Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a RTL in the US and registering it in Canada since the cost saving is approx 5K, however the dealer informed me that the warranty would be invalid.

Apparently this policy is unique to Honda, as transferring the warranty between countries with other Japanese manufactures is not an issue.

Is this true and is there anyway around this?

Thanks!

L

·
0 Posts
Gulf Island Ridge said:
I am considering purchasing a RTL in the US and registering it in Canada since the cost saving is approx 5K, however the dealer informed me that the warranty would be invalid.

Apparently this policy is unique to Honda, as transferring the warranty between countries with other Japanese manufactures is not an issue.

Is this true and is there anyway around this?

Thanks!
I don't have the legal knowledge of this but it doesn't seem right. What if you lived in the States and moved to Canada while your vehicle was still under warranty. Would it still be void?? Hmmmm......I think I would call Honda rather than rely on a dealer.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I've read on many items (electronics, etc.) that taking that item out of the country voids the warranty.

I was also at a Honda dealership one day waiting on service when someone had a vehicle they had bought from a questionable source find out that the vehicle was a Canadian version and couldn't get the warranty done in the US.

I would say that you received the correct information.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I Emailed every dealer in Western Canada, from Edmonton. The winner hands down was Carter Honda in Van. PM me for details if you like.

·
Registered
319 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
My experience as a Canadian owner of an American Ridgeline.
In the fall of 2008 I purchased a US 2008 Ridgeline with less than 9000 miles on it. It had factory nav, rear camera/sensors, sun roof, roof rack, leather interior, running boards, hood and roof deflectors, trailer hitch package, side wind deflectors, side moldings, tonneau cover and voice activated cabin features.
I was informed that I would not have a warranty in Canada.
I have driven this vehicle though Canadian summers of 80F & 90F degree heat and winters of -20F for the last 6 years and other than routine maintenance have not needed or missed the warranty.
I estimated that I saved approx $10,000.00 on the purchase price, so in actual $'s I am still way ahead, and I have some extra features that I could not find on Canadian Ridgelines.
With the reliability of Honda vehicles I feel that a Warranty is a minor issue in ownership.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
.... and I suppose if you ever had any really serious warranty issues (like engine, transmission), you could just scoot on back over the border to get them attended to by Honda America???

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
From my 2007 RL's warranty, Not all may have been pasted accurately:

Traveling Outside the United States
own safety and emissions standards that differ from U.S. requirements.
models with different equipment and specifications, the dealer may not have parts that are suitable for your U.S. vehicle.

If you are planning to use your Honda to travel outside the U.S., you may want to contact Honda Automobile Customer Service. They can give you information on Honda distributors in the area you plan to visit. You should also contact the tourist bureaus in the areas you will be traveling in to find out about the availability of unleaded gasoline with the proper octane rating.

If you plan to export your vehicle to another country and register it there, we recommend that you contact the vehicle import agency in that country to determine the requirements. American Honda does not have this information.

Warranty Coverage Outside the United States
Relocating Outside the United States
Honda dealers outside the U.S. may not honor these warranties. If you have your U.S.-specification Honda serviced by a Honda dealer in another country (while on vacation, for example), and that service would normally be covered by one of the warranties in this booklet, please contact American Honda.

Any vehicle purchased from an authorized Honda dealer in this country is manufactured to meet U.S. government safety and emissions specifications. Other countries not only market different Honda models, they also have their
Getting your vehicle serviced in another country may be difficult, even if you take it to a Honda dealer.

Be advised that modifications to your vehicle to meet another country's requirements may be very expensive and, in some cases, impossible to perform. Parts to modify a vehicle to meet foreign specifications are not available in the U.S.

The warranties in this booklet cover only Hondas purchased and registered in the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Hondas registered and normally driven in other countries are not covered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts