Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to add a couple of USB ports to my lower center console to power my phone or GPS. I was tired of the long cables hanging out of the 12V power receptacles.

I picked up a Dual USB Auto Charger at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875991217

I see now that it is $17. I bought it for $8 on sale. It is good for 2A so it will power just about everything.

Many other USB Chargers will work but I suggest getting a 2 amp version that has a bezel or widening at the top to cover the rough hole in the plate.

The first step is to remove the lower center console using the instructions on this website:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=76398&postcount=10

The wired connectors are easily removed by finding the correct tab to compress which unlocks the connectors.

Next unscrew the plate between the seat heater switches. I put masking tape over the plastic, drew lines from top to bottom and side to side at the centers. In my case, the USB charger was 13/16” and I used a circle template to draw the circle. A Dremel tool was used to carve out the hole.

The shoulders of the USB Charger were a bit rounded underneath so I cut them back to sit the USB Charger flush to the plate.

Glue the USB charger into the plate using 5 minute epoxy. Screw the plate back in the console.

Solder wires from the USB Charger to one power receptacle. Keep the solder to a minimum so the plug will still fit over and lock. The center of the power receptacle is wired to the center of the USB Charger. The negative wire is soldered from the side of the USB Charger to the side tab of the power receptacle. Ensure that it is soldered low down on the tab.

Place the console in the truck to connect the wires to the receptacles and seat heater switches. Turn on the truck and test. If all goes well, put the console back the way you found it.

Attachments

· Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,176 Posts
Very useful and easy project! Good work!

· Registered
10,176 Posts
I actually have a dual USB charger thing just like this one. I use it from time to time in the power outlet. I'm not sure if I really use it enough to make it "built in" like this, but it's certainly something to consider. Two simple wire solders and that's it. I've had the lower console out a few times, so it wouldn't take me more than an hour or two. Definitely a nice little mid that Honda should have done from the factory.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
2,199 Posts
Cool mod. I actually have a little adapter like this. I usually have my GPS and my phone plugged in at the same time and I could benefit from this, its just I'm not sure if I'd use it enough to go through the hassle.

Seems simple enough to wire and I'm pretty decent with the soldering iron.

Good job!

· Registered
651 Posts
I put an Aux-In jack in that spot in the dash. For power I installed a power point inside the center console and use a 2.1A dual USB adapter in it. This lets me power two phones, or whatever, w/o any wires running from the dash to the console, everything is hidden. I also did the relay mod that allows the power points in the console to be powered on all the time. It's more work but I'm very happy with the look and functionality

· Registered
35 Posts
thanks for posting the link with the diagram of how to remove that lower bezel, its just what I was looking for!
I installed a GROM HON1U2P, charges and syncs my android phone thru USB and allows me to use the steering wheel control to flip thru songs using their app,

· Registered
1,162 Posts
I installed a GROM HON1U2P, charges and syncs my android phone thru USB and allows me to use the steering wheel control to flip thru songs using their app,

Hunh ?
What ?
What is this device ?
I can control my droid via the steering wheel controls (that I do not have yet )
can you link me something on this ?

· Registered
35 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Adapter...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c35b3f82b&vxp=mtr

that one there hooks into the XM plug in the back of the factory six disc changer head unit, you lose the XM capability, but I never used it anyway, then install the usb into the dash, as shown in this post, add the app to your Android, and you can control the music, and charge using one usb cable, you can also plug a USB stick into it and play and control with steering wheel as well, I'm loving it so far,

that one also comes with a headphone jack to listen to mp3 devices (no steering wheel control) and another usb strictly for charging your devices AND you can get the extra cable and connect your device via bluetooth,

· Registered
1,162 Posts
oooooooh thanks.
I am gonna have to look into this once I complete my steering wheel control conversion. Its going to be tricky cause I have Sirius ( not XM ) and I dont want to loose that, but I would LOVE to control my droid from the steering wheel too.

That would be awesome.

· Registered
12 Posts
I have a Sport so no seat warmers, I have to warm the seat the old fashion way. Anyway, since I don't, the buttons between the power ports are all blanks (what is the center one for?). I was thinking of doing this mod to the two blanks to either side of the power ports. But then I came across this:

Has anyone used these or something like them? Don't know if they would fit where the blanks are. I know it says for Honda but I'm sure they list the same thing for every manufacture.

Thought?

· Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Very cool! It looks like it might almost fit. But like most things I think will work, I always seem to get caught up in the 'almost'.

It looks like it would fit in the blank next to the VSA switch. Not the more square blank between the dash power sockets.

Someone did mod the power socket panel by using a round USB charge socket in the square blank. Then they wired & soldered the plug connections to the power socket connections on either side.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42654&highlight=USB+power+socket&page=3

If you do some searches you will find a couple of other threads; same topic.

· Registered
10,176 Posts
For $10, it's certainly worth a shot. I'm not quite sure where you'd tap in for power, but I'm sure it would come with some sort of instructions. Try it out! If it happens to fit, I would be interested in getting one for the center position between my seat heater switches. I use a plug in USB thing in the accessory outlets now which I don't particularly care for.

· Registered
12 Posts
I ordered two. I'm thinking it may be a bit smaller then the current blanks. If so I'll get out the old xacto knife.

That company sells a bunch of these types of items. Some look even better and light-up. :act018:

Will keep you posted.

· Premium Member
11,332 Posts
For $10, it's certainly worth a shot. I'm not quite sure where you'd tap in for power, but I'm sure it would come with some sort of instructions. Try it out! If it happens to fit, I would be interested in getting one for the center position between my seat heater switches. I use a plug in USB thing in the accessory outlets now which I don't particularly care for.
Just jump it over to the power socket outside of the heater switches. The circuit should be able to handle the load of typical things for which you would use USB.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.