this by end of the month. I intend to update this thread occasionally with progress and fotos.

Be well gentle readers. 🙂

·
Super Moderator
5,030 Posts
It looks like you have a formidable task ahead of you, @laeth. I commend you for taking the initiative to get the truck in good working order. Rust is one of the things that is most difficult for DIY'ers to deal with. I am glad I call Colorado home!

Looking forward to your updates. Thank you for sharing your vision for the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like you have a formidable task ahead of you, @laeth. I commend you for taking the initiative to get the truck in good working order. Rust is one of the things that is most difficult for DIY'ers to deal with. I am glad I call Colorado home!

Looking forward to your updates. Thank you for sharing your vision for the Ridgeline.
Thanks! It’s not so daunting if broken down to smaller tasks. Plus it’s just about all I have going on right now anyhow. 😁

Lessons learned so far:
- the headliner can be removed with seats fully to the rear and fully reclined. You just have to rotate it 90 degrees, tilt forward, and then pull through the passenger front door.
- There is a grounding wire/clip on the wiring harness in the cabin rear that secures to the rear panel. If you fail to reconnect it the truck will not start.

Accomplished so far:

- Rear panel rust is (hopefully) abated and interior and exterior portion re-coated. The exterior portion is dampened.
- Headliner removed, resurfaced, and a couple of coats shy of being finished. Will likely re-coat attaching hardware and fixtures to match as the color seems too far off. Along with the moonroof sunshade if I can figure out how to remove it without disassembling the moonroof.

Be well readers. 🙂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Recent accomplishments:
- headliner completed and awaiting re-install
- roof dampened and insulated
- moonroof sunshade removed, insulated, painted and re-installed
- carpeting removed

Immediately upcoming:
- evict the colony of ants living in the front passenger floorboard (discovered upon lifting insulation)
- clean floorboard and probably deaden with rubberized coating prior to Noico dampening and insulation
- clean, prime and paint roof trim pieces to better match headliner
- vacuum and power wash the carpet, let bake in the sun for a day or two, scotch guard and re-install

Be well everyone! 🙂

1 - 4 of 4 Posts