Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should of paid the ridiculous charge to drain and fill my 2018 RLT 2wd RL transmission. Out of factory warranty but on extended plan. Took everything I had to get this 74yo beached whale under the front. Found what looked like the trans drain plug (3/8 square insert) facing passenger side close to the middle behind a flange. Took an Abrams tank to bust it loose. Out pours what appears and smells like trans fluid. And pour and pour. Almost filled up my 7qt catch pan. Thought engine oil but stick is showing full. Trans stick dry one side but clinging other side at normal mark. Was full both sides before drain.
What have I done and what should I do. Did I just dump the torque converter? Professional advice please. Help as I probably will have to order more DW-1 than the 4 qts I have now.
Thanks from desperate beach whale.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That’s the trans fluid. Local dealer should have DW1 in a pinch. Only other thing under there that isn’t oil is the transfer case and it has very little fluid by comparison. Worst case you could put back in what you drained until you get more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is fwd only so hopefully no transfer case but I even see that debated on the forum. Checked you tube videos afterwards (I know) and all show drain outbound on driver side out in open. Is it common to drain that much fluid ? Thanks for clarification.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6 quarts is the normal amount if I remember correctly.
OK everything I have read calls for 3,3 qts. From where I drained may of emptied the torque converter also. So I guess I am asking what safeguards do I take not to burn up the tc before fluid circulates? If I did drain the tc or the trans might of just been overfilled by the dealer 30k ago. A lot of trans fluid for sure came out.

·
Administrator
14,602 Posts
It's not possible to drain the torque converter without removing the transmission from the vehicle, so 3.3 quarts is all you should get out of it.

There is no transfer case on 2WD models.

I don't believe it's physically possible to overfill the transmission by nearly 3.7 quarts. Even if it were, you'd almost certainly have have experienced noises, overheating, and/or shifting problems.

I'd pour 3.3 quarts in and re-check the level.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
When I drained my 17' AWD RTL I got out over 4 quarts. Probably around 4.2 I'd guess. I used a 2 gallon bucket that had measuring points on the inside of it. I put 4 quarts back in and it was good on the stick and has been working fine for around 3 -4k miles since January when i did it in my garage. No issues at all. I'd measure those into quarts exactly and see what you got out. Put back in 4 quarts (if more and then then check on the stick). If more needed add more in. Genuine Honda DW-1 available at dealer. Other alternatives are available with Valvoline offering one that is DW-1 compatible according to the bottle I read at Walmart. Your call.

Steve used DW-1 on his.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is exactly what I did. Poured the catch can into a gal jug and filled to the top with a little left over. Replaced with 3.5 qts and will check level after I drive about 1/2 mile tomorrow. Already ordered another 4 qts DW1 from Amazon with points free so why not. So is it possible the drain on AWD and fwd are in different locations?

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
I doubt the transmission is in a different place on a FWD vs AWD. The only difference would be the additional add on of a transfer case. Engine and transmissions are identical on Ridgelines.

Steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited by Moderator)
Well now dropped tiny dipstick into Oblivion so think will contact dealer to have trans filter replaced and find the dipstick. I know filter supposively lifetime but we all know no such thing.

Dealer said filter is not even on maintenance menu and is only replaced when torque converter is replaced. Never seen one clogged. Same with fuel filter that only goes bad along with pump when running out of fuel.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,102 Posts
Honda Automatic Transmissions are more similar to a manual transmission than a traditional automatic. The filter is buried deep inside the transmission, a full rebuild is required to replace the filter

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,602 Posts
Honda Automatic Transmissions are more similar to a manual transmission than a traditional automatic. The filter is buried deep inside the transmission, a full rebuild is required to replace the filter
Unlike the G1, the G2 with 6-spd uses an external filter (25430-PLR-003) that is easily replaceable and costs around $30 from a dealer. Below picture is of a Pilot 6-spd Transmission, but the location of the filter is identical to the 6-spd G2.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally rescued my trans dip stick. I will now strap on some sort of recovery line if I drop it down into that deep crevice again. Not in the manual is procedure for checking level. Warm engine running in Park? Or off. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,583 Posts
Not in the manual is procedure for checking level. Warm engine running in Park? Or off.
Attached FYI, level check procedure at the end ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I filled thru the dipstick tube as I didn't find a filler hole by the firewall. I also engineered a safety strap so I don't loose the stick to Oblivion if dropped. Noticed the G1 has plenty of open space around the dipstick. Not so on my G2.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,602 Posts
The drain bolt is not by the firewall, it is on the bottom and towards the front of the transmission.... front is by the Radiator.

Glad you got it all sorted out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thx found that drain plug but was referring to the fill hole that is supposively in back, driver side, close to firewall. Didn't find that so used dipstick tube to fill. Not so easy to get to on G2. A snap on G1.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thx found that drain plug but was referring to the fill hole that is supposively in back, driver side, close to firewall. Didn't find that so used dipstick tube to fill. Not so easy to get to on G2. A snap on G1.
Believe it says you need to remove the breather pipe for the air intake. seems like extra work for same results

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,602 Posts
Yup yup. Fill bolt is right under the intake pipe. I have same issue trying to get to it on my G1 and is better with the intake tubing off.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts