Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 2017 RTL-E stereo support CarPlay over bluetooth or must the phone be plugged in to use it?

I can use my phone over bluetooth for music, phone, pandora, etc...

But I can only get to the CarPlay screen when the phone is actually plugged in via a physical cable.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
A lightning cable is required - carplay is not supported via bluetooth.
And - only the USB port below the head unit supports carplay.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The only vehicle on the market that supports the wireless version of CarPlay right now is the 2017 BMW 5 series. Alpine introduced an aftermarket in-dash receiver earlier this year, but it's not available for purchase yet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the confirmation guys. Would be kewl if there was a USB dongle that could used as a solution.

Make the Honda head unit "think" the iPhone is physically connected. ;-)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I kinda was disappointed my 2017 Accord EX-L didn't have wireless CarPlay, but then I realized it's usually plugged in to charge, anyway, so it's really no big deal. I guess the ultimate solution would be wireless CarPlay AND wireless charging, but Honda doesn't have wireless CarPlay and Apple doesn't have wireless charging at this time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love the head unit especially with the new laws in cali.

Starting January 1st, it will be illegal to hold and operate electronic devices, including smart phones, while driving. Such devices can still be used by drivers, but there are new restrictions.

First, the device must be mounted on the dash, the center console or in one of the lower corners of the windshield. it cannot be placed anywhere that impairs a drivers view or blocks the possible deployment of airbags.

Second, drivers must use hands free technology, such as voice command or Bluetooth. If they have to touch a screen, the new law only allows for “the motion of a single swipe or tap of the driver’s finger.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
With the proclip dash mount for my iPhone I can tap my phone with ease and still keep my eyes on the road. I have found that Siri works very well and it is simple to activate music, navigation, texting or calls. I bought a black cable to blend in with the interior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
The closest I ever came to rear-ending someone I was playing with the radio. My cell phone was in my pocket. I have a feeling "anti-texting" laws won't be very effective.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
The closest I ever came to rear-ending someone I was playing with the radio. My cell phone was in my pocket. I have a feeling "anti-texting" laws won't be very effective.
I just posted on a similar thread about the Bluetooth Vs CarPlay debate/controversy. But you make one of the best observations regarding safety, a definite consideration that needs to weigh in.

Then there's the split opinions over what eco system you've committed to regarding interconnected devices over the years. I mean who wants to acknowledge that bullet sweating moment, "Yikes, what a fool I was after all the money I've spent on 18 devices for the lesser of the 2 systems. Holy s___!"

That probably has formed the basis for why people hold such a strong belief in one compared to the other. Ultimately for me it's sound quality and bluetooth connected audio is still compressed, and, where fidelity is sacrificed, that just won't cut it for me. I mean why deliver inferior fidelity to the Ridgeline audio system which is practically universally thought of as perhaps one of the best OEM systems ever put in a vehicle?

I installed CarPlay as soon as Alpine units came out in 2014. I mean, come on, 2 seconds to plug it in. The interface I find to be flawless. And being able to get all my music through iTunes Match in my opinion can’t be beat. But I know coloring my opinion is the Apple eco system I've already invested in.

I am about to throw my entire library on my 7+ since the 256 storage is so humongous. As for mapping, I use a mounted iPad because bigger really is better in this case, and WAZE — the most efficient way to move around and avoid jam-ups — is not available on CarPlay…not yet anyway. I mean, Google didn’t pay a $billion for WAZE for nothing.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts