Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Put a ton of music on a usb drive and connected it to the usb port on the ridgeline but i get an error message that it cant read the drive.
I can play music from the usb when i plug into computer.
Is there a specific file format that i would need to be able to play in the truck.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I don't remember all the details, but yes there are some specific compatibility guidelines. I think if you search this forum you should be able to find them. They might also be in the manual, but I don't remember specifically. Been a long time since I set up my USB drive.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
937 Posts
You need to format as FAT32. If you're using a 64GB card or higher you'll need to use a third party utility to do it. There are free ones available, including "fat32format".

Then make sure your music files are MP3, WMA, or AAC. It won't play lossless formats.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
It also has to be DRM free music. MP3 can be lossless format - I use mp3 compressed to 96 bps as the sound system in cars being driven does not sound any better at higher rates.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Are you sure about that?
I think I remember testing this and the system didn't like it. But I could be wrong
Lossless - yes - variable compression - does not always play correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a brand new '21 Sport and tons of music (mix of MP3 and WMA and well over 45Gb worth) and no matter what format song is the shitty system has that volume warble (reminds me of when your old cassette tapes were shot). Got tired of Honda Customer service NEVER responding to my numerous calls so I'm going to local dealer and I'm gonna have 'em write a ticket with exact same wording every time I go and go after HONDA legally. Amazing how the loaner I got, had the Katskinz put in the sport, played my USB music fine and also the RT-LE version I looked at!!!!!!
Forgot to add that I have tried every version of USB 1.0, 2.0 and 3.1 with no change (my 2019 Nissan frontier and 2016 Hyundai Gen coupe had no issues either!!!)

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
654 Posts
The files have to be mp3s , I had all my music in windows WMA because mp3 quality sucks, but the crappy infotainment computer can't deal with it. Well over 5000 songs and I had to convert them all.
Anyway, Honda likes crappy small files, that's the takeaway.
There are very good quality MP3 and very poor quality WMA transcodings. But if you are talking about WMA lossless there is no MP3 comparison. But Mp3 above bitrates of 192 definitely does not suck IMO, unless you are an audiofile with excellent equipment and perfect ears in completely quiet surroundings.

·
Registered
928 Posts
There are very good quality MP3 and very poor quality WMA transcodings. But if you are talking about WMA lossless there is no MP3 comparison. But Mp3 above bitrates of 192 definitely does not suck IMO, unless you are an audiofile with excellent equipment and perfect ears in completely quiet surroundings.
Yea, I have hundreds of CD's I ripped into my computer and on backup, all at WMA lossless at the highest bitrate (it's been a few years and I really don't remember all the details. I originally ripped them to a dedicated computer just to play music through my home stereo surround sound Denon Receiver / klipsch speakers. Later I added a Sonos to get music outside which works great loading up music from my catalog and listen to pool side. But again, Sonos was picky about file formats. Now as far as listening to music in the car/truck, I learned years ago when I had my Volvos that the best way to go was dump my collection on a flash drive and I never looked back.

And yes it took a very long time to load all those cd's into the computer - ugg.

But as many have said, Honda's Infotainment kind of blows, yes you can make do, but lots of sacrifice. Although I am sure the younger generations don't give a rat's backside about sound quality and they stream crap from their phones and are happy paying Spotify on a monthly basis to listen to a song, but I am firm believer in buying a cd and owning it for life. I am getting off topic with my rant. sorry.

·
Premium Member
2021 Obsidian Blue RTL
288 Posts
Ok So I'm getting ready to rip some CD's.
What's the best I can do for reliable play quality for my '21 RTL?

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,573 Posts
Ok So I'm getting ready to rip some CD's.
What's the best I can do for reliable play quality for my '21 RTL?
Download ExactAudioCopy (EAC) and rip at 320kbps, save to FAT32-formatted USB stick(s).

CDEX is another common CD ripper that works faster than EAC, but there is more chance for errors (errors are often caused by ripping scratched CDs, burned CDs, warped CDs, etc.).

If you go into the settings of the ripping programs, you can also change other things besides bit rate. I don't remember them now, but they are either straightforward or the default is fine.

You can also allow these programs to connect to the internet so that they automatically download the album info. That way, you don't have to manually enter song names, artists, etc.

All of this stuff was done long ago, so it is free! 😁

I remember I also used a program to normalize the volume on all of my mp3s, so that I wouldn't have the issue of some being loud while others were quiet.

I got a dozen usb sticks off Amazon and put different genres of music on each one. I then select whichever stick I'm in the mood for, plug it in and shuffle-play.... works great on the 5" color radio in my '19 RTL.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Download ExactAudioCopy (EAC) and rip at 320kbps, save to FAT32-formatted USB stick(s).

CDEX is another common CD ripper that works faster than EAC, but there is more chance for errors (errors are often caused by ripping scratched CDs, burned CDs, warped CDs, etc.).

If you go into the settings of the ripping programs, you can also change other things besides bit rate. I don't remember them now, but they are either straightforward or the default is fine.

You can also allow these programs to connect to the internet so that they automatically download the album info. That way, you don't have to manually enter song names, artists, etc.

All of this stuff was done long ago, so it is free! 😁

I remember I also used a program to normalize the volume on all of my mp3s, so that I wouldn't have the issue of some being loud while others were quiet.

I got a dozen usb sticks off Amazon and put different genres of music on each one. I then select whichever stick I'm in the mood for, plug it in and shuffle-play.... works great on the 5" color radio in my '19 RTL.
Just to be clear, when you say to rip at 320 kbps, you are recommending to rip in MP3 format at 320kbps?
From what I have read, MP3, WMA, and AAC are the formats supported by Honda audio.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I use Media Monkey to convert and manage my music - Its free to try - I bought it years ago.
Works in Windows and in Wine on Linux (you have to ignore the warning pop ups in Wine).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great discussion. I was playing with my new to me 2020 the other day and while I got the music to play off the drive, the display didnt seem to work well with the folder structure and would not go all the way to the root directory of the usb. It seemed to show all the album folders in a very long list rather than letting me go to an artist say Elton John and then drill down to the individual albums which are all in their own folders.

I did have this same drive working in my last car a 2016 Avalon and it also worked ok in the Mercedes E class before that. I did have to do a scan to get it to see all the folder it does have now, but it is a real PIA to have to scroll down the whole list. I may just have to resign myself to using the phone through android auto which at least lets me pick them by the artist and album.

To add to the conversation above, I have been using exact audio copy to rip cds for years to MP3's and I always thought the quality was very good, even compressed.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Great discussion. I was playing with my new to me 2020 the other day and while I got the music to play off the drive, the display didnt seem to work well with the folder structure and would not go all the way to the root directory of the usb. It seemed to show all the album folders in a very long list rather than letting me go to an artist say Elton John and then drill down to the individual albums which are all in their own folders.

I did have this same drive working in my last car a 2016 Avalon and it also worked ok in the Mercedes E class before that. I did have to do a scan to get it to see all the folder it does have now, but it is a real PIA to have to scroll down the whole list. I may just have to resign myself to using the phone through android auto which at least lets me pick them by the artist and album.

To add to the conversation above, I have been using exact audio copy to rip cds for years to MP3's and I always thought the quality was very good, even compressed.
Yeah I think that's the best you can do. I've got around 500 albums as 500 separate album folders and have to scroll through one at a time. I've tried to organize in different ways, like folders for A through E etc, but like you said, the truck won't see them so you can't drill down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts