Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share my experience with ROC members on how I began our (successful) truck search. Hopes this helps folks. By the way, my husband purchased a Nighthawk black pearl RT 10/31 and just picked it up last night....

Also, the ROC site was VERY HELPFUL with giving me important info on VIN# of the truck, service notices, the checklist (when you pick up your truck), and all types of other info you'd never know if you weren't a member of this terrific site! I was initially looking for info on an Element and found the Element owners site..then this one. It was a Godsend!

Use the internet and find your local (or not so local) Honda Dealer Website. I priced trucks over 70 miles away...in hopes of a super deal. Yep, we were willing to spend the gas and time to drive to a dealership further out from the 'big city'...and I did get some great quotes from Modesto, Stockton; dealers an hour out from San Jose. The savings was well worth the homework; some well over $800 difference; and all had the same base models! You can also use the emails to get prices down from one dealer to the next.
You can Google the dealer name if you don't know the URL, and you'll get the web site that way. Most are 'ABChonda.com'...and usually come up on the net.
Find on the dealer site "free quote"...and put in what you are looking for: Black RTS with Beige interior, White RS with Olive Green interior. Give 1-2 choices if you are ok with the color/interior picks. Some dealer sites even have listed inventory; but not sure how up-to-date that is.
Once you put in what you are looking for (hey, no phoney info...the dealer needs it to call or email you with the quote!), the dealer will usually email you with 12-24 hours. I also requested NO PHONE CALLS...so if you don't want the calls, just list your email. I was very lucky to get some quotes THAT DAY!
You will be contacted by the 'Internet Manager'. NOTE: You must do your sales transaction with the Internet Manager in order for the price to be valid (and not a regular floor salesperson)

Quite often, these 'internet' prices are almost a secret! I received numerous emails once I asked for quotes that also saved us money. We found out about a limited time special on Honda Financing (that was not in any newspaper ads), and it was a LOWER rate than what we got from the credit union-via email.
We also received email 'coupon incentives' from the Internet Managers for added $$ off the price if I simply brought in the printed email. Over Halloween, they dropped the price a few hundred bucks to get you in the door to buy (note: end of month). You can also find service and accessory coupons that are no longer sent out snail mail on these dealer websites. Just another excuse to buy yet MORE Ridge accessories when they are 10%-20% off retail prices. More savings in your pocket by just looking for the coupons on these sites.

'Internet shopping' saved us lots of hassle from verbally negotiating-unless it is something you enjoy doing. Folks, the computer/internet IS the way things are going with car buying.

I also had good luck with Craigslist.org-a free site world-wide that lists everything under the sun. Search under FOR SALE;'cars/trucks', and plug in 2005 Honda Accord, 2006 Honda Ridgeline (or whatever make/model you are looking for). Dealers in California are now using Craigslist to blow out end-of-year inventory and often list prices you won't get from the newspaper (or any other source). Not sure if 'CL' is being used this way in other states, but it is very popular in Northern Calif. where it was 'born'.

I found our dealer through Craigslist. He did not list prices or his location (I had to email him to find out who they were), but said he had lots of Ridgelines on the lot (he did). We ended up getting such a great price from him; after I did 2 weeks of internet shopping from over 10 dealers here in NorCal. He had both the black and white RT (the white with green interior); a tough one to find. The RT model is also hard to find as well...

I also used Cars.com, Edmunds.com (a super place to begin and they list MSRP/Invoice prices on ALL MAKES AND MODELS)., Autobytel.com, etc. Dealers pay to sign up with these sites and offer special 'internet' pricing on all makes/models of trucks. Just know EXACTLY what you want; model, color. Look for the 'quote me' area on these web pages. It doesn't cost you a dime.
Also, if the truck is on the lot, they want it off the lot--and the deal could be better if you took their inventory. We were interested only in RT model in either White or Black. No added accessories.

We went truck shopping during the week (far less people) at the dealerships (I'm talking about crowded Northern california)...and more attention and longer test drives from the dealer.

Another smart idea: Buy at the end of the month. Dealers wanting inventory off the lot and are more open to dealing and to make a monthly quota. We got our RT 10/31 and were literally the only people in the showroom!

If you have any further questions, I would love to help you out to the best of my feeble ability. I'm not a car salesperson...but a graphic artist and a woman! I was with my husband through the entire transaction and helped him get the best deal possible (he works construction and can't get to a computer during the day; when most sales people are doing business).

Please also note: A little bit of knowledge is dangerous...but I do hope that my ramblings will help a few folks get a solid base for entering a dealership with getting the best price for their truck (and helping the dealer get that inventory off the lot-to a happy Honda buyer)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Congrats on your new truck. BTW I did the Costco fleet sales but maybe next time I'll try the internet.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I worked with several "internet managers" at various dealerships in the area... ended up getting my RTL w/ Navi for $100 over invoice back in July.. I'm sure it irks the dealerships that we can all shop around so easily now thanks to the innernet, but hey, all's fair in love and war and car shopping! :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree with the internet buying. I used Edmunds & autobytel & had numerous dealers competing for the best price. It sure beats wasting time going dealer to dealer! All I had to do was go to the dealer that I chose, signed the papers & went home with my new Ridgeline! Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
The RL is the third vehicle I have purchased through internet bidding and I will never purchase another vehicle any other way. No stress, no hassle, no salesman.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, for those who are AAA members, go to the AAA site and click on the dealer of your choice. AAA also offers special dealer phone numbers and sales people who give no hassle 'AAA' quotes on Ridgelines (etc.). I found after one call, the AAA price was HIGHER vs internet. But, if you aren't that into 'shopping' and spending a few weeks emailing for prices, this is a way to at least get a set price (below MSRP) with minimal work on your end. Good luck all to getting the best price on your Ridgeline (or any other new vehicle of your choice).

·
Registered
856 Posts
The Internet is the best way to buy a truck. I think I might have done better financing my truck if I had used the "Honda Financing".

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Internet is the best way to buy a truck.Searching Sale prices from ROC
members.. Set your Truck price .then dealing from there.. I could not deal W/saleman. they always starting W/unreal high prices... They love
frist time buyers...they think you are a Big fish .. big fish of the day
while we thinking about the "TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2006 "

1 - 9 of 9 Posts