Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
I started to remove the breather tube, etc, to reach the fill bolt, but ultimately decided like many others in this forum to just fill from the dipstick tube using a long funnel. It's much easier!

Registered
I also just finished the fluid and filter change on my 2018 and filled via dipstick tube with a long funnel and the Flo tool from Advance Auto which made filling the tranny simple. I wasn't even unaware there was an actual fill bolt on the top of the unit. So my question is: Are we shortchanging the amount of fluid we can put into the transmission by using the dipstick tube rather than the fill bolt? I ask this because the fill tube is in a lower location on the transmission than the fill bolt.

Premium Member
So my question is: Are we shortchanging the amount of fluid we can put into the transmission by using the dipstick tube rather than the fill bolt? I ask this because the fill tube is in a lower location on the transmission than the fill bolt.
No, the fluid would flow out of the dipstick hole if it was below the correct level of fluid. If the fluid is coming out of the dipstick hole the level is too high.

Registered
2014 Sport
I also just finished the fluid and filter change on my 2018 and filled via dipstick tube with a long funnel and the Flo tool from Advance Auto which made filling the tranny simple. I wasn't even unaware there was an actual fill bolt on the top of the unit. So my question is: Are we shortchanging the amount of fluid we can put into the transmission by using the dipstick tube rather than the fill bolt? I ask this because the fill tube is in a lower location on the transmission than the fill bolt.
You fill the transmission based on a specific fluid amount not on overflow from the fill bolt (like for the front transfer case or rear diff.) Basically you drain the fluid and then refill with the amount specced in the manual just like an oil change. It makes no difference whether you are filling it through the fill bolt or the dipstick tube. . . .You should check your fluid level afterwards to fine tune exactly how much to add since it can vary from vehicle to vehicle and the particular pitch that the vehicle is sitting at when you are doing the dump and fill.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts